Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Real life people Fr Ted characters were based on.

• 03-12-2020 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭

Not so much the main regular four, Ted, Dougal, Jack and Mrs Doyle but a lot of the one off guests and recurring supporting characters. Bishop Brennan is clearly inspired by Eamon Casey. Niamh Connolly the feminist singer is based on Sinead O Connor and Eoin Maclove is clearly Wee Daniel. I'm curious about who Harry Sellers was based on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not so much the main regular four, Ted, Dougal, Jack and Mrs Doyle but a lot of the one off guests and recurring supporting characters. Bishop Brennan is clearly inspired by Eamon Casey. Niamh Connolly the feminist singer is based on Sinead O Connor and Eoin Maclove is clearly Wee Daniel. I'm curious about who Harry Sellers was based on.

Henry Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Graham Norton pretty much played himself as Noel Furlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Henry Kelly

He must have been fond of the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Richard Wilson from the episode "The Mainland" is based on Victor Meldrew.
    There is only one appropriate response to this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Richard Wilson from the episode "The Mainland" is based on Victor Meldrew.
    There is only one appropriate response to this comment.

I cannot accept that to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Father Billy O'Dwyer a.k.a. The SpinMaster = Brian D'Arcy??

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Mrs Doyle is pretty much every rural housewife born in the 40/50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Many of the real side characters are the best ones imo, reflecting often seen characters in Ireland. Such as the overtly racist oul one, or Fr. Stones father who viewed his priest son as a complete disappointment, or the rich farmers in the sheep episode. Loved the bit about the priest with Larry Duff held up because he was running guns for the IRA

The John and Mary couple was a simple stereotype for pre divorce Ireland but worked well too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

We willl never see the genius of this again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Niamh connolly was also partly based on Dolores O'Riordan I always thought.
    Was the female writer who Ted fell in love with based on anybody i wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bishop Brennan is an Eamonn Casey/Archbishop John Charles McQuaid mash up.

Dermot Morgans pre Ted Fr Trendy was a thinly disguised parody of Fr Bryan Darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Two I wonder about:

Fr. Fintan Stack, (Brendan Grace)

And of course, Pat Mustard.

I did the visit the house a few years ago & had the tea....which was served by a girl who was one of the Hairy Babies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bishop brennan isnt based on eamon casey , he could be based on any hypocritical man of the cloth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    bishop brennan isnt based on eamon casey , he could be based on any hypocritical man of the cloth

He is overtly based on Casey. The videotape of him and his girlfriend (not at there was a tape of Casey). The voice, which is exactly what Casey sounded like.

Philipx wrote: »
    I did the visit the house a few years ago & had the tea....which was served by a girl who was one of the Hairy Babies :D

Thats what she told you and you believed her?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Niamh connolly was also partly based on Dolores O'Riordan I always thought.
    Was the female writer who Ted fell in love with based on anybody i wonder?

Yeah, she had the look of Dolores and the attitude of Sinead O'Connor.

As for the writer, Marian Keyes maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He is overtly based on Casey. The videotape of him and his girlfriend (not at there was a tape of Casey). The voice, which is exactly what Casey sounded like.

yeah plus the video tape shows the secret son in America which was exactly based on Bishop Casey

I wonder was Father Jesop based on anyone, he was a kind of bishops enforcer

Cant think that Pat Mustard was based on anyone apart from the milkman sleeping around stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah plus the video tape shows the secret son in America which was exactly based on Bishop Casey

I wonder was Father Jesop based on anyone, he was a kind of bishops enforcer

Cant think that Pat Mustard was based on anyone apart from the milkman sleeping around stereotype.

Think Pat Mustard was based on Sony Knowles. He looked like him even...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭KevRossi

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Think Pat Mustard was based on Sony Knowles. He looked like him even...

Graham Linehan based him on a fella Roddy Doyle knew from Darndale called George Burgess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

KevRossi wrote: »
    Graham Linehan based him on a fella Roddy Doyle knew from Darndale called George Burgess.

George Burgess was a character in the Commitments as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

DellyBelly wrote: »
    George Burgess was a character in the Commitments as well...

Jimmy Rabbitte was in the Commitments too, and rabbits followed Fr. Jack....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Philipx wrote: »
    Two I wonder about:

Fr. Fintan Stack, (Brendan Grace)

And of course, Pat Mustard.

You can visit the house and have tea !! ?

I went there around 2005/06 and took a photo at the gate, but it was a private residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Who is Father Stone based on?
    My favourite scene...:pac:

''I'm having a ba-ath''...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I went there around 2005/06 and took a photo at the gate, but it was a private residence.

It's open during Ted Fest. Took a visit last year. Heart dropped when I walked in the door and it was completely different to what you see in the show. Then I realised that I knew that already and that I'm a feckin eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah the owners of the house do tea and cakes during tourist season. They opened it up for that Father Ted documentary Small, Far Away screened a couple of years ago and yeah of course its nothing like the set that was in a studio in London anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If you ring to make an appointment, you can call in for tea. I had coffee.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

I've never seen this confirmed, but the upstairs of the parochial house bears a remarkable resemblance to the upstairs of Fawlty Towers. Have a look sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t enjoy Clare Grogan in the Sinead/Dolores role. Her Irish accent is shockin’ and that’s especially a problem in a show filled with natural Irish accents. I think Linehan wanted her on the show because she was a teenage crush of his but he should have gone with a different actress. It’s a shame because the character is really well-written.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The female solicitor that slapped Ted for being sexist and condescending is based on every woman that has had the good fortune to work alongside me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The WW2 mad priest with the nazi war criminal hidden in his house was a sly nod to the Vatican's support for the nazi regime during the war.

Advertisement