Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Open 2020

Comments

lostcat wrote: »
    ah look, a lot of people (inc a few on here) don't like Djokovic and enjoy his various misfortunes, perhaps ocasionally overstating his intent in the process

but a linesperson shouldn't have to to continuously 'keep an eye' on a player in case they let fly with a loose ball! her reaction (i.e. shock) was a perfectly normal one from someone who had, out of the blu been hit in the throat by a missile.

I said that I was surprised that she didn't see the ball coming -> in her peripheral vision.

I didn't say that she should be watching the players.

She was hit but a 4 movement collapse did look a bit dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

glasso wrote: »
    I said that I was surprised that she didn't see the ball coming -> in her peripheral vision.

I didn't say that she should be watching the players.

She was hit but a 4 movement collapse did look a bit dramatic.

That's fair enough

are you over 75?

the ball was not going very quickly, at all.
    :rolleyes:

You said Djokovics tap was more powerful than an average persons forehand.
    So your forehand is 30-40km/hr is it ??

His backswing was less than a foot on a static tennis ball, you can't generate much power on that, its the laws of physics .
    The ball looks like its beginning to drop in height just before it hits the judge ,thats how weak a shot it is.

It's so obvious in this thread which people actually play tennis. :pac:

From a quick Google the fastest the average 12 year old can throw a tennis ball is about the same as how hard Djokovic hit the ball. I'd recommend both of you find a 12 year old and have them throw a tennis ball at your throat as best they can from a similar distance and see how you feel afterwards. Better yet, try taking it in your, eh, private area (which Djokovic could easily have done as he wasn't looking) and see if you feel fine afterwards.

Besides, as other have said, it shouldn't matter how hard he hit it. It's not up to him to determine the pain threshold or reaction time of a line judge. What he did was dangerous and should be a default regardless of whether the line judge overreacted and was or was not in as much pain as she seemed to suggest. A two-legged tackle in football can completely miss the opposing player and still be considered a red card because it was reckless and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Myself and Glasso will have to challenge yourself and Rob2D to a game so .
    Even with a bad back and dodgy knees I think we'd put up a decent showing.:)

Myself and Glasso will have to challenge yourself and Rob2D to a game so .
    Even with a bad back and dodgy knees I think we'd put up a decent showing.:)

Easily solved. :pac:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/454140/First_Person_Tennis__The_Real_Tennis_Simulator/#:~:text=First%20Person%20Tennis-,is%20the%20first%20tennis%20simulator%20developed%20for%20HTC%20Vive%2C%20Oculus,your%20technical%20and%20tactical%20skills.

• Advertisement

From a quick Google the fastest the average 12 year old can throw a tennis ball is about the same as how hard Djokovic hit the ball. I'd recommend both of you find a 12 year old and have them throw a tennis ball at your throat as best they can from a similar distance and see how you feel afterwards. Better yet, try taking it in your, eh, private area (which Djokovic could easily have done as he wasn't looking) and see if you feel fine afterwards.

Besides, as other have said, it shouldn't matter how hard he hit it. It's not up to him to determine the pain threshold or reaction time of a line judge. What he did was dangerous and should be a default regardless of whether the line judge overreacted and was or was not in as much pain as she seemed to suggest. A two-legged tackle in football can completely miss the opposing player and still be considered a red card because it was reckless and dangerous.

oh my gawd, not you... of all the most pointless posters on boards, it's the most pointless one of all.

I play tennis.

that ball was not going fast.

the point the other poster made was that it had more force than "most forehands you and I would hit" - that was the point.

it's not.

what 12 year olds throwing tennis balls has to do with anything I don't know or care and have no intention going down a fecking "Aristotle" tangent blackhole like the poor bashtards yesterday evening had to endure

oh my gawd, not you... of all the most pointless posters on boards, it's the most pointless one of all.

Wow you really do like having an argument up until the point that someones starts arguing back don't you? Maybe stick to helping out the Facebook moms in the laptop forum so you can feel special if you can't handle anyone criticising your opinion after you have criticised someone elses?
    what 12 year olds throwing tennis balls has to do with anything I don't know or care

It's quite clear the point I was making. If you don't have a response to it, my suggestion is don't reply rather than whining like a child.

If you think you would not feel pain after been hit in your special area by a 40 km/hr tennis ball, good for you.

Oh don't cry now.

At least I actually provide some useful advice not just being the boards waste of space / uber-tangent master

Oh don't cry now.

At least I actually provide some useful advice not just being the boards waste of space / uber-tangent master

Excellent off tangent irrelevant reply. Reported.

And yes telling someone to go look on Amazon for a printer is incredibly helpful and insightful.

And don't worry I know where I can buy a 30 cent handwipe for my tears.

We're in a tennis forum, stick to the discussion at hand please. What would be your opinion if he had hit a guy in his special area instead at that speed?

oh please - you jump in with irrelevant points and tangents on discussions that you aren't involved in at all all over boards (as here now)- look at the pure muck that you dragged people into on this Tennis forum yesterday evening for example - pages of pure drivel.

• Advertisement

oh please - you jump in with irrelevant points and tangents on discussions that you aren't involved in at all all over boards (as here now)- look at the pure muck that you dragged people into on this Tennis forum yesterday evening for example - pages of pure drivel.

I wasn't in the tennis forum yesterday, but I do appreciate your stalking.

And it's pretty obvious that you didn't have anything to add yourself yesterday, you just typed anything just so that you could attack me because bullying gets you off or something.

If you're not going to actually reply with anything more tennis related in this thread, perhaps go back to hiding in the laptop forum like a good boy, and also perhaps stop following me around on Boards like a weirdo.

Anyway, back on topic. Has there been any statement by the line judge yet?

the obscene drivel starting a number of pages back on this very thread.

I don't follow anyone around boards

you just seem to be everywhere

the obscene drivel starting 2 pages back on this thread.

I don't follow anyone around boards

you just seem to be everywhere

TENNIS. We're in the tennis forum. Enough of the drivel. Go learn some punctuation if you've nothing to contribute.

TENNIS. We're in the tennis forum. Enough of the drivel. Go learn some punctuation if you've nothing to contribute.

Actually it's the Racquet Sports forum.

Anyway I've added you to ignore (first ever!) now so life will be easier.

Actually it's the Racquet Sports forum.

Anyway I've added you to ignore (first ever!) now so life will be easier.

I've tried about five times now to bring the topic back to tennis and you haven't tried once. You really are petulant child who doesn't like the idea of ever being wrong.

And don't worry, you've been in my ignore list for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

tenor.gif?itemid=12618427

tenor.gif?itemid=12618427

There's only way we can settle this - a bra and panties match! :pac:

well, whatever about GOAT debates and all that, I would like to be the first to commend Mr. Djokovic for injecting some much needed life into this forum....no one else seems to be able to do it quite as well..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

lostcat wrote: »
    well, whatever about GOAT debates and all that, I would like to be the first to commend Mr. Djokovic for injecting some much needed life into this forum....no one else seems to be able to do it quite as well..

It's weird, the Djokovic incident has caused more discussion than the entire tournament so far. I know the US Open is all very weird this year but I've gotten used to no crowds and I'm enjoying it.

I don't really feel there's much to debate with the Djokovic incident tbh, it was quite clearly a breach of the rules and warranted an immediate default. Yes it was obviously an accident, but he's old enough and experienced enough now to know better. In the long run I don't think it'll be too damaging to him, what Shapovalov did was much worse and it's long since been forgotten. He'll be kicking himself for how stupid he was though, and missing out on what may have been one of the easiest slam wins of his career.

It's weird, the Djokovic incident has caused more discussion than the entire tournament so far. I know the US Open is all very weird this year but I've gotten used to no crowds and I'm enjoying it.

I don't really feel there's much to debate with the Djokovic incident tbh, it was quite clearly a breach of the rules and warranted an immediate default.

Agreed. I think the reason it's created a lot of discussion is because it's made headline news and so a lot of people who only occasionally watch/play tennis and who don't know the rules have become interested in the decision and decided to question if it shouldn't have been a default because it was an accident, not excessive etc, even though none of those matter and there isn't anything to debate about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Great to see so many on the forum but let's keep the personal insults out please.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Great to see so many on the forum but let's keep the personal insults out please.

cripes, that fairly killed things!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thiem giving FAA a lesson at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm actually surprised that she didn't avoid it really by seeing it coming - must have be staring off somewhere.

If you look at the very first second of the clip you can see that she was in the process of rising upright from looking down the line in a bent over position. The second she was fully upright that's when she was hit, so it wasn't a case she was just standing there day-dreaming.

AllForIt wrote: »
    If you look at the very first second of the clip you can see that she was in the process of rising upright from looking down the line in a bent over position. The second she was fully upright that's when she was hit, so it wasn't a case she was just standing there day-dreaming.

well it was more about the fact that the ball wasn't going that quickly so that would have expected her peripheral vision would have caught it so she might have moved a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Thiem steamrolling FAA at this stage.

Shapovalov through in four.

well it was more about the fact that the ball wasn't going that quickly so that would have expected her peripheral vision would have caught it so she might have moved a bit.

Well, I don't know what your definition of 'fast' is but I'd say from the point the ball left his racquet to the point it hit was a fraction of a second.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Well, I don't know what your definition of 'fast' is but I'd say from the point the ball left his racquet to the point it hit was a fraction of a second.

even the average human has a fairly quick visual reaction time tbh -> 0.25 seconds

https://backyardbrains.com/experiments/reactiontime#:~:text=The%20average%20reaction%20time%20for,seconds%20for%20a%20touch%20stimulus.

I accept that but I still think you're stubbornly not taking into account the factors of the situation I laid out earlier.

The article you linked says noting about an element of surprise in comparison to being alert.

Novak had his back to her and then suddenly swung around and whacked it in her direction just when she was standing upright.

I have a feeling we might just go round in circles with this so I'll leave it there. Your welcome to comment further but I don't think you'll ever accept what I'm saying.

• Advertisement

I get what you're saying

either way she didn't move!

mess of a situation anyways

fully accept that the rules are as they are and it was a rash move on his part

Was Djokovic's slam the way things were looking - he was looking solid

Would like to see Shapovalov show something - if he's going to be a top player he has an opportunity here

Advertisement