Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal unauthorised transactions

• 20-01-2020 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

My paypal account had 10 €650 transactions to euro disney ran through over a number of days. My account was linked to my aib bank account and the money left my account.

Got refunded by aib but paypai now saying i owe them the money.

I disputed this with paypal and they have denied my appeal, which i am flabbergasted about.

I now have negative balance of around €6000 which they say i owe them and will no doubt be passed to a debt collector if i do not pay.
    I also had around €800 paypal balance which i cannot access now.

Their reason for denying my appeal is that the transactions are consistent with the devices i use and my ip address.
    No idea how they did it, if they were able to log in remotely so the ip would be the same but i naively thought that as long as you kept you password secure and never left your account comprimised in any way that you would be refunded without problems.

Looking online it seems to be a common enough excuse they give to deny a case.

Anyone have similar experience or can give me any advise at all?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Sorry to hear about your situation. Its strange that the ips were similar or matching. If you are getting nowhere with the appeals process and have spoken to management about it also, i would contact the CEO Dan Schulman.

It will be passed on to his executive complaints team and will be dealt with accordingly. Its worth a shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

If the transactions were to eurodisney is it possible they were for accommodation or tickets that haven't been used yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Further to that question - were the thieves present at the resort making all these charges and were normal precautions taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Just wondering if you contacted PayPal about this security breach before contacting your bank and starting g a charge back ?
    I can’t work out how they matched your IP address and password, are you using a vpn at all ?

I assume they are but it looks like paypal don't make any effort to investigate at all once there is no differnene in IP.
    I'm assuming they logged on remotely with a vpn but as I was saying to paypal, i don't understand the in's and out 's of how they can hack in, they are the tech company, they should know, but they don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its YOUR responsibility to keep your password confidential. Why weren't you using TWO FACTOR? Paypal have offered this for DONKEYS.

When you signed up to paypal you agreed to use their dispute processes. A chargeback really really pisses off Paypal - rightly so. The thief probably just knew it was an Irish account, VPN'd to Dublin and it wouldn't have red flagged with PP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sorry this happened to you OP, my Facebook was hacked last year and I had €600 taken from my PayPal which was linked to my business Facebook account.

Then money was used to advertise fake timberland shoes to males ages 35-45 in Russia on Instagram.

Bank said call PayPal
    PayPal said call Facebook.

After 3 days Facebook decided I was hacked.

I had 2 step anthorisation on Facebook, Google and PayPal.

I hope you find a solution.

Advertisement