Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Failed my leaving and a PLC, don’t know what to do now

• 28-09-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My dream is do to biological and chemical sciences in either UCC or UCD, I got less than 100 points in my leaving due to being in hospital for most of it, I then did a plc and achieved four distinctions but was unsuccessful in a module therefore I didn’t get any offers on the CAO, by the time I realised this it was too late to repeat the exam. All of the plcs in my area are full as are the waiting lists for them. I have no idea what to do now, I have no chance of getting into university and genuinely just want to die at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

How did you do in your LC mocks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

You have your heart set on a goal, you have two options.

Either you can repeat your leaving cert and spend as much time as possible studying, get grinds and ensure you get the required points...

...or you can change tack and take a different path in life!

I know of literally thousands of people who didn't bother with college and live full and happy lives. Many are happier than any of the people I know who were university educated!

Why not try and get a job somewhere like a local business to start with? Do you know anyone who has connections that could get you a start somewhere? Any and all working experiences add value to your CV, provided you work hard and make a good impression. You'll grow as a person from the experiences in those jobs too.

If you do decide to go the repeat route, it won't be easy. Luckily, these days, there are loads of great grinds and tutorials online which levels the playing field a bit and enables people who can't pay for the extra support to teach themselves.

Life might seem very depressing now because you're overwhelmed after a sad outcome, but I guarantee you there are many, many happy days ahead of you no matter what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Repeat the year no shame in it, 2020 was a write off for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sammye333

I went back to college as a mature student at 24. Take a few years out working/earning and enjoy life.(as best as you can with covid). Things will work out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ah, you're only twenty (if your other post is still valid) - don't be giving up so easily! A degree is only a stepping stone towards something else, so what's the dream beyond your graduation ceremony? What do you want to do with your biological and chemical sciences? That'll very much influence what alternative pathways are open to you.

Let's say, for example, that you wanted to get into permaculture or nature conservation or wetland management, you could easily find yourself a placement working on a project in one of these areas, especially if you'd do it for next-to-nothing in exchange for bed and board (lots of well-moderated schemes that facilitate that). Get out of Ireland and learn another language as a bonus.

If your interest is more along the lines of cosmetics, food processing or paramedical work, that'd be a little bit more challenging, but there'd be nothing stopping you from applying for an alternative role in one of those businesses, from where you could refine your ideas. Having that kind of experience would help you decide whether, in another few years, you still wanted to follow the dream, or whether in fact it was never really your destiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 luciphyr

Ah, you're only twenty (if your other post is still valid) - don't be giving up so easily! A degree is only a stepping stone towards something else, so what's the dream beyond your graduation ceremony? What do you want to do with your biological and chemical sciences? That'll very much influence what alternative pathways are open to you.

Let's say, for example, that you wanted to get into permaculture or nature conservation or wetland management, you could easily find yourself a placement working on a project in one of these areas, especially if you'd do it for next-to-nothing in exchange for bed and board (lots of well-moderated schemes that facilitate that). Get out of Ireland and learn another language as a bonus.

If your interest is more along the lines of cosmetics, food processing or paramedical work, that'd be a little bit more challenging, but there'd be nothing stopping you from applying for an alternative role in one of those businesses, from where you could refine your ideas. Having that kind of experience would help you decide whether, in another few years, you still wanted to follow the dream, or whether in fact it was never really your destiny.

My goal/dream would to become a lecturer so the university route is the only path for me I’m afraid. Thank you for your reply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

just repeat them next year study all this year
    if you do pass them next year you might find university science program to hard to keep up with

look at computer programming and AI there's more jobs in them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

luciphyr wrote: »
    My goal/dream would to become a lecturer so the university route is the only path for me

Not necessarily. Again, it depends on what you're looking for. (University) lecturers usually have to have something else going on for them to be given the role, either as a researcher or a practitioner of what they're teaching. If you have nothing other than a basic degree, regardless of how hard you've worked to get it, you'll find yourself being passed over in favour of people who have done more/something else, e.g. coming in as a mature student after three, four, five years working in the field.

On the other hand, if it's teaching and working with young people that attracts you, there are literally dozens of opportunities to get involved in "teaching" in the broadest sense. I have a grand total of zero teaching qualifications, but it's still one of the most active and satisfying parts of my professional and personal life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Repeat the year no shame in it, 2020 was a write off for everyone.

Going to tell you the same. I am in University and it is *DEAD*. There is no fun, no friendships, no bar. I have never been in a group this big in my life and felt so alone at the same time.

Go try register for springboard course. Do something from home. Learn a new skill that has nothing to do with your future. Learn to draw, cook, cut hair, learn to trade stocks whatever. Dont get so hung up on the lecturing thing, Let your experience inside and outside university decide where you want to go, industry might be calling.

I am at that age where I had defined timelines and goals, I dont have the luxury to wait. If you can afford to sit this year out do so. Dont waste this dead year in college that is so unpredictable.

Advertisement