Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And here's the first trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭brevity

I could only watch the first 15 seconds. I really want to go into this knowing as little as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I can tell from the concepts in the trailer that it's going to have a
    really clever ending

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This trailer focuses on only one of the main characters, to the near-exclusion of the others, so I expect we'll get trailers featuring the others too. Ditto for the poster:

49mlzyK.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So the time travelling forwards as his surroundings go backwards ... that's mad, might me Nolans biggest mindf*ck yet,
    also could be just reaching too far - even for Nolan.

But still , I can't wait for it ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

That car chase was filmed in Tallinn, Estonia, and according to some things I'm reading, the cars all appear to be from around 2010. Inception came out in 2010 ... hmm.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

brevity wrote: »
    I could only watch the first 15 seconds. I really want to go into this knowing as little as possible

May as well watch the trailer, fcuked if I know whats going on or what its about.

Reckon we both know the same amount at this point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

LGadd14 wrote: »
    Did you see this in Cineworld Dublin's IMAX screen by any chance? I asked them yesterday on Twitter if they were showing the prologue ahead of Rise of Skywalker and they didn't confirm nor deny.

Yes it was. So from the rest of the posts, I'm guess it's just the IMAX showings that are getting it?

What was in it? Well..

This is very rough, some elements of this are gonna be hazy from my memory and I'll probably miss bits but..

[The Intro]
    It began at a concert hall. It's curved in shape, felt more oval than circle.
    Somewhere Eastern European (possibly Ukraine) or Russia. Everyone speaking non-english.
    People can easily float in an out to their seats as there is no wall on the ground level.
    Then it's revealed to be because a metal looking mechanical wall drops from the ceiling after everyone has taken their seat.
    Dudes with guns (Terrorist Cliche) rush the stage and audience and take over.

[Snap to another location]
    We're inside a van outside the concert hall. A cop van. Two dudes dressed as cops speaking non-english.. say to wake (.. yes Wake..) the Americans.
    A bunch of dudes dressed as cops BUT missing their insignia badges are asleep in the back and begin to wake up.
    Cops insignia badges for these local cops are given out to them.
    SIRENs Approach. They wait for the other cop vans to arrive.
    [Snap to
    outside the van]
    The other cop vans are unloading large numbers of armed cops charging towards the concert hall. Our van bursts open and 'The Americans' burst out and easily blend into the charge as they are dressed just like all the other cops.

[Now
    back to the lowered mechanical wall]
    The actual cops start feeding in sleeping gas and prepare to breach. The Americans are holding just behind them.
    Some of the dudes with guns inside have gas masks and/or pass some (not enough) spares around to their buddies.
    The breach kicks off and the cops rush and a firefight begins.
    The Americans pare off continuing around the curved shape of the lowered mechanical wall

[Now in
    some upper balcony seats of the hall]
    Some important-dude sitting there. Looks civilian. Another military, takes out a gun.
    A seeming amount of not being concerned. My guess was they appeared to be behind glass on that balcony, maybe it was reinforced/bullet proof.

[Now in
    the back corridors leading to the upper balcony seats of the hall]
    The Americans push up the back corridor to the upper balcony seats. Shooting some dudes on the way up. Kicking in doors once they get up there.
    They get to important-dude balcony kiosk.
    Military guy is taken out. No bullet fired (hazy on this).

Conversation with important-dude. He's been made (so the implication I drew: he's a spy). This is his opportunity to get out. They make the alternative clear as he hesitates. This is his opportunity to get out or die... orders from their organisation, you understand etc. He decides to get out.
    They break windows of kiosk and toss down a rope and out our main American goes down the rope with important-dude

(memory hazy from this point on .. maybe .. or this is where wierd stuff happens .. not sure)

[Now in
    the lower main seats of the hall]
    (all sleeping audience is still here, Important-dude and American have landed sitting into empty chairs)
    The gunfight proceeds. Maybe explosives are being divied out. Important-dude moves but American tells him to stay down and fake sleep.
    He does.. but then I get hazy..
    We're in a corridor.. more hazy..
    American feels there's some betrayal by local cops contact.. more haze
    American back in the hall.. the explosives have timers.. something wierd is happening.
    He's upset the explosives are there.. do I remember the timer acting wierd?
    Someone mentioned not to worry:
    "They're in the cheap seats"

Terrorists dying, cops shooting, American asked question in foreign language but doesn't speak.
    American now made by cop asking the foreign questions.
    Bang foreign-questions-cop dead.. by some cop-but-different-dude in a darker almost motorcycle black-all-over helment (the cops have see-through visors, this dude's visor is all black)
    Black-visor-cop-gone..
    American joined by another in disguise.. they formulate plan to proceed:
    - don't trust local help anymore
    - don't use planned exit
    - don't let explosive kill everyone
    [
    Plan is go]
    They toss the explosive into balcony kiosk they came out of.
    The exit through breach in mechanical wall that the cops came in.
    Explosives go off and cause distraction.
    They get outside where there's no cops (hazy on this) hanging about. I guess they all charged.
    Into the Van.. local cops be like: Where's our dude?
    Scuffle.
    Americans win. Van drives off.
    Maybe some wierdness about time..
    Can't remember much happening after that.

and [TRAILER]
    pixelburp wrote: »
    And here's the first trailer:

I'm not sure that's the trailer I saw.. I thought what I saw had less information in in, had a different Elizabeth Debicki intro.. but it did have the silver car reassembling scene.

My guess... some kind of manipulation of time or causality.

Looking good already.

Can't think of another upcoming film that I'd like to see more in the cinema tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

Nice range of actors, especially some from Nolan’s previous movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Looks bonkers. I'm in! :D

🤪

Just noticed the music will be by Ludwig Göransson:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Göransson_discography

He's doing/done The Mandalorian:

Also some wonderings.. Possible spoilers..

I wonder why
    I can't remember seeing Aaron Taylor-Johnson yet he's top of the IMDB cast list:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6723592/fullcredits/

I wonder why
    the 'TENET' is going clockwise in a circle and the colour changes once per rotation
    on the website:
    https://www.tenetfilm.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Slydice wrote: »
    Also some wonderings.. Possible spoilers..

I wonder why
    I can't remember seeing Aaron Taylor-Johnson yet he's top of the IMDB cast list:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6723592/fullcredits/

Probably has a small or supporting role. IMDb have the cast list sorted according to who gets the most clicks.

Probably has a small or supporting role. IMDb have the cast list sorted according to who gets the most clicks.

He gets more clicks that Robert Pattinson?!?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

peteeeed wrote: »

$200m and the cast is full of relatively lesser known/presumably cheaper actors, so it must be everything else in the production costing that much. Plus Nolan's done some fantastic things in the past with smaller budgets. Looks like this is gonna be a fairly big spectacle, can't wait to see it

Arrival wrote: »
    $200m and the cast is full of relatively lesser known/presumably cheaper actors, so it must be everything else in the production costing that much. Plus Nolan's done some fantastic things in the past with smaller budgets. Looks like this is gonna be a fairly big spectacle, can't wait to see it

And before the marketing budget too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Arrival wrote: »

Nolan is possibly the most creative brain operating at a high level in Hollywood right now. Regardless of what anyone claims about Interstellar that film one of the most fascinating Sci fis of the decade.

Nolan is possibly the most creative brain operating at a high level in Hollywood right now. Regardless of what anyone claims about Interstellar that film one of the most fascinating Sci fis of the decade.

Agreed, I can't wait for this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Crikey that's a chunk of change alright. And, as has been said, you gotta then add advertising costs.

I saw the IMAX "Prologue" in the cinema and it looked amazing. There was a very good breakdown in the previous page. It was loud (VERY loud. I thought it was just me but heard people saying it too immediately after). It was loud and VERY Christopher Nolan. Very cool sequence without explaining diddly squat. (Which was great). I mean I'm a sucker for Nolan so I'm an easy target but this prologue was interesting, tense and meaty. It was very fast paced but never confusing. I mean obviously you don't exactly what's going on big-picture wise but that's OK.

Cannot wait for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

Listened to a podcast recently where Quentin tarantino explains why he thinks Dunkirk is a masterpiece. I'd have to agree with him, it gets better on repeated viewings. And I thought Interstellar was one of the best films I've ever seen so I cant wait for Tenet. I think Nolan is one of the few directors working at the moment whos films I really look forward to(and he always delivers).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Any rumours on how much of this will be in 70mm IMAX?

Think I’ll be booking a trip to London for this one

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Any rumours on how much of this will be in 70mm IMAX?

Think I’ll be booking a trip to London for this one

the BFI imax will be amazing , so the dark knight returns there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So any news on the release of this being delayed because of c19?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

I was wondering the same thing myself. Hopefully it'll still be released when it was originally intended. We'd need a good nolan film more than ever by then.

what are the chances of the cinemas being re-opened by July 16?

I'd love to say a good chance but it's probably less than 50:50

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

glasso wrote: »
    what are the chances of the cinemas being re-opened by July 16?

I'd love to say a good chance but it's probably less than 50:50

Cinemas may start reopening in July but social distancing measures would still be in effect. No studio is going to release a big budget blockbuster under those circumstances. But how long are they prepared to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I’d say any summer blockbusters are a no-go...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As far as I know, there has been no movement in the release date, so perhaps the studio are waiting til the 11th hour before pulling the plug. I know WB pushed back Wonder Woman the other day, so summer movies are beginning to move.

I can sorta see the rationale with Tenet though: July is still a few months away and there's a slim chance things may return to something resembling normalcy. If social distancing isn't a requirement anymore, the biggest cinema release could exceed projections based on a desperate audience.

That said, America seems to be lagging way behind in terms of testing & response so it's feasible that while the EU is over the "worst", America (and maybe the UK) start to really feel the worst of it. There are still a lot of unknowns.

• Advertisement

Cinemas may start reopening in July but social distancing measures would still be in effect. No studio is going to release a big budget blockbuster under those circumstances. But how long are they prepared to wait?

yes and there is also the worldwide aspect to take account of - highly unlikely to open if for example Ireland is open wrt cinemas but the UK, US isn't. even more so given that Ireland is a tiny market.

so could be waiting a while....

Advertisement