Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passive income streams

Options
  • 22-01-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

What are your favourite passive income streams and why?

I'm invested in dividend stocks which generate a nice return, I let them sit in my broker account and reinvest end of the year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

And how do you meet the tax due on the Dividends received if you are reinvesting the full amount received?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

E30i wrote: »
    And how do you meet the tax due on the Dividends received if you are reinvesting the full amount received?

I'm self assessed so it falls under my income tax computation each year, I pay it along with whatever else I owe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

So you pay the tax due from other income, that makes sense, does that make it harder for you to keep track of the actual passive income you are receiving if it is Gross. Just curious as it sounds like you have a good way of doing it.

My passive income is 10 year saving certs.

E30i wrote: »
    So you pay the tax due from other income, that makes sense, does that make it harder for you to keep track of the actual passive income you are receiving if it is Gross. Just curious as it sounds like you have a good way of doing it.

My passive income is 10 year saving certs.

Yes - good point, I don't really track it, I'm any case I'd just use the higher tax band to get a sense of the after tax receipt

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What are your favourite passive income streams and why?

I'm invested in dividend stocks which generate a nice return, I let them sit in my broker account and reinvest end of the year

Why? It does not seem that you need the income... Why not concentrate on capital appreciation and avoid the income taxes?

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Why? It does not seem that you need the income... Why not concentrate on capital appreciation and avoid the income taxes?

Indeed I'm not just invested in div stocks

I'm not sure - I like the idea of passive income, making money while you sleep. I know I'm getting screwed IT wise but they are companies I want to hold for the long term anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

OP - what's your favourite / best dividend stock?

BailMeOut wrote: »
    OP - what's your favourite / best dividend stock?

Good question, bae systems probably. Visa, mastercard too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Good question, bae systems probably. Visa, mastercard too

thanks. Smurfit Kappa dividends are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

BailMeOut wrote: »
    thanks. Smurfit Kappa dividends are pretty good.

stock price is cheap too

• Advertisement
Advertisement