Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recording guitar to laptop

• 31-10-2020 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Spent an awful lot of time over last 8 months playing guitar. Would like to start messing about with some recording, layering guitar etc. Problem is I haven't a clue and not much cash. Wondering can anyone recommend what I need and a good programme. Don't have a mac. Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Get something like this or this if your budget will stretch to it.

Use Audacity to record

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭the goon

Thanks souch. That's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 PopSensyDad

Just adding info... If you use an amp and have fairly quiet environment, just point this or alike to it is also an idea. Not clean sound like direct input but more live feeling.

For DAW, "ProTools First" is also a good one and is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jacksonsarm

Check out reaper for daw. Free but you can pay for license if you think it's good value. Plus one on the behrenger umc. I have 8 channel version and it's amazing. If you're on a budget I'd recommend getting a modelling pedal like the harley benton truetone from thomann which will give you options too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I couldn't remember if Reaper was permanently free, or just 6 months. Definitely the PC DAW of choice these days, assuming you don't want to pay for ProTools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

+1 for Reaper. It's free for the evaluation period....when it starts up you can keep using the eval license indefinitely but will have to wait 5 seconds every time you start it up. It's cheap anyway so worth supporting the developers if you get much use out of it.

Regarding record direct to an audio interface, your guitar will sound quite thin without any amp/cab simulation but there are a lot of free plugins you can use in Reaper (or any DAW). Amplitube 4 has a free version which has some pedals and amps in it, I haven't used the free version but it should get you started.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

You definitely don't need a Mac, I've always used a PC to great effect. I agree on Audacity, would recommend the Focusrite pre-amp. I got this mic last year and the fidelity is savage.

https://m.thomann.de/ie/tannoy_tm1.htm?glp=1

Best of luck with it, you'll have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

reaper is enough, can be daunting to get started but we're here to help! i'd also recommend getting a pack of virtual guitar amps and effects !!

Advertisement