Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Snooker YouTube Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

How many times i watch it, i never tire of that higgins yellow in the final frame against hendry, the slow roll and the raucous crowd almost roaring it into the pocket. For a technically nothing shot, i think it might well be one of my favourites of all time!

Yeah, everybody loved goffs, i recall late night sessions in the hotel down the road, name escapes me now, where a few of the players used to stay. It was a big tournament, last chance to get your competitive juices flowing before sheffield, but it was a place you could enjoy yourself too, away from the regular jaunt around those dreary north of England towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How many times i watch it, i never tire of that higgins yellow in the final frame against hendry, the slow roll and the raucous crowd almost roaring it into the pocket. For a technically nothing shot, i think it might well be one of my favourites of all time!

Yeah, everybody loved goffs, i recall late night sessions in the hotel down the road, name escapes me now, where a few of the players used to stay. It was a big tournament, last chance to get your competitive juices flowing before sheffield, but it was a place you could enjoy yourself too, away from the regular jaunt around those dreary north of England towns.

Its great stuff and a lovely speech by Higgins after complimenting Hendry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The Nal wrote: »
    Its great stuff and a lovely speech by Higgins after complimenting Hendry.

Love it. And with the great John Pulman in the commentary box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

My neighbor worked for (I think it was Gallaghers) who made Benson and Hedges, he used to have tickets for every night of the week. Id say i was at about 3 or 4 nights of snooker a week.
    I was only about 10 or 11 so spent alot of time walking around the place - but i do remember seeing some class matches.

Great memories of that place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It is due to have a seniors event if it wasn't for Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ding v a 13 yo Yan Bingtao back in 2013

I did not know what to expect, and kind of assumed 13 yo Yan was in for a whitewash.

@2:09 Yan's first shot break off - OK break off - Ding missed long red
    @3:13 Yan's second shot an unrushed planned out safety to baulk - leaves long red which is missed by Ding.
    @3:00 Yan's third shot lays a wonderful 'long range' snooker behind the yellow with perfect judgement of pace and angles. Cue Ball started near black cushion.

By that third shot I was saying a few Jayus's.

Yan did not seem like a normal 13 year old snooker player that is for sure.
    Born with that snooker brain? Cue action looked really solid even then. Plus seemed very composed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just watched the first frame .... Jesus he was like a robot. No emotion, completely focused and composed.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Just watched the first frame .... Jesus he was like a robot. No emotion, completely focused and composed.

Exactly, it completely threw me. I was expecting to see a young Yan full of nerves. Rushing shots etc. Dodgy cue action.

But he was like a veteran in terms of composure. Cue action solid (Hendry's was dodgy around that age for example). But Yan took his time, no rush thought out the shots. Plus he is only 20 now. Seems like he could be around a long while.

It is no wonder Yan managed to win all those matches on last frame deciders in the Masters. Mark J. Williams levels of composure I think. Just born with it.

Now he goes for his shots more. Which is a lethal mix, tactics, composure and potting. I will be looking forward to see how Yan does in the next world championship.

This one is more of a tongue in cheek snooker one.

Muarry Walker (Former F1 Commentator) given the chance to commentate on snooker on Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM21esJpyys

Higgins/White just won the World Doubles and Higgins had a 'double orange juice' one to many lol

• Advertisement

fran38 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM21esJpyys

Higgins/White just won the World Doubles and Higgins had a 'double orange juice' one to many lol

Haha they are even mirroring each other with the legs crossed - kindred spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I think even dickie davis was a bit surprised at the impromptu dance. Couple of 'sniffles' from Jimmy too.

Not as funny as the last video posted. But here is one with Hendry interviewed about what a high performance sportsman means to him. And what he did to get there.

Big misses in snooker history

(good bit of frame is given as well to provide context)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

never seen this before or anything every coming close to it, mad

Someone created a compilation of bizarre Ronnie O'Sullivan snooker related behaviour or situations he was involved in.

Some of it is not what I would describe as bizarre, some misguided etc.

However, I did find the incident around @ 2:08 eh 'gas' :D
    Everyone in the arena and commentator cracking up.

This one is an eye opener - 2 cushion break off from Alex Higgins in 1981

The 'Mark Williams break off' will have to be renamed.

He was obviously trying to tame that flamboyant play of Terry Griffiths?

Bit of a left field one this is. Steve Davis telling a 'snooker heaven' joke during an exhibition.

Snooker exhibition spin shots compilation featuring Jimmy White, Alex Higgins, Stephen Lee, and Judd Trump.

• Advertisement

10 richest snooker players from 1990 - 2020 (done in a gradual timeline video)

One that surprised me was Dennis Taylor he was doing well for himself in the top 10 for a long time. He could well afford those glasses/goggles!

This must be one of the earliest colour matches available, in decent broadcast quality. From 1971 Ray Reardon and John Spencer in their prime. Ray knocks in a 127 in the first frame, showing what a good player he was.

Funnily enough the match takes place in Sheffield, at the end of April and is sponsored by a fag company. But its in a club and not the Crucible.

The tournament was known as the Park Drive 600, Park Drive being a brand of fags, and Ray gets the 600 quid at the end.

Post edited by Arthur Daley on

That is great stuff, a real throwback. I was thinking if you take away the colour and did not know the players. You would not know if it was in the 1930's or 1970's.

Loved the different expectations of the crowd and commentator. Verus today's expectations and style of play.

The audible gasp of shock from the crowd when Reardon rifled in the opening red. And later the commentator assuming that Reardon would play safe rather than cutting in the black!

Short one with Ronnie about Match Fixing. "Went for a walk in a forest" 😀 "Didn't want to disappoint him.. Nah mate, sorry I can't do it" 😂

For the day that is in it 15 year old Zhao 2012.

Was watching this one last night,, A bit long and some of the dates (the Ken v Matthew Stevens match) are incorrect,,,

A few missed 147 attempts on it for the day/days that's in it,, Haven't got quite as far along in their attempts this year, but a couple of the last blacks on this were sitters

doesn't have Willie's missed blue on it - copyright apparently

This is England - Granada documentary on snooker 1978

Features a confident and aspiring World Snooker Champion - John Virgo. Virgo believes he can be World Champ.

But was recently knocked out by 65 year old, Fred Davis.

However, Virgo is convinced if he sorts out his own temperament issues, it is only a matter of time until he becomes world champion.

Great footage of an early visit to the Crucible in 1978. I quite liked the family car choices for Virgo and the Silver fox.

I think it is gas. A different world. Even the thick cloths had me laughing. Lots of good bits in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Konny Rool

A professor discussing the physics of that fabled "Impossible Dump Shot"

Couldn't make head nor tail of them diagrams or theorems/algorithms - whatever they are 😃

Advertisement