Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applying for more than one Post-Primary

• 28-10-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭

We're in a situation where we need to start enrollment for next years Post-Primary. At the moment we have a clear choice of where we want to send our son. They have restricted numbers though, and they give preference to siblings of existing pupils. As our son is an only child we are worried he won't be accepted despite excellent grades.

Is it normal to apply to a second (or third) school, and then pick the best or most suitable of which ones accept enrollment?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

"Grades" have nothing to do with it- even if standard tests across the entire primary curriculum existed.Schools cannot discriminate of the results of entrance assessments either.

You need to read the policy of enrollment for any school you are considering. Some areas run a CAO type application form, so you need to keep that in mind. Likewise, some primary schools feed into secondaries so that needs to be considered too. If you can and do apply for more than one school, you need to inform the other schools ASAP that you won't be taking up the places asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Apply to every school that logistically works for your son to get too.

We applied to 3 for my son and he only got into one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

We had to do it. My son is not baptised and he may not get a place in his preferred school so we had to apply to another one, which asked for acceptance forms to be submitted with the initial application (quite weird but I find he whole school system here confusing). In the acceptance form, one of the questions was whether the applicant is waiting for an offer from a different school, so I had to truthfully answer yes to that. Now I'm worried that this answer may put him at a disadvantage and he'll end up with no secondary school offers at all. I think I'd prefer a grade based enrolment since he's a bright kid with above average results. I'm definitely not loving the religious criterion in 21st century...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

andala wrote: »
    We had to do it. My son is not baptised and he may not get a place in his preferred school so we had to apply to another one, which asked for acceptance forms to be submitted with the initial application (quite weird but I find he whole school system here confusing). In the acceptance form, one of the questions was whether the applicant is waiting for an offer from a different school, so I had to truthfully answer yes to that. Now I'm worried that this answer may put him at a disadvantage and he'll end up with no secondary school offers at all. I think I'd prefer a grade based enrolment since he's a bright kid with above average results. I'm definitely not loving the religious criterion in 21st century...
    Again “ above average results “ in what ? And schools cannot select on the basis of academic ability , thankfully .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

andala wrote: »

We've received an acceptance from our second choice, along with a request for €70 fee, and a ten day deadline.

It's looking like we'll have to pay the €70, then be prepared to walk away from it if he still gets the first choice.

• Advertisement

We got a letter today, he's on the waiting list for the 1st choice, 2nd choice will have their offers sent out on Monday so we'll see where we go from there :(

@byhookorbycrook in the standarised tests. I thought standarised meant they were the same all over the country? In my homeland all schools take the same exams so results are comparable. Maybe it works differently here. Lack of grades in primary school is still a shock to me. I'm not sure why academic ability is 'thankfully' not considered. I think the German system where kids are divided on the basis of their academic potential is beneficial to all - I've two kids, one is strong academically, the other, while not really stupid, requires a lot of support both in school and at home and to put the two of them in one class would be a disaster.

The standardized tests are only in maths and English reading, not the entire curriculum and were never designed to be used to rank children. A child can be strong in maths but not in English reading and vice versa, so what would happen in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Financesetc.

Are they any grants for working couples to send there kids to creche, preschool. All new to me so havent a clue.

The standardized tests are only in maths and English reading, not the entire curriculum and were never designed to be used to rank children. A child can be strong in maths but not in English reading and vice versa, so what would happen in that case?

The same thing that happens in the continent, secondary schools have profiles, eg technical, humanistic, sport, business. Schools can decide what points are needed to get in. Ability seems more fair than the belief in an invisible creature or lack of thereof - but that's just my opinion, obviously in Ireland religion tops achievement and, having moved here by choice, I have to accept it

Advertisement