Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New stove causing sore throats ?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Anyone have experience of this ? New 8kw inset stove, just burning timber. 2 wall vents in the space as it's a kitchen dining. Is the new heat drying out the air and possibly causing some of us throat issues ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Get a wet and dry thermometer (or more advanced technology), and learn how to measure humidity.
    Put a shallow flat dish with water somewhere discrete (under couch, book shelf) and see if that addresses the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

DIY KING wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of this ? New 8kw inset stove, just burning timber. 2 wall vents in the space as it's a kitchen dining. Is the new heat drying out the air and possibly causing some of us throat issues ??

Any noticeable odors? Is there a paint/chemical smell?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Never heard of people having this issue myself without other obvious reasons.

Is the vent in the same room fully open (shouldn't be able to close anyway) unblocked and of the correct bore?
    What type of wood are you using? Is it properly dried?
    Are the sore throats more scrathcy as if from being aggravated rather than an actual sore-throat that usually comes with other symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

How long how this been going on? Just flagging in case it's very recent...Covid19 symptoms can start with sore throats.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Have you an in-date carbon monoxide alarm in that area?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

2 wall vents in good shape.
    No smells.
    Kindling might be an issue, basically our old shed chopped up. Not bone dry and some would have fencelife.
    Also, timber logs are the ordinary soft wood.
    Have the bowl of water in place now. Google showing up similar occurrences so it's not a new phenomenon seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

co wont cause smell

do you have the alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

2 wall vents in good shape.
    Kindling might be an issue, basically our old shed chopped up. Not bone dry and some would have fencelife.

Whether or not it's the cause, do away with burning any treated or painted wood. Kindling is not expensive and not worth the risk of potentially breathing in whatever crap is in those chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Sorry, yes brand new co sensor put in place when stove fitted.
    Point taken re kindling and I did think the same myself but I guess I was trying to recycle as such.
    Maybe just keep it for the chiminea.
    Haven't used the stove for a few days as painting the room but I will look at getting a gadget to measure humidity.
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I would avoid burning any treated woods. Paints, Varnish, Fencelife etc when you burn them there is a good chance you will breath in all sorts of chemicals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

New stoves give off a bad odour when first lit, and for the next few times they are in use as the paint on the stove cures and dries. Even if this smell has dissipated, the stove might still be giving off low level fumes until the paint is fully cured. Try leaving a window open when its lit (I know that goes against common sense) so any odours can escape outside.

And as others had said, don't burn treated wood like your old shed as this is giving off toxic fumes from the chemicals soaked into the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Modern stoves are really fantastic but one draw back is dust particles. I use well dried turf and hard wood combination and despite best effort, fine dust particles is an issue and perhaps this might be the cause. As an aside and obviously not for insert stoves, I got one of those eco fans that sits on stove to circulate heat. Magical device but unfortunately, spreads fine dust particles even more.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Modern stoves are really fantastic but one draw back is dust particles. I use well dried turf and hard wood combination and despite best effort, fine dust particles is an issue and perhaps this might be the cause. As an aside and obviously not for insert stoves, I got one of those eco fans that sits on stove to circulate heat. Magical device but unfortunately, spreads fine dust particles even more.

How is dust getting out ? shouldnt it be a sealed unit

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

listermint wrote: »
    How is dust getting out ? shouldnt it be a sealed unit

Mine is a stand alone, it's sealed to the extent a stove can be but with door opening for topping up, cleaning etc, there's always going to be some amount of Dust. Turf also tends to be quite dusty as a fuel but it's by far the cheapest and to a certain extent most efficient. I'm not suggesting massive amount of Dust but certainly enough to suggest it might be a cause of the issue OP having, particularly if someone has dust allergy etc

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement