Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registering an online business

Options
  • 15-01-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm starting an online business that I'll be working at from home initially. It will be in the digital marketing field.

As far as I can glean from my web research, it's best to set up as a sole trader. Since I won't be raising any money and I anticipate having limited exposure to liabilities.

Since I'll be a sole trader, I'm under the impression that I don't have to register with cro.ie. But I do have to register for tax.

Is this difficult ? Should I get an accountant to do it for me ? Or can I take care of it myself ? Money is a concern.

Will I encounter difficulties registering because I'm working from home ? Is a digital marketing business allowed to be run from the home ?

Is it easy to find for my prospective customer's to find out whether I'm registered for tax or not ? At the moment I'm doing mostly pro bono work.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you are trading as yourself ie. under your given name then you do not need to register with CRO
    However if you want to trade as any other name eg. "John's Services" then you'd have to register the business name with the CRO

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

Being a sole trader has its own pros and cons. But in general it's way easier in terms of taxes and other legal stuff, so if you are savvy enough with numbers, spreadsheets or other accounting software you can do all this yourself.
    You can do it yourself even with limited companies(Micro and Small only) but the amount of tax work is a little bit increased and you also will have to upload yearly reports to CRO, for companies of medium and above size you must have an auditor that will audit your business every year and sign financial reports to CRO.

In either case you need to register a business name with CRO if you want to create an .ie domain other than your personal name.
    Even if you dont want irish domain I'd suggest regisring business name either way. Then you can make your invoices look more professional and trade on behalf of this business name rather than sticking your real name everywhere.
    Is it easy to find for my prospective customer's to find out whether I'm registered for tax or not ? At the moment I'm doing mostly pro bono work.
    Your client probbaly wont care if you are registered or not. Sometimes, some big companies would require your to have VAT. But you can worry about it once you get there. Appart from that it's up to you if you register for tax or not. The only financial information a client can find is if they go to SoloCheck.ie or like and download your reports(if you have any). that's all from what i know.

Hope that helps. Ask away if youhave more questions. Many years ago I started off as a sole trader as well (web business)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Tara4 wrote: »
    I'm starting an online business .......
    As far as I can glean from my web research, it's best to set up as a sole trader. Since I won't be raising any money and I anticipate having limited exposure to liabilities..

Liability can arise from a disgruntled customer suing you for work you have done. Use the search function. THIS post explains the different trading styles.

Advertisement