Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

i'm very sad tonight, had to bring my beloved Pipa in to be put asleep tonight. she was a beautiful german shepard, 13yrs of age. i'm going to really miss her. we brought her to the vets two weeks ago as she couldn't walk, so we discovered that all her muscles were deteriorating so he gave her tablets saying they might work and that she could be around for a longer time if they do she was also loosing alot of weight, so my hopes were really up this week and she was back to her normal self full of joy unfortunately the weight wasn't going up tho.

sadly i came home this evening and she couldn't move again so i rang the vet straight away. i explained the situation to him and she actually didn't put on weight, but i thought as she was just getting better it might take a little longer for the weight to be right. so he examined her and discovered that she'd two large cancer masts near her kidneys and the reason for her weight lose was that her kidneys had failed. i was so upset thinking how did the other vet not spot these cancer mast as he showed me where they were and i felt them. visibly you wouldn't notice at all but by touch examining you would. so in the end he said the best thing is to put her asleep she's in too much pain and with the cancer so larger and because of her age. i was so devastated, really going to miss her, but i'm happy in that she's not in pain anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Jinxycat,Binka and all the others who recently lost their pets,I'm sorry to hear about it and know how sad it is.
    Almost a year since Zoe died and I still miss her.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Brandy, my dog and first pet, died today. she lived to nearly 12. I had her for more than half my life and loved her. it was only when I asked my dad what he was going to do with her corpse and he said "I'm digging the hole" that it really sank in. I know it's a cliché to say a dog is a mans best friend, but in this case it is perfectly true. Goodbye Brandy, you will be sorely missed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Some of you know that my wife and I have been foster parents for kittens for a local rescue organisation. Anyway we had a kitten a few weeks old who came in to us. He was underweight and had been taken away from his mother too soon. It took lots of time and patience to get him social with other cats in our house, get him eating the right food and up the correct weight. He was in great shape and we were happy with his progress. We thought all was well when he was ready to leave us for a new family.

I used to drop into the adoption center to make sure he was well and after a week or so noticed that his bones were starting to stick out again, worse than in the shape we had gotten him. We decided to bring him home and try to bring him back to health and told the rescue group that we give Teddy a home as we thought he was special needs. He always had trouble eating so we think that a combination of been taken away from his mother too soon, being underdeveloped and getting too attached to us was too much for him. Things took a turn for the worst yesterday when he looked very tired and couldn't hold his head up. We brought him to a vet who were about to close and couldn't do anything.

The next morning someone from the rescue organisation took him to see someone and about an hour ago we heard the news that he had passed away. It was coccidia and Teddy had little or no immune system as he was a very small cat so he couldn't fight back. He was such great company for me as I work from home and great fun to be around. The picture below is Teddy in his finest hour. RIP Teddy, you will be missed. :(

416348870619084614194245_070703_13R.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Today we found our beloved Norwegian Forrest cat Isselin Dagrun. She was missing since yesterday and this morning I found her on my neigbours driveway, behind their gate and their Great Dane was sitting next to the body. He had killed her.

I was so upset. I run around screaming and crying. I could have killed that dog. He isn't a nice dog anyway. The neighbours can't handle him. He never gets anywhere and now this. And what did the neighbours wife say? gosh sorry. That was all. No sympathy, no words of regret. Nothing.

I'm now sure their dog also killed our little Tripple a few months ago. She was a three legged kitten and suddenly she was missing.

We put all our other cats straight away in the cattery with our boarding cats. This weekend we will build a big run onto the hous so that our cats can go in and out safely. No more freely roaming all the land and enjoy the space and outdoor living.

We bought this cottage and all the land to protect our cats from getting killed on the road, and then one gets killed by a dog. how ironic.

Last year we had 12 cats. Now we're down to five.

Our departed pets:

Spud, 13 years, throat cancer
    Mimi, 24 years, old age
    Wooster, 3 years, kidney failure
    Dixie, 3 years, kidney failure
    Squidget, Spuds mum, 14 years, liver failure
    Isselin Dagrun, 7 years, killed by Zorro.
    Tripple, 8 months, missing

I hope they are all in Rainbow Bridge, waiting for me.
    Love you all and miss you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

How awful for you to have found your cat in this way. They will be waiting for you, I do believe that.

RIP pets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm very sad to have to say that Molly our Basset Hound passed away during the night.She was nearly 12 and I suppose thinking about she has been getting 'old' for the last while.It's almost exactly a year after Zoe died.
    She had a happy life taking it easy as Bassets do...was as stubborn as a mule when she wanted to be,but a loveable slob !

Bye Bye Moll,off to meet up with Zoe at Rainbow Bridge.

995093775_2275e71457.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So sorry to hear of your sad losses Ruu, Mjffey & CrowdedHouse.

Tis never easy to lose a loved pet.

I lost one of my marmosets on Saturday & I still feel a bit numb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

My Greyhound passed away a short while ago. Here is my tribute page:

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/roman

medium.jpg

Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Old Wicksey died this morning aged 14 years. A true pal. She was the most placid dog, we even used to joke that she was a Buddist.

We'll miss you dearly old wicks R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

3 of my russian dwarf hamsters have died in the last week, and 4 have died in the last month.

I didn't mind it too much when the first one died as he was old, but the 3 recent deaths were all due to some kind of illness that must have passed between them. I've only one hamster left and the poor little guy has been sanitised up to his gills. If I lose him and have all my hamsters wiped out, I'll be gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

My dad unknowingly rolled over my dog after giving me a lift up to my friends house last week and I'm absolutely devastated.When I was young my mother was told she could never have another baby so we bought a dog and he was like a brother to me for 11 years.He went missing when he was 6 for two weeks but miraculously was found by someone who read our add in the paper.Then a year ago he was hit by a relative's car visiting our house and suffered from arthiritis ever since.His health has been worsening since that and I've been told his death last week may have eased his pain but it's no comfort.It's tearing me apart:(

R.I.P Sparky

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I had to put my fella down this morning, he was a 16 (last Saturday) year old scottish terrier.
    I knew this would come some day but all I want to do now is get sick, my head is in shreds, my stomach feels on fire and I just feel now that I have murdered him.
    The vet said his heart was under pressure and it was only fair but it was my call.

I don;t know what to do, no one here at work understands what I am going through now and laughed when I told them where I was.

Christ, I think I am going to crumble :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

This is tigger , he died yesterday morning.
    He was 2 and a half , we also have his sister and 2 other females , he was such a chilled out cat ,we miss him so much :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am sorry for your loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

chasing cars got the better of him

man i miss him

he was a ****zu (S H I T Z U) though we had to cut his hair short as he lived in the mud puddles lol

and he hada babys dummy HE stole it from my lil niece and it never left his side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Penny took her final trip to Vet last week, for 18 years she was a joy to me and the rest of the family, so sad she's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Working in a vets, you come across people losing their pets every day. Most of the time you can be professional, 9/10 the pets are old or very sick and in great pain, so it's a kind of release.

But every once in awhile there is one doggie, who gets under your skin, you see him so often, walking around as if he owns the place. Always so happy and wagging his tail. Coming in for check ups and getting groomed but always kinda saying hello to me first by coming over to me and looking up at me as if to say, yep that time again!. And then the day comes when he comes in for his last visit. You try to say something comforting but all you can do is try to be professional and stop yourself turing to mush as he takes his last little breath. You look at the owners with tears in your eyes and just give them a caring smile. They have done the right thing for their little man.

But the right thing isn't always easy to do.

Scribbles, I'm gonna miss seeing you around.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I've been meaning to post this picture for ages. Here are two pics of our old dog Benji who went missing last december and we think he fell into the flooded quarry behind us. :( poor Benji - we miss you and hope you didn't suffer. Just wish we knew what happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

my poor little dog Simba was put to sleep in UCD last night at 6.21pm
    He went for a heart scan 10 weeks ago and they said his heart was perfect.
    but he died of heart failure.He didn't get to have his yorkshire pudding yesterday
    which he loves:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Emmett Gray Smallpox

Sleep tight Tigger, our new additions to the family are running riot through the house, but dare they touch your shrine..

Always remembered buddy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 anastacia

hi my pet dog is missing since christmas day this year 2007,she went missing around northside shopping centre area,she is a little yorkshire terrier brown and black in colour her name is twinkle and my two little boys are absolutely heartbroken over her,she is a little gem,so loveable and always playing with my children,very friendly indeed she is 1 year old,i have put up ads everywhere,this is my last hope .if anyone has seen her please contact me with info at my email address:mccannedel@yahoo.ie,i would really appericate it,my two little boys would be so happy to be reunited with her.thankyou to all that answer..x

ps:im sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but im new to this.thankyou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

My French Bulldog, Froggy was killed by a farmer who ran her over and didn't stop.... He saw me and left me there in the middle of nowhere with my 19 month toddler and dying dog..... I heard her scream!

I always said Froggy was my first born, she was full of life and always happy.

Still miss her so badly!!

Froggy R.I.P
    10/02/2002 - 24/01/2007

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Beautiful photos of Froggy. Sorry that you're still hurting but it's understandable. I'm sure Froggy is still full of the joys and smiling down on you from a safer place.

They never leave our hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I remember when I was around 9, my best friends cat died and their whole family was gutted for days. I never really understood it, why people could have such emotions just for an animal, but I truely believe why now, and I feel for everyone here that's lost their beloved pet.
    Our family cat died last night... We've had him 18 years (a very good innings, thats for sure), and he only really came ill the past month or so. Old age got the better of the little fella.
    I'm sad, but it won't really hit in until the house is quiet... thats usually when he'd seek you out, or I'd seek him out for company. To be honest, I'm more sad for my parents, as they really loved and cared for him in the later years when all us kids flew from the nest.
    Have a lovely long sleep Ginger. You were the most amazing pet any family could wish for.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

With the Blue Cross Clinic last night. The vet had to put two dogs to sleep. One was very old, much loved and in lots of pain. The other was a young pup someone found, emaciated by parvo virus. My first time directly experiencing the death of anything. Both were very upsetting.

It's a very stress-free and peaceful way to go. It was the best thing for both of them. Just wish the pub had someone to cry over him like the old dog did :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Heres a website i made for our Harry. We had him cremated and have his ashes in a nice little casket

http://www.bacardicat.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

The very sorely missed Samson

Samson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

Susie, my little marmalade/ginger cat, died suddenly, right in front of me, on Jan 9th, last. I have no problem admitting, that I spent 4 sad days grieving over her demise. Yeah, she was 11 years old, but she was never sick, and she totally ruled over this house. As well as having tons of "Cat-itude" she was originally brought here from France, so she also had that certain French , cavalier haughtiness about her too. She only ever ate Kit-E-Kat salmon or chicken, anything else was just so beneath her. I once offered her some Lidl cat grub...eh...no way would she touch it!!! But, admittedly, she was also a bould' little divil for the chocolate and crisps!!! She had a built-in Radar that could detect a Milk Tray sweet, or the rustle of a sneaky Tayto bag, from a mile off!!!

The day Susie died, started like any other. She had her breakfast of Chicken in jelly, but she could'nt seem to settle into her mid-morning routine after it. Then at 11.10 am, she sorta' did a long spitty thing, and she tried to run under the TV table. Then, she lay in front of the fire, really happily, and fell asleep. Or, so I thought. She was actually about 10mins dead, before it dawned on me, she had'nt moved a whisker in ages. My neighbour very kindly buried Susie for me, as I just was'nt up to it, what between all the sobs and the tears and the snots. She now resposes peacefully, right beside the Wild birdie food table.

I still hear the sound of the bell around her neck, I still check that I'm not sitting on top of her on the couch, and I still feel her head butting me, in the bed.
    Seriously, the sense of grief and loss after the death of a much-loved pet, is HUGE!!!

I grieved so much, that I actually got told about "Pet Bereavement Councellors", from friends and family, trying to console me, after Susie.

Next week, I am going to officially adopt, two little abandoned, very young Ginger kitties, called Harry and Doris, a brother and sister, from the local animal rescue. They'll NEVER replace Susie, but, they can help with the healing process. They come neutered, de-flea-ed, wormed, and Micro-chipped, toilet (well...kitty litter) trained, and they cost about E300 between them, as a well-earned Donation to the people who have looked after them.

Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

ALL Dunnes Stores shops, are currently selling off all it's stock, of fab Pet thingys, for virtually nothing!!! Gorgeous...."SCHNUGG" quality label, dog/cat beds, toys, carriers, blankets, scratching-posts, EVERYTHING for your pets, including certain flea/worm treatments, have been reduced to cents. For example...a super, warm, cosy... LARGE DOG bed, down from E40 (in December!!) is now selling for only E6, in D/S Henry St, yesterday. Other, super stuff, was sold off, for between 20/25 Cent, down from E20,E10, E5, in our local D/S Blessington. I bought a huge heap of great, really massive Pet stuff, for less than a Tenner, coz' our local, brililiant Pet Rescue Centre, has it's yearly Appeal on, and they'll be delighted with it.

Go look. Probably, it's all mostly sold by now, but, give it a try, anyway.

Advertisement