Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 AO Competition announced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Cant seem to get passed the test run on the live chat question? I cant seem to answer the second question any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Madra Maith

dar100 wrote: »
    Cant seem to get passed the test run on the live chat question? I cant seem to answer the second question any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Happened to me too. I had to keep clicking round until eventually the actual live chat test began. I submitted a complaint to about it in the feedback form.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

How did everyone get on in the tests?

I found the deductive logic one the hardest. Done well in the Numerical and Verbal.

For the last test with the back and forth emails, what are they marking on? Obviously what replies you send back, but also are they looking out if you are answering more urgent emails first?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

I'm not ashamed to admit playing the odd game of sudoku so quite 'enjoyed' the deductive logic one.
    Verbal was OK, found the Numerical tough though what with only being given twelve minutes. Hope that earlier poster is right about no negative marking because I spent the last 40 secs blindly clicking (just missed passing an older sample test because I didn't answer enough, didn't want to risk that this time).

I guess you could be charitable and say the tab covering the question is intentionally done, to make it that bit harder. Bit of a pain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Well that was an experience at the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 OutForTender

Sudoku, seriously?

Tell me someone who plays sudoku a lot doesn't have a massive advantage here?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

Well that went terribly ... deductive logic was particularly tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Mother fugging Evergreen Ltd again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The replies to the email you send indicate how well you're doing. The first few words say OK or Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭doc22

Please note that you may receive responses from ‘characters’ with positive verbal affirmations. The script and questions are automatically set and are not to be interpreted as an indication of the quality or appropriateness of the answer options you have provided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Based on the Deductive Logic I'm scuppered 😅 sure gave it a go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sbibii121

My last message wouldnt send for the Situational assesement and has any had same problem. Will flag it up to them. Its abit like an etray test without having to type everything.

As for other tests numerical was challenging especially as you cant see the question whilst working it out. Alot of clicking around. Fingers crossed. Always good experience to do these tests every so often!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jenor0050

How many did people get answered for the deductive logical reasoning? I only got 7 done.... I'm assuming that is pretty poor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

All in all found it pretty straight forward. Finished the email one in about 17mins which I'm unsure whether thats good or bad. Liked the deductive reasoning one, very like sudoku.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jenor0050

Daisies wrote: »
    All in all found it pretty straight forward. Finished the email one in about 17mins which I'm unsure whether thats good or bad. Liked the deductive reasoning one, very like sudoku.

How many did you get answered for the deductive reasoning?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Jenor0050 wrote: »
    How many did you get answered for the deductive reasoning?

Phew I have no idea, I didn't count. The grid kept getting bigger. I would hazard a guess and say 9 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Jenor0050 wrote: »
    How many did people get answered for the deductive logical reasoning? I only got 7 done.... I'm assuming that is pretty poor

Would say I got much the same, and as far as I remember I got 2 wrong..

Does anyone know if the score will still be based on Verbal + Situational with just a pass required in numerical and deductive?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Would say I got much the same, and as far as I remember I got 2 wrong..

Does anyone know if the score will still be based on Verbal + Situational with just a pass required in numerical and deductive?

Also just to say, I did the HEO exams recently and although they were basically the same, I found these much harder. Mainly due to the tabs covering the questions.. which added a memory element to the exam.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Argghhhhhhhh......... need coffee after that mayhem. I thought the Soduku challenge was the hardest part- I quite liked the verbal and the numeracy- though it was more a memory game than a specific challenge- as for the situational- god only knows how it went. Its going to be interesting how they mark it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BelleEnda

Multi tabs covering questions and then Sudoku questions.

That has to rank as the oddest (and most annoying) job application I have done with publicjobs.

• Advertisement

My soduko test examples failed- they just wouldn't load- but the test went fine anyway. I left feedback. I had to go to an old computer with old fashioned Flash on it to get the damn thing to work at all- Firefox and Chrome refused to play ball...……

Most annoying as a test.

Anyone any idea of that bloody Sudoko was negatively marked or not? It was a bit off-putting how it flashed red or green on your answers as you went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Anyone any idea of that bloody Sudoko was negatively marked or not? It was a bit off-putting how it flashed red or green on your answers as you went along.

Im thinking they do now, i got through about 30 of them getting about 20 right, however my puzzle never increased in size like for the poster above

Im thinking they do now, i got through about 30 of them getting about 20 right, however my puzzle never increased in size like for the poster above

30 of them in 6 mins. Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I know some of you are mentioning sudoko, were your test puzzles numbers? Mine were shapes. The practice tests were numbers and the practice tests before the actual test were shape based puzzles.

Thoroughly strange. I don't see how their sense of our verbal/numerical skills are enhanced by covering the question.

As many here have said, it adds a memory element to the test. That's fine, in and of itself. Like, fire away and test memory if that's of use. But I'm not sure what it tells them about my reading comprehension or ability to read a graph, other than to make things more difficult and eliminate a greater number applicants (the actual point, I suppose). With the time constraints you're looking to glean the required info out of the question and then very quickly find it (or not) in the tabs; given the tricky detail/wording of some questions, even those with the best memory would struggle.

As for the sudoko, having never played before it took too long for me to even understand the object of the exercise (I'm not sure I understand it now, tbh). I've done deductive reasoning tests for other programmes before and they are usually more straightforward/obvious in what they are trying to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Numerical was pretty tough with all the tab clicking and covering. Frustrating if anything.

Verbal was grand - didn't answer them all though.

I actually had to google how to do a sudoku puzzle after reading through this thread - thanks for the tip! My grid never got any bigger and I say I had more red then green.

The Q&A back and forth was just odd. I answered them as I would in my current role and was done in 15 minutes, so unless that means I'm a crazy person??

So, all in all;
    390c475493d58a4026f2d0654525b60d.jpg

Mine definitely got larger and then smaller again...…..
    I'm guessing I did about the same- answered about 30- I know I got some of them right- how many- I haven't a clue.

Between the mad Sudoko and the verbal and numerical memory tests- its hard to perceive how or why this is anything other than an endurance test.

Heres hoping it went better than intended.

How long did people spend on the situational thingy? I had 18 minutes left when I submitted it with all tasks done. I didn't see any point in trying to double guess myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

Argghhhhhhhh......... need coffee after that mayhem. I thought the Soduku challenge was the hardest part- I quite liked the verbal and the numeracy- though it was more a memory game than a specific challenge- as for the situational- god only knows how it went. Its going to be interesting how they mark it.

I'm in the same boat, first time doing tests like that. Nothing like the CO or EO tests I did, besides Situational Awareness.

The Pop-Ups were a pain, as was trying to find the right tab with the relevant information.

Must have spent the first minute going over all the tabs to have a fair idea.

Situational Awareness was fine, wish they shortened that by ten minutes and increases both verbal and numerical by 5 minutes a piece.

Staph wrote: »
    I know some of you are mentioning sudoko, were your test puzzles numbers? Mine were shapes. The practice tests were numbers and the practice tests before the actual test were shape based puzzles.

No mine were shapes but the theory behind it was like sudoku, the shape only appearing once in the row and column.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Thanks for clarifying. I was wondering if there were different presentations of the puzzle or if we got the same.

Advertisement