Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are pure codeine products prescription-only?

• 11-10-2020 7:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Seems a bit backwards to me. In the past I have tried to get codeine from a pharmacy. The ones they have are Solpadeine (codeine + paracetamol) and Nurofen Plus (codeine + ibuprofen).

Looking at the HPRA website, it seems that Codinex (codeine only) is prescription.

It seems like faulty reasoning to make it prescription-only if it's to prevent abuse . People who are already addicted to codeine won't care about the ibuprofen/paracatemol. They'll take an excessive amount which might cause them to develop GI issuess/peptic ulcer down the line or die of liver failure.

If Nurofen Plus/Solpadeine was prescription-only and Codinex OTC then I believe we'd see less codeine related complications in hospitals.

Comments

Seems a bit backwards to me. In the past I have tried to get codeine from a pharmacy. The ones they have are Solpadeine (codeine + paracetamol) and Nurofen Plus (codeine + ibuprofen).

Looking at the HPRA website, it seems that Codinex (codeine only) is prescription.

It seems like faulty reasoning to make it prescription-only if it's to prevent abuse . People who are already addicted to codeine won't care about the ibuprofen/paracatemol. They'll take an excessive amount which might cause them to develop GI issuess/peptic ulcer down the line or die of liver failure.

If Nurofen Plus/Solpadeine was prescription-only and Codinex OTC then I believe we'd see less codeine related complications in hospitals.

No offence but the rationale you put forward is exactly the rationale of somebody with a severe addiction. Not many would risk liver failure to get a mild euphoria from their codeine. Also, if i remember correctly, the codeine in OTC (with pharmacist approval) is 8mg whereas prescription codeine by itself is usually tablets containing 15 or 30mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

No offence but the rationale you put forward is exactly the rationale of somebody with a severe addiction. Not many would risk liver failure to get a mild euphoria from their codeine. Also, if i remember correctly, the codeine in OTC (with pharmacist approval) is 8mg whereas prescription codeine by itself is usually tablets containing 15 or 30mg.

Up to 12.8mg in Neurofen plus & solpaplus.

Also Codinex IS available OTC at 15mg/5mls

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Solpadol and Tylex have 30 mgs codeine and are prescription only. They are the only meds that reduce my pain enough to let me function. I would prefer them without the paracetamol.

Addiction is a choice.

I have never heard of Codinex

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Graces7 wrote: »
    Solpadol and Tylex have 30 mgs codeine and are prescription only. They are the only meds that reduce my pain enough to let me function. I would prefer them without the paracetamol.

Addiction is a choice.

I have never heard of Codinex

You can get a prescription for Codeine phosphate 30mgs with no added pain relief

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Graces7 wrote: »
    Addiction is a choice.

A choice for you maybe. Most people aren't the same as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

This is not the first time you've posted about these types of medication.

I wonder do you have issues with painkillers.
    Your posting history is very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111047919

Here is another thread. Are you addicted to pain medication?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Iodine1

Had a look at that reference. The moment I saw op using the USA as a standard, I stopped reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

He’s addicted to opening inane threads on boards. A major Walter Mitty character.

Effects wrote: »
    A choice for you maybe. Most people aren't the same as you.

What does that mean?

Yes we make choices about what and how we medicate. I have experienced addiction through wrongly prescribed meds in the past and getting clear is sheer hell. That was not my choice, but now I research anything that is prescribed and make a clear choice. Taking only what I absolutely need.

Yes we have choice.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You can get a prescription for Codeine phosphate 30mgs with no added pain relief

Really? Thank you.. That would be good.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

He’d better be careful or he’ll need dialysis for ruined kidneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

He’d better be careful or he’ll need dialysis for ruined kidneys.

He's already trying to see if he can rock up to a hospital for treatment in other threads.
    That Boards make an ongoing conscious decision to let Mr Feg keep posting threads where he is very deliberately provocative and skirts the law.
    Then that they let him repeat the same threads ad nauseaum only reinforces the germ of an idea that Mr Feg is a boards employee here to drum up post and reaction rates.

If this WUM is actually a real person, there is a need for serious intervention and allowing them to continue posting here is no help to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

banie01 wrote: »
    He's already trying to see if he can rock up to a hospital for treatment in other threads.
    That Boards make an ongoing conscious decision to let Mr Feg keep posting threads where he is very deliberately provocative and skirts the law.
    Then that they let him repeat the same threads ad nauseaum only reinforces the germ of an idea that Mr Feg is a boards employee here to drum up post and reaction rates.

If this WUM is actually a real person, there is a need for serious intervention and allowing them to continue posting here is no help to them.

In what way do you think I need serious intervention?

In what way do you think I need serious intervention?

Because you're a loon, if any intervention is required it should be the CMH for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Because you're a loon, if any intervention is required it should be the CMH for you.

What in my posting history would lead you to believe that I'm a loon.

Are you genuinely serious or just having a laugh? What would you do if you met someone like me IRL?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

You can get Codinex over the counter. I have a bottle of it in my house! Expect a good questioning from the pharmacist though

What in my posting history would lead you to believe that I'm a loon.

Are you genuinely serious or just having a laugh? What would you do if you met someone like me IRL?

All of it. I’m genuinely serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

because it's a nice buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

All of it. I’m genuinely serious.

All of this, Mr Feg your posting history is littered with incidences that can charitably be described as misguided.

Yet you repeat not only the behaviour, but the posts about that behaviour too.
    There are a few axioms that spring to mind that you fit surprisingly well.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results

Which segues nicely into a psychology today article you might find interesting (but I doubt it)
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/ie/blog/matter-personality/201509/what-makes-people-do-the-same-stupid-things-repeatedly

You may eventually reach that level of repetition that Voltaire outlined...
    The more often a stupidity is repeated, the more it gets the appearance of wisdom.
    But then I would seriously worry for anyone who found your own "wisdom" in anyway appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

OP, you're comparing medications for pain relief with another for treatment of dry cough. These are not interchangeable - the only thing they have in common is that they contain codeine.

Mod note

I'm closing this thread as it's descended into bickering.

mr_fegelien - your posts on this forum are focused on medications with potential for misuse and skirting legal controls around medicines, starting more threads along these lines will result in sanctions.

Abel Ruiz, banie01, Dogg Munde - please keep your posting civil, play the ball not the man.

Any queries, please PM me.

Kurt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement