Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crew cab/ passenger jeep

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I test drove one a year ago, not too bad at all

Depreciation would be enormous however

I brought a friend's one for a spin last week but I'm not used to an automatic so spent more time concentrating on that then the driving experience. They seem a nice comfortable yolk although this one in particular was high spec so it's hard to compare like with like. I agree that depreciation would be a big drawback, either trade for new again or sell privately at a large discount. The exterior styling isn't the most pleasing either and it looks pretty bare imo although I could learn to live with that.

Another thing that bug's me about almost all pickup manufacturer's in recent years is that they've made there jeeps so much bigger and more awkward. The newer Ford ranger and Hilux in particular are like a tank compared to the older models with lots of nice but impractical chrome work. When you stick a reasonable sized trailer on tow your equivalent in size to a good lorry and would need a map to get turned in tight yard's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I brought a friend's one for a spin last week but I'm not used to an automatic so spent more time concentrating on that then the driving experience. They seem a nice comfortable yolk although this one in particular was high spec so it's hard to compare like with like. I agree that depreciation would be a big drawback, either trade for new again or sell privately at a large discount. The exterior styling isn't the most pleasing either and it looks pretty bare imo although I could learn to live with that.

Another thing that bug's me about almost all pickup manufacturer's in recent years is that they've made there jeeps so much bigger and more awkward. The newer Ford ranger and Hilux in particular are like a tank compared to the older models with lots of nice but impractical chrome work. When you stick a reasonable sized trailer on tow your equivalent in size to a good lorry and would need a map to get turned in tight yard's.
    A drover at local mart said that last year, that crew-cabs seams to need more space to get into loading bays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I test drove a 00 reg l200 a few years ago and the lock was absolutely shocking on it. Turning out the gate on straight on the road was just about doable without having to reverse a bit. Dunno was it just that pick up or can it be adjusted but it turned me off anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've never drove one but often heard that while not especially comfortable?

The Izusu Dmax are very reliable?

I test drove a 00 reg l200 a few years ago and the lock was absolutely shocking on it. Turning out the gate on straight on the road was just about doable without having to reverse a bit. Dunno was it just that pick up or can it be adjusted but it turned me off anyhow

The L200 have an especially poor steering lock but none of the pickups I've driven have been anything more than average in this regard. I had an Lwb Land cruiser before my current ranger and it had a lot a smaller turning circle than the Ford. A lot of yards locally are badly designed (think back to the days of a Massey 35 or a Jerusalem jeep) and having a vehicle that handle's like a boat is no help. Some of the pickup and trailer combinations I've encountered would require a trip down to the crossroads to turn them.

• Advertisement

The steering is better on the 06+ models

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Who2

I've never drove one but often heard that while not especially comfortable?

The Izusu Dmax are very reliable?

i would definately disagree on the comfort, they are a far more stable and comfortable drive than the new hilux and im not hearing any bad reports about them and they would be fairly popular around me. theres three lads i know that have vw amoraks but they seem to spend a fair bit of time in the mechanics.
    The new hiluxs are a pure disaster on any kind of corner and would be dragged around by either the amarok or even the 1.9 dmax.

Who2 wrote: »
    i would definately disagree on the comfort, they are a far more stable and comfortable drive than the new hilux and im not hearing any bad reports about them and they would be fairly popular around me. theres three lads i know that have vw amoraks but they seem to spend a fair bit of time in the mechanics.
    The new hiluxs are a pure disaster on any kind of corner and would be dragged around by either the amarok or even the 1.9 dmax.

Always liked the look of a D max ,see plenty around me too , like I said, heard no complaints about reliability but some claimed they had a hard ride ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Always liked the look of a D max ,see plenty around me too , like I said, heard no complaints about reliability but some claimed they had a hard ride ?

They look alright but a1.9l would only be suitable for pulling a few calves or sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Cavanjack wrote: »
    They look alright but a1.9l would only be suitable for pulling a few calves or sheep.

Are they not 1.9 with a twin turbo i thought

• Advertisement

I seen one pull a 16’ triaxle full with cows and calves up a brave hill no hassle, dropped gears alright but an invincible hilux was after failing with the same load.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I seen one pull a 16’ triaxle full with cows and calves up a brave hill no hassle, dropped gears alright but an invincible hilux was after failing with the same load.

off road or on road? same driver in each? auto or manual?

off road or on road? same driver in each? auto or manual?

Two different drivers both manual both in convoy, the hilux in front stopped and had to let the cattle off and walk them on the rest of the way, when he got out of the way the other lad pulled off no hassle with his load. It was up a farm lane and both lads would be well seasoned with driving with big loads behind them.
    I like hiluxs but the new ones seem like pure scrap.

Two different drivers both manual both in convoy, the hilux in front stopped and had to let the cattle off and walk them on the rest of the way, when he got out of the way the other lad pulled off no hassle with his load. It was up a farm lane and both lads would be well seasoned with driving with big loads behind them.
    The 3.0L 06-09 was high geared which made it bad for towing
    The 2.5L of same age was suppose to be better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It really does sound like driver error tbh they should be well fit to pull such a load. But ya they're too dear for what they are imo so I'd not be rushing out to buy one. Emissions restrictions have ruined this market segment.

The real elephant in the room though is the fact that none of these sorta loads are legal behind a yoke if push came to shove. Land into an rsa checkpoint with such a setup and it won't be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Be aware that mitsubishi are withdrawing fully from Europe so you may get a good deal on a fresh one (or avoid depending on your pov).

I drove a crew cab once for a fella nearby. Can't remember the make, but if you are planning on doing many miles with kids, you might want one with rear shocks instead of springs as the ride in the rear was sickness inducing. Very bumpy.

Also make sure you check the first gear - I've found a few of them have a first gear that is so tall you need to slip the clutch to take off to a ridiculous extent. Drove an old 5 speed Nissan which pulled like a train in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Maybe toyota are not the beast that they were 10 years ago. I know of 1 lad had a 00 landcruser and bought 201 and he disappointed with its pulling power, higher geared made for the suburban lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

kerryjack wrote: »
    Maybe toyota are not the beast that they were 10 years ago. I know of 1 lad had a 00 landcruser and bought 201 and he disappointed with its pulling power, higher geared made for the suburban lifestyle.

Is there any lowly geared 4X4 manufactured in last 10 years that can tow 3500Kgs?

That's a common complaint among several lad's that have changed to a new or nearly new model from an early 2000's jeep. Usually if I smell a clutch burning at the mart it's a newer jeep reversing in oftentimes with only a half a load. An older jeep could pull up well loaded and back up to chutes without any bother. I keep telling lads that you need to switch to the low box when reversing or pulling off in an awkward spot with a lot of the higher geared Jeep's. It's a pity that a 2 wheel drive low box isn't an option for such scenarios.

That's a common opinion

Oldies had more grunt

Diesel engines have been refined so much that the raw power is no longer there

See it with my brothers business class landcruiser, gorgeous on the motorway, gutless on rural roads

• Advertisement

That's a common complaint among several lad's that have changed to a new or nearly new model from an early 2000's jeep. Usually if I smell a clutch burning at the mart it's a newer jeep reversing in oftentimes with only a half a load. An older jeep could pull up well loaded and back up to chutes without any bother. I keep telling lads that you need to switch to the low box when reversing or pulling off in an awkward spot with a lot of the higher geared Jeep's. It's a pity that a 2 wheel drive low box isn't an option for such scenarios.
    When I’ve a trailer on the L200 I always drive in 4H
    Got a scare when I first got it with a full triaxel
    For loading at Dowra Mart I’d be in low box

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Anytime you see a war torn country, it’s always a Toyota hilux that has the machine gun or rocket launchers stuck in the back of them. So much so that Toyota asked isis to refrain from using their brand. To which they replied allah hakbar

Not sure what advantage there would be in a 2 wheel drive low box, always better to have the drive to the 4 wheels when starting off for increased traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Part of the reason perhaps to go auto if buying new or newish and will do a bit of towing? The auto in the amarok is 8 speed I think, newer ranger is similar, older one was 6 speed auto,

Not sure what advantage there would be in a 2 wheel drive low box, always better to have the drive to the 4 wheels when starting off for increased traction.

It would save scrubbing the tire's when turning tight on a solid surface and probably be less stress on the transmission imo. I'd agree about the increased traction when taking off but I'm talking more about reversing. On a solid surface in 4 low you've nearly too much traction so that's why I think a 2 low box would reduce the traction problem while still providing the lower gearing ratio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Backing a trailer in a yard or in the road. I’d alway use 2 low box.

Yeah on flat tarred surface it makes sense I suppose. I had our own yard and others I'd frequent in my head where you are always either backing up hill on gravel to pens or having to pull out up hill from a pen etc so 4wd is essential if you have any weight behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Problem with the van is when I have to pick kids up on the way home from work. It wouldnt work

Head home, pick up jeep and collect kids

:D

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Head home, pick up jeep and collect kids

:D

Problem solved.

Those ten-15 minutes on a winters evening are precious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Those ten-15 minutes on a winters evening are precious.

Crew cab van so, those peugeot 1.6 hdi engines run on the smell of diesel, I've the same engine I think in the 3008

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/peugeot-partner-1-6hdi-crew-cab-combi-van/25178792

Advertisement