Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PDC World Darts Championship 2019/20

Options
1787980818284»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I listen fairly regularly and this is the first time I've heard them do live darts

Okay well they should do more as I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Delighted for Peter Wright finally getting to the holy grail

A sign of things to come in the sporting world ?? Liverpool Premier League title winners (well not yet but very very likely) and Peter Wright finally world champ. Year of the underdog ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

munster87 wrote: »
    Don’t forget his biggest challenge, Noel Malicdem!

He was far from convincing against Asada also. Had Asada shown a bit more composure Wright could have been sent packing. Didn't believe he would finally have his day last Monday week.

He was outstanding after Xmas though. I didn't want to jinx him (or make myself look bad!!) but his semi final beared a massive resemblance to that of Andy Fordham beating Van Barneveld in Lakeside 2004 on his way to winning it out.The psychological boost was huge. A nearly man bordering on the latter stages for a decade finally having his moment. Anderson's run in 2015 springs to mind too.

You'd forget all too easily that he performed well in the 2014 final.

MVG looked a bit unsettled right throughout the tournament. Looks like he has slowed down a bit from his glory years. Will still be a contender but we might have just witnessed the best years of his career.

Probably the best story Darts could have hoped for from the worlds too. Another MVG easy win would have done little for the game.

Very enoyable final. The best once since 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

I listen fairly regularly and this is the first time I've heard them do live darts

They done last years worlds also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Brilliant game tonight, would be the first man to knock Snakey but he's been brilliant with the last few months and has peaked at the right time. Deserving champion and would have been the player of the tournament regardless of tonight's result.

Most sets were really close, it didn't feel like a 7-3. Any bad visit by a player pretty much lost them the leg, such was the standard - would love to see the breakdown of how many darts thrown to win each leg, so many 10-13 darters.

Doubling was probably the real difference maker in the whole game. MvG missing 10 darts at a double before his next successful checkout shows the difference between the two players on the night. While the scoring was gairly level, Wright's finishing was outstanding and his ability to do the right things at the right moments ;) won him the game.

Hopefully Wright can kick on from this and have a good Premier League after how disappointing he was last year, maybe another major too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Doubling was probably the real difference maker in the whole game. MvG missing 10 darts at a double before his next successful checkout shows the difference between the two players on the night. While the scoring was gairly level, Wright's finishing was outstanding and his ability to do the right things at the right moments ;) won him the gameo

That's it
    Basically Wright did to MvG what MvG usually does to everyone else
    Delighted for Wright - a player largely seen as a 'choker' , to think that now he has a world championship won playing fantastic with that sort of average and checkout stats, he can largely put that to bed

One of the Comms made a good point that most of those defeats to MvG were over short format first to 7 or 8 legs or if longer still over say best of 35 max where even when leading MvG was always just a few legs behind and breathing down his neck
    The set play tonight where he was mostly in front maybe made it easier to push on and get across the line as he had a bit more breathing space compared to those previous games

And as a previous poster said, he played well in the 2014 final, think it was 4-4 before MvG pushed on

Can't stand the clown outfits, but he seems like a very decent sort and obviously puts in the graft and has been around playing a high level for a long time so thoroughly deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

uncle barry spouting utter nonsense about Durrant, saying he had a successful year,

durrant won 2 players champs...thats it.
    Wade won 5, and won more money in 2019 than durrant
    chizzy won more and earned more in 2019 than durrant.

i am not saying wade and chizzy should be in, but neither should durrant.
    The reason given is not true by barry hearn.

i think he will struggle in the PL like Bunting did, and even though Durrant is a nice guy, he is boring and slow to watch

Durrant should definitely be in.
    Up to world number 22 with only one years money compared to everyone else’s two.

Grand Slam semi
    Grand Prix semi
    Matchplay semi
    World quarter

That’s an excellent debut year.
    Wade and Chisnall have been in it plenty of times. It’s stale enough as it is. New faces help make it a bit less boring.

Whether the quick fire short format will suit him is questionable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

mdwexford wrote: »
    Durrant should definitely be in.
    Up to world number 22 with only one years money compared to everyone else’s two.

Except Barry Hearn said he was in for what he did in 2019.

In 2019 he was only 10th on the money earned list.
    Chizzy and wade were above him

Durrant won 2 floor comps....wade won 5, chizzy won 3.

So using the excuse hearn used then wade and chizzy should have qualified.
    I rather none of the 3 were in.

Then there is ando, what did he do to warrant a spot ?

He was nowhere near the top 16 earners, and only a shared world cup win.
    The PL has always been about favoritism, hence why barney got an undeserved spot year after year, while better more consistent players and winners...something barney could not do..ie Win, were left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

delighte wade was left out as hes a pure knobend and has gotten plenty of premier lge years and you as for chizzy im not to bothered.nice to see a change and not the same faces for years in the premier lge.would,nt have minded gurney being left out also.

bassy wrote: »
    delighte wade was left out as hes a pure knobend and has gotten plenty of premier lge years and you as for chizzy im not to bothered.nice to see a change and not the same faces for years in the premier lge.would,nt have minded gurney being left out also.

I said I did not wade in nor chizzy, but durrant should not be in either.

As for gurney, he is another boring player with his constantly sour puss no interest in watching him either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

I said I did not wade in nor chizzy, but durrant should not be in either.

As for gurney, he is another boring player with his constantly sour puss no interest in watching him either

prefer to have durrant in rather than wade or gurney.i know durrant is at most a 95 average but still prefer him to the 2 ive mentioned.

wade mensur and a few others are on the slippery slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Well done snakebite,and a gracious looser in mvg,maybe the kick up the hole he needs .. hopefully Peter gets a few more big titles now,id say gerwan is fuming lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Except Barry Hearn said he was in for what he did in 2019.

In 2019 he was only 10th on the money earned list.
    Chizzy and wade were above him

Durrant won 2 floor comps....wade won 5, chizzy won 3.

So using the excuse hearn used then wade and chizzy should have qualified.
    I rather none of the 3 were in.

Then there is ando, what did he do to warrant a spot ?

He was nowhere near the top 16 earners, and only a shared world cup win.
    The PL has always been about favoritism, hence why barney got an undeserved spot year after year, while better more consistent players and winners...something barney could not do..ie Win, were left out.

The PL is a money-making venture. I’ll never understand how people get wound up every year about this and don’t get it. They‘ve got to give the illusion of it being on competitive merit, or else people won’t buy in and put money down (hence Fallon not being in it), but it’s basically the equivalent of the X Factor going on tour after the series. They’ll always pick lads who do well at the Worlds because so many more people watch the Worlds than the average TV tournament. If high profile players do badly at the Worlds (like Wade), they’ll look bad including them and it keeps each year fresh, while allowing fans to get invested in new players and building up their knowledge of darts so they then start following TV tournaments. It’s always going to be this way because this way makes the most sense. The average darts punter doesn’t care about Order of Merit or players championships. How they go from being someone who dresses up and boos players at they aim at doubles to someone who moans about people who do that is through stuff like the PL being marketed this way towards them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Well done to Peter Wright, he was the better player last night and his finishing in particular was excellent.

While I thought MVG deserved to be favourite, I thought the odds of 1/3 v 9/4 were far too generous to MVG. Given the form during the tournament it was always going to be closer than that.

I like MVG but he has to stop saying thing like 'he (Wright) won't beat me this week', he done the same before playing Price in the Grandslam this year and lost as well.

It's gonna turn into a bit of a running joke if he keeps saying these things then losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Absolutely delighted for Snakebite, seems like such a nice genuine person and he fully deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Well.I Didn’t see that coming TBH.
    Wright continually improved and reached his peak at exactly the right moment.
    Perfect rationing of energy. Snakebite’s face betrayed no emotion during the entire match but you could almost feel the tension rush out of him when he landed that double 10. Despite him having to take a step as his markers blocked him off a clear sight.
    I suppose it was sporting karma as well. So many runner up finishes. Only fair that he lands the big one to compensate.
    Well done that man!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Delighted for wright.
    Met him in the spencer hotel after the darts in 3 arena. Very nice chatty bloke.
    Didn’t see this final but wasn’t expecting that result. Fair play to him.

I think the result is good for darts as a whole.
    one player dominating like Taylor did is great, but becomes repetitive and the game needs a top player, but needs to have serious challengers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yeah thrilled for Wright he outplayed MVG from start to finish and it was great to see how much it meant to him at the end as well.

Advertisement