Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Primavera Sound 2020

• 15-06-2019 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭

Hoping for Sufjan, St Vincent, System Of A Down and M83 to name a few.

Who do you think will show up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Pavement! Am getting an early bird today just in case I manage to convince the missus to go next year. think I've broken my brother-in-law after three in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

sweetie wrote: »
    Pavement! Am getting an early bird today just in case I manage to convince the missus to go next year. think I've broken my brother-in-law after three in a row

Nice, did you go VIP last year. Were you comfortable enough on the regular ticket?

Was searching the Internet for a VIP code people weren't using as myself and the missus have sore backs.

But hey if I don't get one I'll buy at the later time at the normal price.

Nice, did you go VIP last year. Were you comfortable enough on the regular ticket?

Was searching the Internet for a VIP code people weren't using as myself and the missus have sore backs.

But hey if I don't get one I'll buy at the later time at the normal price.

no, never bothered, you'll get to sit at most of the stages if you don't mind being further back. I also saw someone with camping chairs and another with one of those inflatable couches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Interested to see what they pull out of the bag for this one - the early announcement of Pavement makes me think they've got a few interesting things up their sleeves. Hopefully that includes something interesting with the line up for the Barcelona festival and not just the addition of new festivals around the world.

Wasn't at 2019 so no option of buying tickets yet but I did miss it over the June bank holiday weekend when I was staring out at the rain here!

So....Iron Maiden just announced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

not for Primavera Sound.

announced for their own gig at a different location, that Primavera are promoting.

not for Primavera Sound.

announced for their own gig at a different location, that Primavera are promoting.

really...phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I wouldn't have minded. Would be left field but an interesting headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Plush289

Line up announcement tomorrow evening!

Plush289 wrote: »

Just the first ten names, isn't it?

Well, numbers 2-11 after Pavement. And presumably the old reliable of DJ Coco and Shellac are confirmed too...

Lana Del Ray is a banker for this I reckon. Tyler the Creator too.

Beyond that, a lot of the people rumoured have been snapped up by Mad Cool so are at best unlikely now. Anderson Paak, Alt-J, Hinds, Maricka Hackman, Pixies and the Rapture are all at Mad Cool. Arctic Monkeys did both recently but it'd be a surprise to see any of those at Primavera.

I'm interested to see who else joins. The first announcement for All Points East (late May/early June) was strong - Caribou, Whitney, Glass Animals, Kelly Lee Owens, Holy **** and Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever subbing Tame Impala. Tame Impala were at PS this year so won't be back but the rest would all be welcome additions.

• Advertisement

Plush289 wrote: »

Mustn't be selling great as they were well late with announcement last year.

Mustn't be selling great as they were well late with announcement last year.

Last year, it was announced on December 5 so only a week in the difference.

Previous year was much later - the January I think - but that was down to waiting for Arctic Monkeys to announce their return and headline slot.

I wonder if they'll try do like Mad Cool and drip feed 10/20 bands per week? Or will they announce 10 and the ticket details and confirm a date for the rest of the announcement then?

It's the 20th year too so lots of speculation about special events and new additions.

end of January was the usual time for them to release the lineup up until 2 years ago.

Gabi said a few weeks ago that they were aiming to release the full lineup in December, and that they just had 1 act to sign off.

presume this 10 acts thing is to take some of the wind out of Mad Cool's sails, quite a few acts have been announced for there that would go down well at PS.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

presume this 10 acts thing is to take some of the wind out of Mad Cool's sails, quite a few acts have been announced for there that would go down well at PS.

Jesus that Mad Cool lineup is serious. Hoping the Rapture make it to an Irish festival if they're going on tour!

Must say Mad Cool headliners wouldn't do much for me - Taylor Swift, Twenty-One Pilots, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Diplo, Major Lazer, Faith No More wouldn't be my bag.

Credit where its due - the rest of the line up has some good stuff in there and the top tier acts, while not to my taste, will shift a lot of tickets, no question.

Hoping for something quite different for PS.

don't think Diplo/Major Lazer are headliners, they're on the Saturday which already has KoL and FNM co-headlining.
    Friday still has headliner(s) to be announced. The Strokes and Kendrick Lamar rumoured for it.

if PS isn't doing it for me, MC will definitely be a consideration (assuming the Glasto resale gods aren't kind).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have only been to Primavera once but love seeing the lineup when it comes out as it gives a decent idea of who will be around for the summer. Last years lineup was seriously below par IMO so will be interesting to see if they return to form this year.

Have only been to Primavera once but love seeing the lineup when it comes out as it gives a decent idea of who will be around for the summer. Last years lineup was seriously below par IMO so will be interesting to see if they return to form this year.

I wasn't mad on the headliners for the 2019 edition but thought the bill was stacked as you went through it. Would have had plenty to keep me busy if I had gone.

Planning a return in 2020 but its dependent on the line up so waiting with anticipation for any announcement.

Ten names announced today:
    Chromatics
    Bikini Kill
    Lorena Álvarez
    María del Mar Bonet
    La Favi
    Les Amazones d'Afriques
    Sudan Archives
    Park Hye Jin
    Mavis Staples
    Jenny Hval

Apparently they are gonna do 10 names per day (excluding weekends) via Primavera Radio and that it won't always be focused on headliners because they want to give smaller acts a boost.

Chromatics is a good one, Jenny Hval, Mavis Staples and Park Hye Jin too. Not familiar with the rest.

A poster on eFestivals has claimed Massive Attack are headlining too so that probably means Massive Attack, Lana del Ray, Tyler the Creator and Pavement as four of the bigger acts.

Edit: I didn't listen to the radio show, just trusting that eFestivals posters aren't lying!!

I wasn't mad on the headliners for the 2019 edition but thought the bill was stacked as you went through it. Would have had plenty to keep me busy if I had gone.

Planning a return in 2020 but its dependent on the line up so waiting with anticipation for any announcement.

yeah, the lower part of the bill was better. Were only really stuck for something to see on the saturday after the champions league but we had a great weekend of music all the same.

• Advertisement

yeah, the lower part of the bill was better. Were only really stuck for something to see on the saturday after the champions league but we had a great weekend of music all the same.

I'd have been in no condition for anything after the Champions League final. :D

eFestivals now reporting Kim Gordon for 2020 too. Not sure if they announced her or was she just played on the show, but she'd fit the bill anyway.

Same time tomorrow!

Four more added today:
    Yo La Tengo
    Nuria Graham
    Arthur Velocai
    Paloma Mami

Not much for me there. Apparently no more names until next week.

Not sure what the logic of this type of announcement is tbh.

Edit: Nuria Graham sounds cool, actually. But still...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I look forward to hearing some stuff I'd never have heard of before. E.g.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Arthur Verocai is a Brazilian composer, singer, and producer. He released a self-titled album of jazz-samba tracks in 1972. The album was largely ignored in Brazil when it was released, but achieved a cult-status beginning in the 2000s, with some original vinyl copies selling for £2,000.[1]

In 2009, he performed his 1972 album with a 30-piece orchestra at California State University's Luckman Theater in Los Angeles

Sounds interesting!

Over on e- festivals, strong rumours if Massive Attack, national, Joanna newsom and Beck. I'd be happy with those.

Over on e- festivals, strong rumours if Massive Attack, national, Joanna newsom and Beck. I'd be happy with those.

Going by there and Reddit, it's looking like:
    Massive Attack - Lana Del Ray - Tyler, the Creator - The National* - Beck - Pavement

Hadn't heard Joanna Newsom.

I think it's an OK selection. Massive Attack and the National are fairly regular on festival bills so even as a fan, it wouldn't necessarily be enough to convince you to travel but it'd be interesting.

I've not seen any festival bills anywhere that have appealed to me yet (though it is obviously very early in festival announcement season!)

Strange choice by PS to start trickling out names on their radio show and then to stop all of a sudden.

Edit: that * on the National was to remind me - at Best Kept Secret in the Netherlands, they're doing the 10th anniversary of High Violet. For their standalone shows in Ireland, there was no mention of same. I wonder will we get that - I recall when they played PS in 2018, they played a straightforward show but other festivals (one in Belgium anyway, I think?) got a Boxer anniversary show.

Going by there and Reddit, it's looking like:

Hadn't heard Joanna Newsom.

I think it's an OK selection. Massive Attack and the National are fairly regular on festival bills so even as a fan, it wouldn't necessarily be enough to convince you to travel but it'd be interesting.

I've not seen any festival bills anywhere that have appealed to me yet (though it is obviously very early in festival announcement season!)

Strange choice by PS to start trickling out names on their radio show and then to stop all of a sudden.

Edit: that * on the National was to remind me - at Best Kept Secret in the Netherlands, they're doing the 10th anniversary of High Violet. For their standalone shows in Ireland, there was no mention of same. I wonder will we get that - I recall when they played PS in 2018, they played a straightforward show but other festivals (one in Belgium anyway, I think?) got a Boxer anniversary show.

no other festivals had Boxer in full unfortunately.
    They played it in full at their own gig in Belgium in November 2017 to be recorded for the live album, and then again at their own Homecoming festival in April 2018.
    All other gigs/festivals in those years were just the standard setlist with tracks from Sleep Well Beast.

Very surprised that they'll take High Violet in full to a random European festival (although I haven't seen any mention of them actually playing it in full there, just "celebrating 10 years of....". Perhaps they're recording it for a live album too, although you'd think they'd have just done it in Ireland, or another standalone show rather than a festival.

They're playing it in full at their Homecoming event next year, as they did with Boxer.
    Quite strange that they haven't announced the Irish gigs as Boxer in full, if that's what they're going to be doing elsewhere.

no other festivals had Boxer in full unfortunately.
    They played it in full at their own gig in Belgium in November 2017 to be recorded for the live album, and then again at their own Homecoming festival in April 2018.
    All other gigs/festivals in those years were just the standard setlist with tracks from Sleep Well Beast.

Very surprised that they'll take High Violet in full to a random European festival (although I haven't seen any mention of them actually playing it in full there, just "celebrating 10 years of....". Perhaps they're recording it for a live album too, although you'd think they'd have just done it in Ireland, or another standalone show rather than a festival.

They're playing it in full at their Homecoming event next year, as they did with Boxer.
    Quite strange that they haven't announced the Irish gigs as Boxer in full, if that's what they're going to be doing elsewhere.

Best Kept Secret and Homecoming appear to be the only places they're doing High Violet in full (or in celebration), which seems a little odd.

But I'd also think it'd be strange if they were just moving on from the current album so quickly. They didn't exactly tour it extensively. Only one show in Ireland, for example. We typically get dozens!!

If the time was there, I'd like to see them do two shows - one High Violet and one new album - but I don't think the time is really there based on the other shows they've announced, unless they did one of the Wednesday shows, which isn't impossible but would be a little odd if they're also playing the Thursday for e.g.

They're in Ireland from the Saturday for a few consecutive days of gigs so you'd expect a day off on Thursday or Friday, leaving just the one day for a Primavera show really.

Anyway - I'm genuinely more interested in seeing what's on the under card now. Plenty of the acts I wanted appear to be at BBK or Mad Cool later in the summer (Whitney, Caribou, Angel Olsen just off the top of my head) so I'm curious to see what PS has lined up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have seen Beck a couple of times before. He puts on a great show and so many hits in his back catalogue that you forget about.

Les Savy Fav, Caroline Polachek, Die Katapult and Vagina Dentata Organ added this morning.

Not familiar with any of those tbh.

Also, Brockhampton announced a European tour which runs right up to Primevera and doesn't include any Barcelona date so safe enough to expect them to play too.

• Advertisement

Les Savy Fav are supposed to be great live. Caroline Polachek album got great reviews this year too.

Advertisement