Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The last Board Game you played

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mispell

I got just got my copy of the Tainted Grail with all the expansions, had our first game last night - really enjoyed it. Looking forward to opening the expansions next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Mispell wrote: »
    I got just got my copy of the Tainted Grail with all the expansions, had our first game last night - really enjoyed it. Looking forward to opening the expansions next.
    It's on my list to get. Looks great and also has solo play as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

It's on my list to get. Looks great and also has solo play as well .

2 weeks ago finished 5th Chapter. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Carpe Diem on yucata.de last night.First boardgame game I won in a while on yucata.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

After 2 years on shelf finally played Hand of Fate Ordeals. Great game.

This Friday starting campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mispell

The Bloody Inn - great game, especially with all the family. Kids loved it, not sure what that says, to be honest :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Playing a decent bit of Jaws Of The Lion recently, an unusual break from solo gaming for me. Very enjoyable so far, glad the girlfriend took to it so well.
    Just finished setting up D-Day At Omaha Beach now though, a quick break then I'll crack into it later, probably be still playing it by the weekend. I think its great to have a good tactical game set up with no time limit to finish it, come and go as you please.

Space Base. More a card game than a board game, but good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

That third module was Crescendo of Doom. SL stopped after the fourth module GI: Anvil of Victory, although some people are still playing it. Advanced Squad Leader was a ground up rebuild. It's still very much a thing and has expanded to include the Western Desert and Pacific theatre. The ASL core modules cover the Eastern Front, U.S. paratroop operations in Normandy, partisan actions, the U.S. army in Tunisia, Italy and Northern Europe, the British in the Med, North Africa and Northern Europe, the Italians, other Axis members, minor allies, the French, the Finns, the Chinese, Japanese and USMC. There are also "HASL" modules (H for historical), usually with rules for a campaign game and historically accurate instead of generic maps e.g. the Barrikady gun factory, Arnhem, Tarawa, etc.

Glory to Rome. Won with a stacked vault when the deck ran out.

• Advertisement

Tonight we finished with Spartacus. Batiatus scored 4 points to win, Glaber, my board, would have won next phase. Tight, tense game

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Are Digital boardgame discussions permitted?

Our group has moved online since the pandemic started, mainly playing digital versions of games that would've taken a decent amount of setup/ pack up time.

This was Scythe for a good while, which was great. Last night we played Blood Rage which was brilliant.

Due to 5 person player limit, we split in to two 3 person games.

Well worth giving it a go and a much better digital adaptation than other asmodee titles such as Small World.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Digital is totally permitted.

I've tried the Scythe adaption myself, it's very good, and is great for learning the game as well.

It makes it a lot easier to know what's permitted on your turn and what's against the rules. There's a lot to learn though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Introduced the missus to HeroQuest, with the re-release arriving at my door after a year and a half of waiting on the Hasbro pulse campaign (i.e. their version of kickstarter). The resculpted miniatures are nicely detailed and the dungeon furniture & doors are all plastic instead of a mix of plastic & cardboard like the original 1990 release. Got a lot of stretch-goal extras (dice, minis, campaign books), and two of the original expansion packs. So, so, so many minis to paint ...

Hasbro/Avalon Hill have also released a companion app for your phone/tablet that takes the place of the DM so you can either play solo or play alongside your friends. It works rather well and is a nice addition.

Digging the nostalgia trip and the other half has enjoyed the game thus far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Played a bunch of games over the Christmas and New Year period, was great. Got in a good few games of Wingspan, to the point that I actually know how to set it up and explain it without constantly looking for basic clarifications in the rulebook, a game of Machi Koro, in which I found out that café owners are total d**ks, and a few games of Splendor, always good.

Also got Junior Catan, and Ticket to Ride First Journeys, both games I'd heartily recommend for kids. We played a few games with my kids, then left them to play on their own with their cousins. It was incredible to see them just playing away without any need for us to intervene or tell them what to do. Catan is probably the better of the two, and was easier for the kids to pick up.

Mainly kids games over the last few months.

Dragomino is good fun, simple to learn and as the kids get more comfortable with the basics there's a lot of scope for more advanced strategies like hate drafting.

Happy Salmons from exploding kittens is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Simple, frantic and funny to play or watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 freiteg

Under Falling Skies, still trying to get a win in :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Scrabble, and draughts, but the latter was against the computer, which I beat far too quickly.

Post edited by recode the site on

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

In the last month. Wingspan, terraforming Mars, pax Viking, rising sun, and some more smaller games

really love Mars and wingspan.

• Advertisement

Have played a load of Splendor over the Christmas period, but also played a load of Spyfall, which was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

War of the ring and hunt fir the ring over the last two months or so.

Much preferred War of the Ring but it could have been who I played with. Lost as Mordor and the non-nice humans.

the good guys have a Deep South east gambit that we were unprepared for and they won when it looked like we were going to blue them away in the north east and west Gondor.

they made a feint at angband thst we fell for. Tremendously enjoyable game

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ericbarker306

I’ve been enjoying Overcooked 2 lately 

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Chess against another human in 2013. I lost

Advertisement