Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xmas veggie turkey or roast suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 august2016

Last year for the first time I got the Quorn Roast and am 100% having it again this year.

So nice and I love that it also gives the option to use for sandwiches Christmas night with some stuffing and brown sauce, something I've missed out on since I gave up meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Tried the Aldi root vegetable vegan nut roast with pistachio and cranberry sauce today. I thought it was very, very bland, but my young lad loved it. He thinks he might have that Christmas Day, I'm hoping to find something much nicer!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

august2016 wrote: »
    Last year for the first time I got the Quorn Roast and am 100% having it again this year.

So nice and I love that it also gives the option to use for sandwiches Christmas night with some stuffing and brown sauce, something I've missed out on since I gave up meat.

What is brown sauce?

Vegan Sandwich Co taking orders now for Christmas dinner;

https://vegansandwich.co/xmas/

We've got the dinner for three ordered (for two of us) and an extra turkey for sandwiches over the Christmas days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Might try that one myself, I live right beside it and their new shop is great.
    What is brown sauce?
    Brown sauce is a condiment served with food in the United Kingdom and Ireland, normally dark brown in colour. The ingredients include a varying combination of tomatoes, molasses, dates, apples, tamarind, spices, vinegar, and sometimes raisins. The taste is either tart or sweet with a peppery taste similar to that of Worcestershire sauce.

Whoever runs chef brown sauce, I put their kids through college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

And the reason for calling it 'Brown Sauce' is of course the presence of 'Red Sauce'
    (Otherwise known as Tomato Ketchup)

https://www.jasonogorman.ie/prints/redsauce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We had that aldi roast tonight, I really wasn't a fan. I thought it tasted exactly like the 'meaty' part of the southern fried burgers that were in aldi a while back.

It's great to see other brands branching out into more things than just standard burgers though, there's so many more options now than when I stopped eating meat a few years back which is only a good thing!

I was looking for the plant burgers in Aldi last night, again, to no avail. I think they must be not doing them any more. Anyway yes I saw the turkey roast thingy, must give it a go, it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I was looking for the plant burgers in Aldi last night, again, to no avail. I think they must be not doing them any more. Anyway yes I saw the turkey roast thingy, must give it a go, it looks good.

Same....I haven't been able to get the no beef or no chicken burgers in ages....they have these vegetable burgers and pies in stock in my local store now instead....it's very annoying that they keep changing their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Same....I haven't been able to get the no beef or no chicken burgers in ages....they have these vegetable burgers and pies in stock in my local store now instead....it's very annoying that they keep changing their products.

While the veg burgers are nice they only have afaik 5g protein per 100g. If I'm indulging I'll in such I'll always go for 14g+ protein products. Or else a tin of beans, yum :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

takeaveg roast looks epic to me

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH_OGE4HxSH/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Vegan Sandwich Co taking orders now for Christmas dinner;

https://vegansandwich.co/xmas/

We've got the dinner for three ordered (for two of us) and an extra turkey for sandwiches over the Christmas days.

Have you or anyone else tried these before? Im having a search on what to get but still so undecided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just to note that Tesco are launching a Christmas vegan range in the next week. I have only seen a part of the catalogue so cannot comment on what they will offer but one picture I saw looked like a fake beef wellington. Keep an eye out for it being released.

Has anyone seen this yet? Or any info on it?

Have you or anyone else tried these before? Im having a search on what to get but still so undecided

My friend had it before and said it was great, they've sold out of fresh ones for 23rd/24th and only are selling frozen ones now I think. Tbh I expect the best one to be takeaveg.

Has anyone seen this yet? Or any info on it?

I got the steak with garlic butter today as well as the jalapeño burgers. Had the steak for lunch but to be honest it wasn't great. The issue for me was it was a bit mushy and not very meaty. Haven't tried the jalapeño burgers yet.

They also had koftkas, little fat sausages, chicken nuggets, breaded chicken and fish fillets, loaded nachos, wild garlic and spinach ravioli.

I'm not sure it was the full range as I thought they were due to have more party food like pigs in blanket or mozzarella sticks!

Mileage will vary, I had the steak and thought it tasted amazing. Cooked it in an airfryer! Looking forward to trying some of the newer things. Nobody beats m&S vegan options though. While they are more expensive they are also much better, particularly, the lasagne and kievs.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

My friend had it before and said it was great, they've sold out of fresh ones for 23rd/24th and only are selling frozen ones now I think. Tbh I expect the best one to be takeaveg.

Thanks, I went on earlier to order the full meal option and it was gone, not sure what to get now, I see Tesco have some good options coming in, I think around the 7th, so might look at them. I never heard of takeaveg. I had a quick look at their website, they don’t do any similar Xmas meals though, right?

Thanks, I went on earlier to order the full meal option and it was gone, not sure what to get now, I see Tesco have some good options coming in, I think around the 7th, so might look at them. I never heard of takeaveg. I had a quick look at their website, they don’t do any similar Xmas meals though, right?

Yeah no meals, just the roast with red wine & mushroom gravy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

I ordered the take a veg one..it looks soo good. Can't wait to annihilate it on Christmas day. Their setian burgers are God tier as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

Found there is a roast for €3.49 in aldi to try now!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHdRjNSH__K/

I managed to pick two of these up today and hopefully I will give them a try tomorrow. They hadn't got them in my local Aldi for some reason but I managed to get them in my mothers local Aldi.

They look quite small but if they taste nice I wont mind just buying a couple of them when I need them. At that price you can't really go wrong.

august2016 wrote: »

Have you managed to find the Quorn roast anywhere? I still haven't seen any in Tesco or Dunnes.

• Advertisement

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    Have you managed to find the Quorn roast anywhere? I still haven't seen any in Tesco or Dunnes.

It is in Carlow Tesco, got one yesterday. It's down to this or the Aldi Roast thing for Christmas for me, which I'm trying tonight.

Quorn roast slices quite well with a mandoline type deelie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Look, not wishing to diss anyone, but the desire for meat looking meals gets me from vegans and veggies. Why?

Please explain. And I know it's because you don't want animals killed for your dinner. But still. Probably an old argument sorry, don't mean to offend anyone. Am very low meat eater myself. But won't substitute.

It is in Carlow Tesco, got one yesterday. It's down to this or the Aldi Roast thing for Christmas for me, which I'm trying tonight.

Quorn roast slices quite well with a mandoline type deelie.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am in Dublin.

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am in Dublin.

Ah, yeah sorry think that's a decent spin for a Quorn Roast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Look, not wishing to diss anyone, but the desire for meat looking meals gets me from vegans and veggies. Why?

Variety I'd imagine. Also, I'd say that most vegans and veggies were meat eaters once upon a time so we have favourite meals that we like to recreate with veggie options. Two of my ultimate favourite meals when I was a meat eater were superquinn bangers and mash and meatballs and spaghetti, so I try to recreate them with veggie options when I can.

Had the Aldi Roast yesterday, I over cooked it a bit but it wasn't too bad, outer shell/skin was very tough though (probably due to the overcooking).

Had the Aldi Roast yesterday, I over cooked it a bit but it wasn't too bad, outer shell/skin was very tough though (probably due to the overcooking).

I recommend wrapping them in tinfoil with some water while cooking. Will keep it softer. Thought it tasted better when it cooled a bit too.

I recommend wrapping them in tinfoil with some water while cooking. Will keep it softer. Thought it tasted better when it cooled a bit too.

Cooking it tonight so thank you for the tip

Butter or some glaze would work well and be tasty too!

• Advertisement

The Aldi 'no Turkey' roast was perfect! So yummy! I would definitely get it again. Had it with lots of gravy and cranberry sauce. Amazing value, going to grab a couple for the freezer.

Advertisement