Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to register .ie domain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

I just re-registered a .ie after 1 year and didn't have to go through the forms again as it was registered to me already, handy.
    But if I'm registering a new .ie I usually fill in the form, send them an email copy of a letter stating what relationship my new .ie
    has to my other domain name, other domain is providing the hosting.. and sent them that number from your business name cert.
    Business name certificate cost 20 euro but that was a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CentimoSal

Never liked the IEDR redtape myself - there's something very Irish about those letters of deliberation they send back each time you apply.

I have good mind to infiltrate their little mafia and wave an ICANN membership in their face. It really shouldn't be that hard once you're somehow affiliated with Ireland. Simply being in Ireland should be grounds enough. I don't get why it's always so hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

I know what you mean, they're fairly strict, but if you're Irish it's not too difficult to get one.
    I guess it keeps outsiders from setting up .ie's and running god knows what kind of internet services.
    At least they can keep an eye on every Irish domain, unlike some other tld providers you don't even need to use your real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

CentimoSal wrote: »
    I have good mind to infiltrate their little mafia and wave an ICANN membership in their face.
    So where do you get an ICANN "membership"?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I have good mind to infiltrate their little mafia and wave an ICANN membership in their face.

And what exactly is "an ICANN membership" ?
    It really shouldn't be that hard once you're somehow affiliated with Ireland. Simply being in Ireland should be grounds enough. I don't get why it's always so hard...
    Hopefully the registration rules will be reformed over the next couple of years:
    http://www.internetnews.me/2014/10/15/4-registrars-elected-iedr-policy-board/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

Blacknight wrote: »
    Hopefully the registration rules will be reformed over the next couple of years:
    http://www.internetnews.me/2014/10/15/4-registrars-elected-iedr-policy-board/
    Yep.This should be a good thing as the market is changing rapidly (in the gTLDs) and .ie (along with the other TLDs) has to adapt.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I want to register a .ie domain name that's not my name. It will be a website that offers a free service in the software area that I want to do as a personal project and to build up my experience/CV. I don't particularly want to register a business name if I don't have to, so does anyone know would my .ie domain be accepted if I explained this in the application?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From the IEDR website:

I am interested in starting a business, but am not yet registered for trading purposes

If you intend to use the proposed domain name for trading purposes, but are not yet registered as a sole trader, we need the following documentation to proceed with registration:

(A) A copy of your ID, such as any one of the following:

Irish passport
    Irish driver’s licence
    Irish revenue document, Social welfare document/card showing PPS no
    Irish birth certificate
    Irish marriage certificate
    Irish utility bill (e.g. UPC/SKY/Electric Ireland/Airtricity /Bord Gais/Eircom etc.)
    A copy of an Irish bank statement for a personal account, with the financial details blanked out.
    (B) Your proof of Irish address. This will only be required if this is not provided with your ID, e.g. a recent utility bill.

(C) You will also be required to submit a letter outlining your claim on the proposed domain name, explaining what the domain name means and explaining why you wish to apply for it. If your claim references a third party you may be asked to provide further documentation from the third party. This documentation should confirm that you are authorised to get the domain name.

You need to include copies of your identification (Passport/Drivers Licence etc.) proof of address and a letter which outlines your claim to the domain name you want to register.

https://www.iedr.ie/register-a-domain/document-requirements/

If that doesn't apply to you, also check the 'other' category.

As a matter of interest, if I do register a business name, do I HAVE to register for Income Tax using a Form TR1? If I register a business name and do something such as a hobby, will there be any annoyances in terms of tax etc? Thanks!

Edit: I plan on asking people to donate if they like the service by giving a justgiving.com. I presume this would not be regarded as revenue as its external?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The easiest way to register a .ie domain is to register a company name on the CRO website - you can do it all, including payment, online for €20. Once you have that, IEDR will grant that name as your domain. It's easy and just works and is pretty much zero hassle.

The idea is that you register the business name here, and that's all it does. There is no limited company or sole trader or anything else, and it has nothing to do with VAT or income tax - it's just a name.

• Advertisement

bpmurray wrote: »
    The easiest way to register a .ie domain is to register a company name on the CRO website - you can do it all, including payment, online for €20. Once you have that, IEDR will grant that name as your domain. It's easy and just works and is pretty much zero hassle.

The idea is that you register the business name here, and that's all it does. There is no limited company or sole trader or anything else, and it has nothing to do with VAT or income tax - it's just a name.

Ok perfect thanks, that might be the best approach for me so!

bpmurray wrote: »

How is it easier to register a business name even when you have no intention of operating a business?

A couple of paragraphs explaining why you want a domain has always been enough to secure any .ie domain I've wanted to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ballyegan

I have a few questions about picking up dropped domains.

Is it the deleted domain list on Iedr.ie the list that is updated on Friday every two weeks? Is there anywhere else I can see .ie domains about to drop or that have dropped?

Are IEDR normally happy enough with a business name? Will they start to kick up a stink if I register a lot of domains?

Ballyegan wrote: »
    I have a few questions about picking up dropped domains.

Is it the deleted domain list on Iedr.ie the list that is updated on Friday every two weeks? Is there anywhere else I can see .ie domains about to drop or that have dropped?
    I'm not sure how often they update the list on their site, though I assume it's daily, as domains are deleted daily
    We publish a recently dropped list here: http://dropped.ie/recent

There's no simple way to see which domains are dropping in the future. You *could* check the whois status on a domain you were interested in to see if it gets marked as "NRP", but you won't be able to that "en masse"
    Are IEDR normally happy enough with a business name?
    Yes
    Will they start to kick up a stink if I register a lot of domains?

As long as you are able to meet the criteria you shouldn't have any issues

Are IEDR normally happy enough with a business name? Will they start to kick up a stink if I register a lot of domains?

Why would you want to register a lot of .ie domains given that reselling them isn't exactly an easy proposition?

Graham wrote: »
    Why would you want to register a lot of .ie domains given that reselling them isn't exactly an easy proposition?

There's more than one way to make money using domains :)

Blacknight wrote: »
    There's more than one way to make money using domains :)

Become a registrar :D

I won't disagree with you though, I've just never seen anyone that manage it with .ie domains.

Actually, I can think of one player involving hair extensions and a pile of other semi/un-related domains but I always suspected that was driven by blind optimism rather than actual revenue.

Are there many players in this space in the .ie market?

Become a registrar :D
    If only :)

Are there many players in this space in the .ie market?

There's a few people / companies that have quite large portfolios (by Irish standards)
    Some are building out content etc., and monetising via ads etc.,
    Others are making some money on parking

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JGHelp

Liveit wrote: »
    Hi,

So I am in the process of registering a .ie domain name.

I indicated that I would be opening an ecommerce store and I need the following documents:

RBN/CRO Number
    Registered VAT Number
    Signed document from either Bank Manager, Solicitor or Accountant confirming you are a Sole Trader along with a letter from yourself outlining your connection to the domain name (what it means, what it will be used for)

Problem is that I don't have any of these. I contacted revenue before and they said I dont need to register as a sole trader unless I went above 3,000 euro profit. So I didn't, and hence I have none of the above.

Would I be better off just telling them I want the domain for personal use or something and then just carry on as I was?

Hi. I was in the same position. I was opening a .ie and I told them I ws very early stages. They asked me for some type of proof I had a claim to the .ie.

So I put together a letter on 'Headed Paper' and sent it to them. Simply stated that I am in the preliminary stages of establishing the business and attached some form of correspondence to show that i genuinely was and then I signed off at the end as the Business Owner. Within a day or so I was set... hope this helps.

JGHelp wrote: »
    hope this helps.

It has become much easier to register a .ie domain in the 5 years since the opening post was made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

JGHelp wrote: »
    Hi. I was in the same position. I was opening a .ie and I told them I ws very early stages. They asked me for some type of proof I had a claim to the .ie.

So I put together a letter on 'Headed Paper' and sent it to them. Simply stated that I am in the preliminary stages of establishing the business and attached some form of correspondence to show that i genuinely was and then I signed off at the end as the Business Owner. Within a day or so I was set... hope this helps.

Old school... All you have to do is state your registered business name and number.

smash wrote: »
    Old school... All you have to do is state your registered business name and number.

No need to necessarily register a business name to acquire a .ie

It has become much easier to register a .ie domain in the 5 years since the opening post was made.

Definitely. As a registrar my main concern is that whatever rules / policies are being applied are applied consistently. Lack of consistency causes us a lot of customer service issues and headaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

No need to necessarily register a business name to acquire a .ie
    I know. But if you do have a business then stating your business name/number is easier than sending a letter on headed paper. Sure I've registered .ie domains in the past for hobby websites without any business name or headed paper etc. IEDR were happy to let me register the domains as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 woman.

Hi, I wonder if someone has any advice for me (Blacknight maybe?)

The domain name I want is available, however the business name I'd need to register that domain is already registered by someone else.
    Not sure if I can register the same business name as someone else (I googled the registered business name together with the registered address and it doesn't seem to be in operation so it's probably someone had an idea so registered the business name, but that's all).

The ideal solution for me would be to register the business name with the .ie suffix, however CRO states:
    The registration of business names ending in a domain name suffix such as ".ie", ".com", ".net" or prefix such as "www" is considered undesireable, for the purposes of section 14(1) of the Registration of Business Names Act 1963. Proof of domain name ownership is required to process these applications.

So it seems like a catch 22 - you need to own the .ie domain to be able to register the business name, but to get the domain you need to have the business name registered first.

I know there has to be a way around it because I did the CRO search and there ARE business names registered with the .ie suffix

Can anyone help? thanks

woman. wrote: »

The domain name I want is available, however the business name I'd need to register that domain is already registered by someone else.
    Not sure if I can register the same business name as someone else (I googled the registered business name together with the registered address and it doesn't seem to be in operation so it's probably someone had an idea so registered the business name, but that's all).

The ideal solution for me would be to register the business name with the .ie suffix, however CRO states:
    The registration of business names ending in a domain name suffix such as ".ie", ".com", ".net" or prefix such as "www" is considered undesireable, for the purposes of section 14(1) of the Registration of Business Names Act 1963. Proof of domain name ownership is required to process these applications.

So it seems like a catch 22 - you need to own the .ie domain to be able to register the business name, but to get the domain you need to have the business name registered first.

You do not need to have a registered business name that is an exact match of the domain name. You can register *any* business name and use it accompanied with a covering letter and it'll work fine.
    Others will point out that the requirement to use a registered business name isn't as strictly enforced these days as before and that you can get a domain as "discretionary" with the covering letter.

If in doubt contact your chosen registrar
    I know there has to be a way around it because I did the CRO search and there ARE business names registered with the .ie suffix

Most of them would pre-date the rule change blocking the inclusion of domain extensions in company and business names

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Can anyone help? thanks

I don't think business names are unique, so there's nothing stopping you registering the same name. It's probably better not to though, could lead to customer confusion or other issues down the line. From further down the same page on the CRO site:
    You should note that registration of a business name:

does not give protection against duplication of the name;
    does not imply that the name will necessarily prove acceptable subsequently as a company name;
    does not authorise the use of the name if its use could be prohibited for other reasons. It should not for instance be taken as an indication that no rights (e.g. trade marks rights) exist in the name.

Instead of including the full domain name in the business name (e.g bluewidgets.ie), just register the business as e.g. Blue Widgets Ireland or even just Blue Widgets. Then use that to register the domain.
    Or if you really want to, do that first to get the domain name, then use the domain to register a new business name bluewidgets.ie with the CRO. But there's no real need for that.

I think when I was doing it I just sent the IEDR a copy of the CRO application confirmation email as my supporting documentation for the domain name registry.

MOH wrote: »
    Instead of including the full domain name in the business name (e.g bluewidgets.ie), just register the business as e.g. Blue Widgets Ireland or even just Blue Widgets. Then use that to register the domain.

I don't think the CRO will let you register a name that's already registered.

That shouldn't be an issue though as BK explained. Your business could be Pink Fluff and you could still register the domain BlueWidgets.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9 woman.

Thanks guys, I did a few searches on the CRO website and it seems lot of people register the same business name, so I went ahead and registered mine in the same name as the one that's already there, just for the sake of getting the domain quicker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I don't think the CRO will let you register a name that's already registered.

That shouldn't be an issue though as BK explained. Your business could be Pink Fluff and you could still register the domain BlueWidgets.ie

There's no name protection on business names, only company names.

The only problem with having a business name of Pink Fluff and a domain of bluewidgets.ie is some customers will wonder why card statements/invoices etc have a different name

Advertisement