Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Penney's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Young ones going around telling everyone to save the buckin planet then go into penny’s and buy 20 pairs of buckin pajamas and fook them away next week and repeat, bunch of twits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Hopefully the poor children in Bangladesh that make pennys cloths have a nice christmas.

They claim to employ no children and pay a decent wage for the country. Keep in mind on the same country people risk their lives dismantling ships for €2 per day. Working making clothes is a sought after job.

GarIT wrote: »
    They claim to employ no children and pay a decent wage for the country. Keep in mind on the same country people risk their lives dismantling ships for €2 per day. Working making clothes is a sought after job.

As bad as it is it’s better than no work for them poor people, no pup or rent allowance over there, penny’s literally save them from starvation, it’s terrible but the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Hopefully the poor children in Bangladesh that make pennys cloths have a nice christmas.

Where do you buy your own clothes just out of interest?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Not for me but each to their own.

Personally I absolutely detest shopping either online or in real life. Went into Arnotts with a good budget a few months back to spend on nice gear and within 5 minutes 3 seperate assistants had come up to me and asked if I needed help.

I hate the feeling of being watched as I browse about so at that point I left the place and headed for Penneys where assistants leave you in peace.

Yea cause they couldn’t be arsed, too busy congregating around a display talking about who got up on Sharon last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Got a whole lot of things for Christmas

branie2 wrote: »

You can’t even get a decent pair of jeans in there all auld elastic yokes

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Shouldn't "Pennys" be called "Cents"?

No, as it's spelled Penneys.

Lemsiper wrote: »
    No, as it's spelled Penneys.

In America there’s a chain of stores called JC penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Neyite wrote: »
    I much prefer good old fashioned Irish disdain from shop assistants myself.

For me that is preferable to 3 shop assistants who are fishing for commission all within sight of each other .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Finding friends is difficult. Putting up with it or just not wearing Penneys clothes is better than being alone.

If your mates are judging you because of the clothes you wear it's time to drop them like a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tig98 wrote: »
    Some people getting way too excited about clothes, seen a good few Snapchat and Instagram stories today of people in there mooching around

Like, have ye anything to be doing? Don't see the appeal in shopping for the sake of it

People who count "shopping" as a pastime. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The range is very limited if you are over 6 ft, I could not
    find any xxl jackets or coats there
    I do.nt think they are any worse than any other high St
    retailer

If your mates are judging you because of the clothes you wear it's time to drop them like a stone.

And do what instead? Sit in on my own? Avoid the local?

Get yourself a bird and tell them so called mates to go fook themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Get new mates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I find the outrage about this so funny. There is such a hatred for fast fashion bubbling at the moment. FF is a major culprit of emissions but where do we draw the line? How much emissions are too much? How much resource extraction is permissable before an industry comes under the ire of outrage? You don't get to criticise capitalism from an iphone (I know it's not that simple)

Also something I notice is that we seem very remiss as a society to tell people what they should value. You see this among these social media guys, they made millions off it and now are pushing back in a quest to give meaning to their lives. Maybe people are happy to just scroll Facebook and buy clothes online. If the AI knows them better than themselves, what's the problem? People like stuff and that's not some peversion.

I find the outrage about this so funny. There is such a hatred for fast fashion bubbling at the moment. FF is a major culprit of emissions but where do we draw the line? How much emissions are too much? How much resource extraction is permissable before an industry comes under the ire of outrage? You don't get to criticise capitalism from an iphone (I know it's not that simple)

Also something I notice is that we seem very remiss as a society to tell people what they should value. You see this among these social media guys, they made millions off it and now are pushing back in a quest to give meaning to their lives. Maybe people are happy to just scroll Facebook and buy clothes online. If the AI knows them better than themselves, what's the problem? People like stuff and that's not some peversion.

You’re going down a slippery path there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Went to the one in Blanch earlier, toss up between there and Dundrum. What a fúckin circus, massive queue out the door and around the building. Nobody keeping social distance. Half the people queuing had no mask or had their mask around their neck or mouth with their big honkers sticking out. Little jumped up security guard too busy hitting on the girls to bother anyone about queue skipping, masks etc.

Came out with my skin crawling.

Oh well, got new fluffy socks and pyjamas I can wear while I recover from covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If your friends are making fun of your clothes and you get served in the local, I can only assume you are 16-18, give it a year, no one cares in college

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If your friends are making fun of your clothes and you get served in the local, I can only assume you are 16-18, give it a year, no one cares in college

About 10 years older than that actually. I guess it's just something to talk about. Same as lads getting slagged for wearing pink, showing their ankles as another poster said, balding, or when an overweight ex or one night stand is mentioned.

TL;DR: I would never wear cedarwood state boxers or other things obviously from Penneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

About 10 years older than that actually. I guess it's just something to talk about. Same as lads getting slagged for wearing pink, showing their ankles as another poster said, balding, or when an overweight ex or one night stand is mentioned.

TL;DR: I would never wear cedarwood state boxers or other things obviously from Penneys.

So now you are all insulting women over their body shapes as well. That's lovely isn't it?

So now you are all insulting women over their body shapes as well. That's lovely isn't it?

I never said it's a good thing, just easier to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Antares35 wrote: »
    What a fúckin circus, massive queue out the door and around the building.

I really don't understand it - queueing for Pennys! If I was down to rags I'd keep wearing the rags rather than queue to go clothes shopping. The news was saying people were queueing from half six. Half six! For what? They should be greeted at the top of the queue with a straight jacket.

gourcuff wrote: »
    you can slag irish men about their clothes without being classist apparently....but not women..

You have to be careful about that too. One time we slagged the enormous weird coat one of the lads was wearing and it turned out his other half had bought it for him. She's hated us ever since. We never saw that coat again either....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I really don't understand it - queueing for Pennys! If I was down to rags I'd keep wearing the rags rather than queue to go clothes shopping. The news was saying people were queueing from half six. Half six! For what? They should be greeted at the top of the queue with a straight jacket.

You have to be careful about that too. One time we slagged the enormous weird coat one of the lads was wearing and it turned out his other half had bought it for him. She's hated us ever since. We never saw that coat again either....

:D apparently some people were queuing from 4am!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This could be controversial - but a couple of things I often consider with Penney's.

If the modern world is about equality - how come there is no serious ethical issue with buying cheap clothes , with staff and manufactures working at seriously reduced terms and conditions.

Why do women support going out and buying disposable fashion - is this not damaging to the empowerments of women.

And are we not all supposed to be buying less from an environmental perspective.

I could be wrong and - the customers are 50/50 male female ? , but most of above still applies to anyone in there.

But you'd seriously worry about humanity if they need to open Penneys

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do male actually shop at penny's?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Do male actually shop at penny's?

I don't think they can ask anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't think they can ask anymore.

Who can't ask.... You either have a Weiner or you don't....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

branie2 wrote: »

And a lot for the family

Is it just me or has the quality of Penneys clothes gone down in recent years? I went in to buy a blouse and the material on them were very flimsy. I also found the leggings pretty thin.

Advertisement