Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan cake in one of the supermarkets?

• 06-07-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I would like to buy a vegan cake for a friend, and I know she eats some dark chocolate because it is vegan friendly, so I am hoping it will not be too difficult to pick up a cake in Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl or Aldi?

Does not have to be chocolate.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Coolmore (I think) recently had two vegan cakes as part of their range, stocked in Dunnes, but whatever way they were packaging them, lots of people reported spots of mold on them, so I'm not sure if they're still being stocked. Other than that, I don't think you'll be able to find anything shop bought. Depending on where you're based, you might be able to pick up brownies etc in coffee shops, or order a vegan cake from a decent baker. If you're stuck, both Insomnia and Starbucks do a vegan slice/bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks.

I am hoping this, being made with dark chocolate, may be vegan:

img_0844.jpg?w=810

To be honest, it's very unlikely. Most cakes have eggs and dairy in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Thanks.

I am hoping this, being made with dark chocolate, may be vegan:

img_0844.jpg?w=810

It says buttercream right on the front.

JPA wrote: »
    It says buttercream right on the front.

It also says the expiry date is in 2015 :D

Apparently buttercream is a style of icing, rather than the ingredients of that icing. Apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It also says the expiry date is in 2015 :D

Apparently buttercream is a style of icing, rather than the ingredients of that icing. Apparently.

Made with butter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Out of the big supermarkets Tesco would probably be the best bet but it's still a long shot.

You're best off going to a health food shop or an actual bakery, I'd say. More likely to have something and the staff are more likely to know their products and be able to help you.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Yes, could me some vegan butter alternative!
    Out of the big supermarkets Tesco would probably be the best bet but it's still a long shot.

You're best off going to a health food shop or an actual bakery, I'd say. More likely to have something and the staff are more likely to know their products and be able to help you.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Stillorgan in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yes, could me some vegan butter alternative!

Stillorgan in Dublin.

Ah I'm no good to you so, unless you fancy driving to Cork to pick one up!

It's weirdly easier to find vegan ice cream than cake if that's any help, you'll definitely get that in Aldi/Tesco

It's weirdly easier to find vegan ice cream than cake if that's any help, you'll definitely get that in Aldi/Tesco

Yeah, I'm going to pair it with some vegan Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie!
    Coolmore (I think) recently had two vegan cakes as part of their range, stocked in Dunnes, but whatever way they were packaging them, lots of people reported spots of mold on them, so I'm not sure if they're still being stocked. Other than that, I don't think you'll be able to find anything shop bought. Depending on where you're based, you might be able to pick up brownies etc in coffee shops, or order a vegan cake from a decent baker. If you're stuck, both Insomnia and Starbucks do a vegan slice/bake.

Thanks for that, I just found a Coolmore vanilla cake in Dunnes, but no other one. Perhaps if I try a larger Dunnes they might have a larger one! The vanilla one looks a little bit boring but I will go for it if I cannot find anything else - and thoroughly check for mold!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I just found a Coolmore vanilla cake in Dunnes, but no other one. Perhaps if I try a larger Dunnes they might have a larger one! The vanilla one looks a little bit boring but I will go for it if I cannot find anything else - and thoroughly check for mold!

There is a chocolate one that's really nice, if you can find it. I will admit to eating it despite the presence of mould. The vanilla one is supposed to be good as well though. And to be honest, most of us are delirious at the idea of being able to eat any cake, so I'm sure your friend will be delighted with whatever vegan thing you come up with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The big tesco's also have a "charred pineapple dream cake" which is lovely https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302236501
    Hard to find though, coolmore should be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Tesco are selling a vegan cake https://www.justlovefoodcompany.com/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

There is a chocolate one that's really nice, if you can find it. I will admit to eating it despite the presence of mould. The vanilla one is supposed to be good as well though. And to be honest, most of us are delirious at the idea of being able to eat any cake, so I'm sure your friend will be delighted with whatever vegan thing you come up with.

I've got the Vanilla and Chocolate ones a few times in my local supervalu. They are incredibly nice!!! I didn't see any mould anyway. Couldn't actually believe how nice they were. Hopefully they do a carrot cake version soon. I think they are 4 euro each so not too bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Have you tried the Tesco Wicked Kitchen Red Velvet Brownie. Some people love it (including me); others find it too sweet. Costs €5 for four large servings. You should find it in a chill cabinet beside Alpro products etc. Can be served hot or cold.
    https://jennysveganjourney.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/wicked-kitchen-1280x640.jpg?w=636

Thanks for that. Will check it out. I like the other wicked kitchen stuff!

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Tesco Wicked Kitchen Red Velvet Brownie. Some people love it (including me); others find it too sweet. Costs €5 for four large servings. You should find it in a chill cabinet beside Alpro products etc. Can be served hot or cold.
    https://jennysveganjourney.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/wicked-kitchen-1280x640.jpg?w=636

I haven't seen this in store in so long that I thought they discontinued it!

Any more cakes out there yet? The Coolmore ones have disappeared?

Any vegan apple tarts out there? Anyone know if those Apple Turnovers from Aldi are vegan?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes they were before, at least two years ago when i checked. Not sure if there was any changes since. Don't remember seeing any apple tarts.

• Advertisement

Any vegan apple tarts out there? Anyone know if those Apple Turnovers from Aldi are vegan?

Lidls own brand apple pies (6 in a box) are vegan

Advertisement