Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Labour want to bring back auto-birthright citizenship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If my mam gives birth to me while they're on holidays in china , does that make me chinese ?

Aodhan O'Riordan would probably try to tell you yes with a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

In the USA the birthright of a child gives no additional rights to the parents.

In Ireland, when we had the birthright law, parents and guardians were also granted residency rights as the courts deemed that the child had a right to have them here. This did not revert when the child reached adulthood.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yurt! wrote: »
    Aodhan O'Riordan would probably try to tell you yes with a straight face.
    If the poster is pale of face I seriously doubt it. This "diversity" is remarkably colour specific and it's only ever in one direction. None of the diversity pundits would suggest that what a majority African or Asian culture really needs to be progressive is more White migrants. More locally consider the well over one hundred thousand White non native Irish living in Ireland that almost never get any sort of mention. They're practically invisible.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

blackbox wrote: »
    In the USA the birthright of a child gives no additional rights to the parents.

In Ireland, when we had the birthright law, parents and guardians were also granted residency rights as the courts deemed that the child had a right to have them here. This did not revert when the child reached adulthood.

Even if it had "reverted" it would have made little difference. The parents would have be naturalised by then. The only thing that they could have done was to give a special visa to the parents which explicitly legally stopped the clock as regards duration of stay.

However when the children reached 18, they would still be able to petition to get status for their parents anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

Another example of why Ireland needs a right leaning political party. The pendulum is swinging too far to the left and must be addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

lemonTrees wrote: »
    Another example of why Ireland needs a right leaning political party. The pendulum is swinging too far to the left and must be addressed.

You can be sure that privately, there will be a large cross sections in every political party that would have huge reservations or be outright opposed to this (even in the Labour party). It is however extremely difficult to come out and say it as they would be hammered by a noisy minority in the press and social media.

This would be an absolute red line issue on the doorstep for me during an election and anyone who feels similar should not be shy about expressing that viewpoint to candidates looking for a vote.

FYI: I'm not even on the right of the political spectrum. I just think (know actually) that Ireland reverting to jus soli would end in absolute disaster for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Do we need a right leaning party? Just because a person supports controlled immigration doesn’t mean they are right wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats what their priority is? Jaysis, read the room lads.

Apart from the 80% majority at the time, floating it for reconsideration ahead of the mammoth task of refloating the economy, wherein immigration is an issue at the best of times, is simply naive and tone deaf.

You seem to misunderstand. Labour don’t want to put it to the people. They want to usurp the will of the people by just changing it without a vote by the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Assuming that half of these 'birthright citizens' are boys they could be a full division that we may well need in the near future when we again wage war against our eternal enemy.

Why are people who claim to be on the right seeking to weaken Ireland's warfighting ability??

Are they actually ENGLAND'S HIRELINGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Labour still exist??

They are right though, what this country needs is 1000's of underqualified people from incompatible cultures (Anti-woman and liberal values) who may not be able to speak the language competing with our already stretched working class in a job market which will be made even smaller by automation in the coming years.

Geniuses!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Wibbs wrote: »
    If the poster is pale of face I seriously doubt it. This "diversity" is remarkably colour specific and it's only ever in one direction. None of the diversity pundits would suggest that what a majority African or Asian culture really needs to be progressive is more White migrants. More locally consider the well over one hundred thousand White non native Irish living in Ireland that almost never get any sort of mention. They're practically invisible.

That is an excellent point Wibbs - white people going to a black county - evil nasty colonialism whilst black people coming into a white country - yay for diversity!!!

There used to be a word when I was a wee one for treating people differently due to their colour....

Assuming that half of these 'birthright citizens' are boys they could be a full division that we may well need in the near future when we again wage war against our eternal enemy.

Why are people who claim to be on the right seeking to weaken Ireland's warfighting ability??

Are they actually ENGLAND'S HIRELINGS?

Put the top back on the marker after you’ve used it dude k???

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I would be strongly against voting for birthright citizenship due to current economy and jobs market, not to mention the country being abused for social welfare payments amongst other things. Also when you consider how bad the housing situation and homelessness rates are on top of direct provision refugees, it does not make any sense for such a law to be passed.

Right now in terms of direct provision I am not aware of the numbers of births in this situation, however with how the applications are managed and length of time it takes to process, it would give applicants ample opportunity to exploit such a law to have children while waiting for application to be processed only for them to receive automatic clearance once a child is born.

We have enough issues that are not being dealt with that we can't afford to open the country up to free citizenship, we will go bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was well known at the time. Hospitals were being put under severe pressure. If you know anyone who had a kid in a public hospital around that time, they would tell you about being surrounded by beds of foreign women.

It is also in the Department of Justice document someone posted earlier http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/information%20note.pdf/Files/information%20note.pdf . Paragraph 12

I was too young to know much about it at the time I was just shocked by the 25% figure. Ide believe it in Dublin alright but surprised it says the national figure is similar which is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You've politicians and the always fun Immigrant Council of Ireland proposing punishments and party's restricting any member that brought up anything remotely anti immigration, it's not a topic they think should be allowed to be brought up. They don't even hide the fact that they think it'd win some votes and have support, they just don't want it allowed. The wrong kind of democracy.

Labour or any others push this then it's not fringe anymore it's front and centre.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    That is an excellent point Wibbs - white people going to a black county - evil nasty colonialism whilst black people coming into a white country - yay for diversity!!!

There used to be a word when I was a wee one for treating people differently due to their colour....

White people going to white countries can be colonialism to as us Irish should well know

Jeysus lad don't worry I'm left and I can tell you there is nothing left wing about this country and won't be in my lifetime

breezy1985 wrote: »
    White people going to white countries can be colonialism to as us Irish should well know

Dear God do we ever!!

But the point still stands - the cognitive dissonance is strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jeysus lad don't worry I'm left and I can tell you there is nothing left wing about this country and won't be in my lifetime
    There are plenty of left wing parties and even some extreme left parties.
    That said there are right wing and extreme right parties but they aren't in power.

biko wrote: »
    There are plenty of left wing parties and even some extreme left parties.
    That said there are right wing and extreme right parties but they aren't in power.

Who are the left and extreme left in your view?

• Advertisement

Moderate left parties in power
    Sinn Fein
    Labour
    Social Democrats

More extreme left, still in power
    Green Party
    PBP

Are these not left in your opinion breezy1985? If not, where are they on the political compass in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If my mam gives birth to me while they're on holidays in china , does that make me chinese ?

If you're looking for the aul benefits ye wouldn't be going to China tbh

They take a dim view of that sorta thing.

Sinn Fein
    Labour
    Social Democrats

Green Party
    PBP

Are these not left in your opinion breezy1985? If not, where are they on the political compass in your opinion?

I agree they are all left with the exception of the Greens who are socially liberal but I wouldn't say the are left wing which is more an economic policy and I would not trust the greens to give one s*** about the working class

But I don't think you have a clue what the term in power means. Do you mean they have a TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ireland has moved left, politically.

https://muellerstefan.net/papers/mueller_regan_irelandleftright.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sinn Fein
    Labour
    Social Democrats

Green Party
    PBP

I would have put the GP in with SF / Lab / SocDems?

Why call them extreme left?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Labour still exist??

They are right though, what this country needs is 1000's of underqualified people from incompatible cultures (Anti-woman and liberal values) who may not be able to speak the language competing with our already stretched working class in a job market which will be made even smaller by automation in the coming years.

Geniuses!

Yes, but Labour need voters!

Like the Democrats in the States and Labour in the UK, if you can't get the natives to vote for you then you might was well import voters that will!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I was too young to know much about it at the time I was just shocked by the 25% figure. Ide believe it in Dublin alright but surprised it says the national figure is similar which is interesting.

If you read that paragraph it goes on to explain that two-thirds of that figure were not then-current asylum seekers and many of those followed the pattern of arrival into the country just before birth.

But even if you think about it for a minute: one-third of that 25% were from asylum seekers. So you are still talking about around 8% of all births at that time being to mothers who had entered the system to claim asylum status.

In other words, 1-in-12 babies were being born to asylum seeking mothers. Another 2-in-12 were being born to non-nationals - many of whom were arriving in late pregnancy.

That was why the change had to be made. It was an open door and easily open to abuse and word was spreading.

Geuze wrote: »
    I would have put the GP in with SF / Lab / SocDems?

Why call them extreme left?
    Perhaps we can have a separate thread on that as it's offtopic for this one?

Geuze wrote: »

Who is Stefan Muller ?

• Advertisement

But I don't think you have a clue what the term in power means. Do you mean they have a TD?
    Yes, a TD means influence. Influence means power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement