Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Bans Free Speech

• 13-10-2020 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Mark Zuckerberg has banned all posts on Facebook which deny that the Holocaust ever took place.
    This action is tantamount to saying "Shut up, your opinion doesn't count, we're not going to listen to you, or give you the chance to express an opinion, you bigoted scum. The Holocaust happened, as the Official History states, so believe it."
    Holocaust deniers/doubters have been a thorn in the side of Holocaust believers for a while now. Just what does Zuckerberg and his kind fear from these people? That they might find an uncomfortable truth? eek.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Maybe take this type of twaddle to the conspiracy theory threads.
    Are you a holocaust denier yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Count Down wrote: »
    Mark Zuckerberg has banned all posts on Facebook which deny that the Holocaust ever took place.
    This action is tantamount to saying "Shut up, your opinion doesn't count, we're not going to listen to you, or give you the chance to express an opinion, you bigoted scum. The Holocaust happened, as the Official History states, so believe it."
    Holocaust deniers/doubters have been a thorn in the side of Holocaust believers for a while now. Just what does Zuckerberg and his kind fear from these people? That they might find an uncomfortable truth? eek.png

I hope denying the Holocaust is banned on Boards too. Post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Not a denier, more of a doubter.
    I believe that the Holocaust happened, but not to the extent of 6000,000 deaths.
    Facebook shouldn't have had to take this drastic action.

Holocaust deniers are human filth, a waste of space, oxygen and food. People who think the holocaust can be denied, the pure evil that happened downplayed or in worst cases was justified, deserve to be banned from social media platforms and thereafter should be prosecuted effectively and given ‘harsh’ prison sentences.

I can’t stand Zuckerberg and Facebook generally speaking but he’s absolutely right here. There’s nothing to be debated here. It’s their platform and if they see fit to do the right thing, that should be applauded. You have no right to free speech via a corporates technology platform.

OP, if you believe otherwise and think the Holocaust deniers have an argument to be made, they’ll have to make it in person and in public. We’ll see how long it takes for the law or actions of the public to show them the consequences of exercising their ‘right’ to free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

That the holocaust happened is a fact which means that denying it isn't opinion, its a falsehood.

Besides, free speech doesn't apply to facebook in the way you think it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I just assumed that holocost deniers are from the same kind of sub-set as flat earthers and no rational person pays any attention to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dublinstudent.

gmisk wrote: »
    Maybe take this type of twaddle to the conspiracy theory threads.
    Are you a holocaust denier yourself?
    Not a denier, more of a doubter.
    I believe that the Holocaust happened, but not to the extent of 6000,000 deaths.
    Facebook shouldn't have had to take this drastic action.
    I have been to the death camps. This crap you are coming out with, is offensive and downright disgraceful. Hopefully, as others here have mentioned, the admin will remove you. And I aint a fan of Zuckerberg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

An uncomfortable truth?
    You trying to allude to something there?

Facebook is not a free speech site, nor as a matter of interest is boards.
    Holocaust denial is frankly abhorrent and that it is a hill you wish to stake a claim to "free speech" on?
    Says far more about you, than Zuckerberg!
    As does your particular use of numbers.

I have been to the death camps. This crap you are coming out with, is offensive and downright disgraceful. Hopefully, as others here have mentioned, the admin will remove you. And I aint a fan of Zuckerberg

The point I'm making is that Zuckerberg banning Holocaust denial makes him look like a petulant dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The point I'm making is that Zuckerberg banning Holocaust denial makes him look like a petulant dictator.

No, it really doesn't. Thinking that it does makes you something though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a private platform. He can host whatever he wants.

Holocaust deniers are subhuman scum. I've been to Auschwitz. That the cultural tumours are wailing and moaning because someone is standing up to them is long, long overdue.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

No it doesn't.
    He doesn't have to give absolute looney bins a platform it's as simple as that. Same when it comes other groups of loopers.

"Holocaust doubter"... FFS...

You should maybe visit Auschwitz/Birkenau it might give you an idea of the scale and horror of the holocaust.
    If the reality of it all isn't palatable for some reason...the topography of terror in Berlin is extremely factual and might wise you up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Free speech means you can stand in the middle of O’Connell Street and spout all you want with a megaphone, I can’t stop you (can choose to ignore you).

But free speech does not mean that you can use ANY other platform to shout about what you believe in, rightly or wrongly

By your logic on Facebook, is it then a “free speech” issue that you can’t go on RTE and say whatever you want about the Holocaust? Didn’t think so

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Juza1973

I left Facebook years ago and never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

this has prompted me to do some research, Holocost Denial is apparently illegal in many European states and there is provision in EU law for prosecution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_Holocaust_denial

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't see them shutting free speech. Everyone is entitled to their opinion BUT there is a responsibility on all social media sites to weed out blatant lies. They shouldn't allow posts stating
    blatant & disrespectful lies as facts.

There are posters here on boards stating that Covid-19 isn't real. This is very difficult on readers who have watched family members die from the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

"Holocaust doubter" :rolleyes:

Go **** yourself.

If you don't like facebook, maybe join twitter, and follow this page for a while with your "doubts"

https://twitter.com/AuschwitzMuseum

"Holocaust doubter" :rolleyes:

Go **** yourself.

If you don't like facebook, maybe join twitter, and follow this page for a while with your "doubts"

https://twitter.com/AuschwitzMuseum

Charming.
    Back in the day, we used to line up 4 or 5 of your sort, make them drop their britches and bend over, then use them as a toast rack.
    Sadly, there's seems to be a law against it nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You can't have an opinion on facts.

I can say the weather is too warm or too cold that is subjective and only my opinion.

However I can't say it's night-time in Dublin while looking at the sun shining in Dublin, even if I choose to go into a darkened room it still doesn't change the fact, and if I was to claim that being in a dark room room meant it was night time it would only be demonstrating my ignorance of the fact.

The Holocaust happened, there is plenty of evidence, denying it only demonstrates your ignorance.

Charming.
    Back in the day, we used to line up 4 or 5 of your sort, make them drop their britches and bend over, then use them as a toast rack.
    Sadly, there's seems to be a law against it nowadays.
    #old man yells at cloud#
    I don't think there is a law against using someone's ass as a toast rack seemingly.....sure whatever floats your boat

• Advertisement

You can't have an opinion on facts.

I can say the weather is too warm or too cold that is subjective and only my opinion.

However I can't say it's night-time in Dublin while looking at the sun shining in Dublin, even if I choose to go into a darkened room it still doesn't change the fact, and if I was to claim that being in a dark room room meant it was night time it would only be demonstrating my ignorance of the fact.

The Holocaust happened, there is plenty of evidence, denying it only demonstrates your ignorance.

Of course you can have an opinion on facts.
    I believe that the Holocaust happened, that it is a fact. My opinion of that fact is that it occurred on a lesser scale.
    Accepting 'facts' without question breeds ignorance and can lead to intolerance of other people's opinions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course you can have an opinion on facts.
    I believe that the Holocaust happened, that it is a fact. My opinion of that fact is that it occurred on a lesser scale.
    Accepting 'facts' without question breeds ignorance and can lead to intolerance of other people's opinions.

What evidence do you have?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I've been to Sachsenhausen and I also spoke to my Grandma. She was a nazi but she didnt agree with the treatment of the jews. Neither here nor there, she knew it was happening. The Holocaust did happen. You may want to say it didn't but why escapes me. I cant see any decent motives behind it quite the opposite. Thats me being polite.

Do I agree with that 'opinion' being censored? Tbh probably not. Because of free speech and because it will only make the believers believe it even more. But its facebook. They simply decide not to give you a platform. Why would they? The name Zuckerberg suggests jewish ancestry. He'd be mad to allow it.

What evidence do you have?[/QUOTE

Without getting too technical and going too off-topic, the logistics of exterminating 6000,000 Jews and disposing of their bodies without trace is difficult to explain logically. In my opinion the figure is about half that total, or even less.

Without getting too technical and going too off-topic, the logistics of exterminating 6000,000 Jews and disposing of their bodies without trace is difficult to explain logically. In my opinion the figure is about half that total, or even less.

So none.

H. H. Asquith

I've been to Sachsenhausen and I also spoke to my Grandma. She was a nazi but she didnt agree with the treatment of the jews. Neither here nor there, she knew it was happening. The Holocaust did happen. You may want to say it didn't but why escapes me. I cant see any decent motives behind it quite the opposite. Thats me being polite.

I never said it didn't happen. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

For too long people's opinion has been stated as facts on the internet.

We now have a huge group of people who think the earth is flat for example.

Before the internet these people would of been ignored and they wouldn't get heard by many people.

I'm not sure why these opinions have huge followings these days.

I grew up knowing everything on the internet could be a lie but it seems that in the past few years with some people taking to social media they have decided that every bit of opinion is a fact. Unfortunally we have to think of these gullible people on the internet these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I never said it didn't happen. :confused:

Fair enough and yes 6 million people is probably an estimate to some degree. However, even if it was half that it wouldnt make it less monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

JayZeus wrote: »
    Holocaust deniers are human filth, a waste of space, oxygen and food. People who think the holocaust can be denied, the pure evil that happened downplayed or in worst cases was justified, deserve to be banned from social media platforms and thereafter should be prosecuted effectively and given ‘harsh’ prison sentences.

I can’t stand Zuckerberg and Facebook generally speaking but he’s absolutely right here. There’s nothing to be debated here. It’s their platform and if they see fit to do the right thing, that should be applauded. You have no right to free speech via a corporates technology platform.

OP, if you believe otherwise and think the Holocaust deniers have an argument to be made, they’ll have to make it in person and in public. We’ll see how long it takes for the law or actions of the public to show them the consequences of exercising their ‘right’ to free speech.

I disagree, let them speak and their bull**** be torn apart by debate and reason.

Banning them gives them some sort of cult status.

And prison ? for an opinion ? - a nasty one at that, but you are going down a dangerous road when you want to imprison people for opinions - good or bad.

Should we imprison flat-earthers and creationists ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭daheff

I
    Should we imprison flat-earthers

YES

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement