Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Got caught today, just wondering is the new system of tiered fines in place or is still just a flat 80e? Garda never mentioned he was fining me but he did ask was my address current so I assume it’s in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

It's still the one size fits all €80 quid and 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

tom23 wrote: »
    Passed a speed van in M3 today was overtaking a truck at 124 and seen the van and slowed down to to 120 just as I was coming up and past it.

I didn’t see a flash but do the vans still do that (flash the camera to get reg)? Sorry sounds a dumb question. a lot of speed vans on the M3 these days.

Speed vans operators do not decide anything.

The speed of every vehicle that passes is recorded. The person in the van purely sets it up and monitors that the equipment is working.

The full recorded file is sent to garda traffic in thurles and they then issue the fines.

In many cases they may allow xxkm leeway and that can vary depending on road conditions.

So 112km in a 100 zone on a bright dry day may not get a fine, but 108 on a wet day could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Ultimate question. Do you have to be pulled over or they can issue fine and post it ? Friend of mine was speeding on M3, passed a gard with hairdyer, but wasn't pulled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

depends on the equipment in use. He'll find out soon I guess.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    depends on the equipment in use. He'll find out soon I guess.

Keep it to yourself if you cannot help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭ Dante Future Skier

Carpentry wrote: »
    Keep it to yourself if you cannot help.

They are correct though, it depends on the equipment in use. You"r friend" should find out in a week or two.

They are correct though, it depends on the equipment in use. You"r friend" should find out in a week or two.

Gardai was holding dryer in his hand, he thinks there was no tripod there.

thanks for that, you can't help some people.

Isambard wrote: »
    thanks for that, you can't help some people.

you definitely cant, same with your every post.

• Advertisement

you definitely cant, same with your every post.

What do you want.
    He wasn't there to see which 'hair dryer's was in use.
    There are the old ones which require you to be pulled over (intercept) and the newer ones which take photos with the reg and this like a gosafe do not require you to be pulled over (non-intercept), neither of which require a tripod.

It'll depend on what speed he was doing over the limit at the time, maybe that information would help

Your friend will find out in a couple a days/weeks.
    With the information at hand nobody here could have given you any more useful information than you got in your first response.

Killinator wrote: »
    What do you want.
    He wasn't there to see which 'hair dryer's was in use.
    There are the old ones which require you to be pulled over (intercept) and the newer ones which take photos with the reg and this like a gosafe do not require you to be pulled over (non-intercept), neither of which require a tripod.

It'll depend on what speed he was doing over the limit at the time, maybe that information would help

Your friend will find out in a couple a days/weeks.
    With the information at hand nobody here could have given you any more useful information than you got in your first response.

Now that's a proper answer, Thank You !

As for the speed, limit was 120 km/h on M3, he was doing about 160-180 km/h

It wasn't myself so I don't have all the info in hand.

Your post was helpful, the other fella was only being smart, it not the first time he is getting smart with people asking for help. That's why I have pointed it out.

Your post was helpful, the other fella was only being smart, it not the first time he is getting smart with people asking for help. That's why I have pointed it out.

If he was doing 160/180 he can assume he'll be getting a letter in the post.
    If it was an old speed gun they'd have gone after him and stopped him at that speed so can only assume it was a new one and there was no need to pull him.

There's a big difference between doing 160kmph and 180kmph but if he was on the higher end he's lucky he wasn't stopped and arrested for dangerous driving. A quick look at the Garda traffic Twitter feed would show precedent for this speed resulting in a court date.

The only alternative and I've had it happen, your friend gets lucky and the Garda was using an old gun and couldn't get the laser tracked to the car but even then that speeding would be visible and likely result in getting pulled over.

total rubbish, it's exactly what I said. Depending on the equipment being used he will either get a ticket or he won't .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭whizbang

Can be up to 2 months before issue, so dont count finding out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

A friend of mine thinks he was caught by a GoSafe van last night. He was accelerating in a 60 km/h zone that leads to a 100 km/h zone and got to about 80 km/h before seeing the van and hitting the brakes. He reckons he was about 50 metres from the van when he saw it, and there was another car in the inside lane between him and the van. There was no flash from the back of the van.

What sort of distance do you need to be from the van to be caught? And how quickly do the fines get sent out?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭acdublin

Just got a 3 points for doing 109kmph on the M50. I feel hard done by! I know I was over the limit but 9% over on a Motorway and 3 points feels excessively harsh. It was a dry day. Any point appealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

acdublin wrote: »
    Just got a 3 points for doing 109kmph on the M50. I feel hard done by! I know I was over the limit but 9% over on a Motorway and 3 points feels excessively harsh. It was a dry day. Any point appealing?

I'm not sure about appealing, but can I ask, how long did it take the letter to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭acdublin

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about appealing, but can I ask, how long did it take the letter to arrive?

About a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Same here, 129km on a motorway with at 120km speed limit.
    I just accepted them, I didn't see the point in appealing, speeding is speeding. I now use the speed limiter button in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Any point appealing?

You'd need grounds to appeal, and proof of those grounds, which are laid out in the notice.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Fixed-Charge-Notices/Cancelling-Fixed-Charge-Notices.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Same here, 129km on a motorway with at 120km speed limit.
    I just accepted them, I didn't see the point in appealing, speeding is speeding. I now use the speed limiter button in the car.

Similar enough, got caught doing 89 on a dry afternoon between Enfield and Kilcock that's now 80 but used to be 100 prior to the M4 toll. Ridiculous limit on that stretch of road all in an attempt to "encourage" hard pressed driver pay the toll but more annoyed with the 3 points than the fine when such crazy things as "Driving a vehicle on a motorway against the flow of traffic" only gets 2 points or "Driving on a footpath" only 1 point.

First ticket in over 10 years of driving and disappointed that in 2020 the process can't be completed online. Can only pay non-penalty point FCNs online and still need to post the Declaration form to Co. Clare. Guess the €80 fine isn't enough and a €1 stamp is also part and parcel along with the manual input required in receiving and processing the physical form once received.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aston martin

Not sure why the GoSafe van cameras tread closed
    Bladespin

"It is an independent calibration, they wouldn't be UKAS accredited if they were taking shortcuts like that - you would not get away with it even once.
    Many companies own calibration labs that operate independently from the parent company."

its a Fact : AGD radars do calbratation on Redflex box in the back of the GO SSAFE VAN which contains AGD radars.

AGD calibrate their own radars which is not independent ..

What happens if AGD find their radars (Two AGD radars in the Redflex box ) have not been working properly for last 9 months and 1,250 motorist have got penalty points incorrectly ..

Be interested on your thoughts you know its different because they will louse millions in claims if they find their own radars failure ,

If there is no problem with the calibration why hide the calibration company issue:::::: ?

You have a Garda force , who did 2 million fake breath tests (ha ha), tried to finish a honest Garda off that was telling the truth ...(unbelievable)

Probably cost 35 million of your tax payers money...

And nobody fired ,nobody convicted all on pensions with pay offs .....

Be interesting to see would the Garda go public with a Go Safe problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cooley05

Anyone know how long it takes to get to court currently if you don’t pay the FCPN? Just wondering with covid is there a large backlog of getting to court. E.g if the 56 days expires on the 1st December what is a likely date to end up in court?

I heard no court cases at the moment , unless serious crime

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I believe I was caught doing 132km in a 120km almost 3 weeks ago (Friday 9th October). Is there any delay in being set out the fine/points with Covid at the minute? Hoping as it's 3 weeks ago I may have got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭theintern

Even pre Covid it could take a good few weeks. Unfortunately you're not out of the woods yet.

was the police car stoped and then came after her, or were they driving behind her

you'r entitled to see all evidence they have.... sometimes they are winging it

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

was the police car stoped and then came after her, or were they driving behind her

you'r entitled to see all evidence they have.... sometimes they are winging it

If you're on about me it was a speed van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Hi all, I got my first speeding ticket today, the garda told me to expect the fine in the post but im just wondering about points, is it a standard 3 penalty points? And will my insurance remium increase much? thanks

Advertisement