Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

Thats me wrote: »
    I have no doubts if somebody would enforce wearing masks with no reason many people would raise. But while this is not the case i see no reason to be worried in advance.

The evidence of the past 9 months suggests otherwise. It suggests that hardly anyone would protest against it. Most people have gone along with all of Anthony's rubbish since March. Anthony could decide they're needed for the flu.

robinph wrote: »
    "Required everywhere"

You sure about that?

New Zealand has lifted most restrictions, but brought some back in for Auckland recently by the looks of it. Almost like they are changing the rules to fit with what is required at the time, and when they are not required they are no longer a requirement to be worn.

Wonder if anywhere else might do the same thing?

https://covid19.govt.nz/health-and-wellbeing/protect-yourself-and-others/wear-a-face-covering/

In Thailand, South Korea, Vietnam, and Taiwan they're compulsory everywhere. This is despite COVID being statistically insignificant in those countries.

And it's frightening that New Zealand is insisting on masks over one or two cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Caraibh wrote: »
    Biggest health crisis? You mean the one and two case a day raging pandemic Ireland just about survived in the summer?

I want a country to come out and say that masks will be a thing of the past post vaccine. The only Health Minister to have said that masks will soon be no more is the Turkish Minister of Health.

We moved on from the summer. We are now into December. Cases have increased from the one or two a day we had in the summer. 18 deaths reported the other day and you're still playing it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

The evidence of the past 9 months suggests otherwise. It suggests that hardly anyone would protest against it. Most people have gone along with all of Anthony's rubbish since March. Anthony could decide they're needed for the flu.

Past 9 months there was (and still) a good reason for wearing masks. Strange you didn't notice it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

When the vaccine is coming then why we have to put masks all the time? I am feeling breathing issues due to these masks.

• Advertisement

We moved on from the summer. We are now into December. Cases have increased from the one or two a day we had in the summer. 18 deaths reported the other day and you're still playing it down?

The COVID related deaths? In other words, tested positive, or not, and put down as a COVID death even if they died of something else. How many people die every day in Ireland every day? I'm trying to find out. Is 18 deaths an unusually high number? And how many of that number died in October and November?

Was the one and two cases a day pandemic in the summer a pandemic?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In Thailand, South Korea, Vietnam, and Taiwan they're compulsory everywhere. This is despite COVID being statistically insignificant in those countries.

And it's frightening that New Zealand is insisting on masks over one or two cases.

You are frightened that one city in New Zealand has switched back and forth a couple of times between having laws regarding mask wearing on busses brought in and then cancelled?

Where is the conspiracy here? What are you afraid of?

So some countries have decided to keep more widespread mask wearing in place despite what are seemingly low case numbers compared to what we have seen in Europe. Could that be part of the reason that they have low case numbers by any chance? You do know that the virus is still out there right, and as seen in most countries in Europe case numbers can easily start to ramp up again quite quickly and the vaccine isn't yet out or being administered to the worldwide population.

Maybe when one of the few things you have available as a defence against the virus is the wearing of masks it might be a good idea to keep the use of masks high until a vaccine comes along?

Past 9 months there was (and still) a good reason for wearing masks. Strange you didn't notice it ;)

They appear to have made no difference in Peru, Spain, the Philippines, the US (where 85% of people say they wear them every day), France and Italy.

There is no justification for mandate masks in the Asian countries I mentioned. If mandates are henceforth going to be justified on 'better safe than sorry' then anything and everything can be mandated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You need to read up on what the definition of a pandemic is as it's got nothing to do with the number of cases in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The alleged pandemic is over in several Asian countries and yet masks are still required everywhere. Now, there are of course cultural differences to consider, but there'll still there as a constant reminder of the Orwell boot in the face prediction.

So the guy in France doesn't know, which means they could be permanent. I don't particularly care about France, or even like the country, but since they all seem to be copying each other if they stay there then they'll stay everywhere in the West.

This is not an alleged pandemic. This is a pandemic. It is still in progress.
    The measures will be there unless a country is covid free with strong restrictions on travel OR herd immunity with vaccines is reached.

France could be about to invade the UK to return them to the EU.
    The guy in France didn't come out and say that either.
    Is this the level of evidence you have?

It isn't even anything to do with masks.
    Have they said social distancing will go also?

Without something solid to suggest there are plans to continue with masks once the crisis is over, asking loaded questions "well they haven't said they won't" is just a non-story. It's just stirring the pot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

You are frightened that one city in New Zealand has switched back and forth a couple of times between having laws regarding mask wearing on busses brought in and then cancelled?

Where is the conspiracy here? What are you afraid of?

So some countries have decided to keep more widespread mask wearing in place despite what are seemingly low case numbers compared to what we have seen in Europe. Could that be part of the reason that they have low case numbers by any chance? You do know that the virus is still out there right, and as seen in most countries in Europe case numbers can easily start to ramp up again quite quickly and the vaccine isn't yet out or being administered to the worldwide population.

Maybe when one of the few things you have available as a defence against the virus is the wearing of masks it might be a good idea to keep the use of masks high until a vaccine comes along?

If those countries get rid of masks post vaccine then I'll have no reason to worry. The fact that they haven't when COVID is more or less gone from those countries suggests to me that the only reason they haven't is because they want to control people.

I am feeling breathing issues due to these masks.

Chose mask which fits your face more tightly. The less air will be preserved inside the less extra CO2 you will inhale. Vaccine will not magically remove the need in masks - it will take months until 60-70% of population get immune.

You need to read up on what the definition of a pandemic is as it's got nothing to do with the number of cases in Ireland.

But I'm asking specifically about what was being called a pandemic in Ireland in the summer. Was it, based on the 1 and 2 cases a day total, a pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

If those countries get rid of masks post vaccine then I'll have no reason to worry. The fact that they haven't when COVID is more or less gone from those countries suggests to me that the only reason they haven't is because they want to control people.

Not this nonsense again please. How do you control people with wearing a masks? Are masks coming with remote control or something?

The COVID related deaths? In other words, tested positive, or not, and put down as a COVID death even if they died of something else. How many people die every day in Ireland every day? I'm trying to find out. Is 18 deaths an unusually high number? And how many of that number died in October and November?

You should probably look up the word pandemic. I'll do it for a you, a disease occuring worldwide.

The first of December we had 18 deaths due to covid. With 15 of them from November. But ignore those 15 deaths because you will anyways. To fcuk with them.

This pandemic just showed up the selfishness of people and you're one of them.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Not this nonsense again please. How do you control people with wearing a masks? Are masks coming with remote control or something?

No, they have chips in the middle layer of masks.

There is no justification for mandate masks in the Asian countries I mentioned.

Probably they have not need it because Asians are less often demonstrating antisocial behaviour and just wearing masks as recommended.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This is not an alleged pandemic. This is a pandemic. It is still in progress.
    The measures will be there unless a country is covid free with strong restrictions on travel OR herd immunity with vaccines is reached.

France could be about to invade the UK to return them to the EU.
    The guy in France didn't come out and say that either.
    Is this the level of evidence you have?

It isn't even anything to do with masks.
    Have they said social distancing will go also?

Without something solid to suggest there are plans to continue with masks once the crisis is over, asking loaded questions "well they haven't said they won't" is just a non-story. It's just stirring the pot.

Is it a pandemic in Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and New Zealand?

Taiwan is COVID free, yet still has mandatory masks.

The statement "we don't know whether masks and social distancing will be required post vaccine" is solid evidence, in my opinion.

Probably they have not need it because Asians are less often demonstrating antisocial behaviour and just wearing masks as recommended.

But they're not recommended, they're mandatory. That's the point I'm making.

But I'm asking specifically about what was being called a pandemic in Ireland in the summer. Was it, based on the 1 and 2 cases a day total, a pandemic?

It's impossible to have a pandemic just in Ireland, or any other individual country, that is not what a pandemic is.

It's possible for an individual country to avoid being affected by a pandemic, or to iradicate it from their territory, but that doesn't stop it being a pandemic if it is still spreading freely in other countries.

• Advertisement

No, they have chips in the middle layer of masks.

I'd add covid-sensor activating small portion of C4 inside mask when virus detected...

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Well, you've raised an interesting point - should we have been wearing masks all along rather than having needles stuck into us on a yearly basis ?

According to one HSE doctor, there was a noticeable diminution in summer flus and colds this year in the UK, plus we've had anecdotal reports here on boards of the positive benefits of mask wearing by hay fever sufferers.

Mask wearing may very well be here to stay indeed, even on a voluntary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it a pandemic in Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and New Zealand?
    Taiwan is COVID free, yet still has mandatory masks.
    The statement "we don't know whether masks and social distancing will be required post vaccine" is solid evidence, in my opinion.

Yes that's what countries do when a global pandemic is in progress and at any moment someone can step off a plane or boat and infect un-vaccinated members of your population. Either you have to have very strict quarantine measures actually enforced, and\or retain some measures to limit the virus.

Your evidence is one line in a press conference, spoken when there was\is uncertainty about the effectiveness of vaccines in terms of reducing symptoms, blocking transmission, and whether the most vulnerable would be able to take an effective vaccine.
    That's how I would read that statement.
    So it is not solid evidence of anything.

As I said, this is a non-story at the moment.

And to compare a mask worn to protect people from a virus, to an Orwellian boot? Big Brother would hardly like people to so easily obscure their identity. So it's both utter nonsense and wrong in the context used.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sconsey

But they're not recommended, they're mandatory. That's the point I'm making.

You are talking nonsense on this thread and even worse shyte on the vaccine thread, with an account less than three days old. Stinks of some that probably got banned.

I'll give the 'ignore' button a try.

Sconsey wrote: »
    You are talking nonsense on this thread and even worse shyte on the vaccine thread, with an account less than three days old. Stinks of some that probably got banned.

I'll give the 'ignore' button a try.

Nonsense because I disagree with you? We're entitled to have an opinion. It's a discussion forum. I'll probably end up getting thread banned because the pattern here seems to be that when somebody wants to get a person thread banned they shout 'conspiracy theorist' or insult the person because they disagree with them, i.e. "shyte".

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yes that's what countries do when a global pandemic is in progress and at any moment someone can step off a plane or boat and infect un-vaccinated members of your population. Either you have to have very strict quarantine measures actually enforced, and\or retain some measures to limit the virus.

Your evidence is one line in a press conference, spoken when there was\is uncertainty about the effectiveness of vaccines in terms of reducing symptoms, blocking transmission, and whether the most vulnerable would be able to take an effective vaccine.
    That's how I would read that statement.
    So it is not solid evidence of anything.

As I said, this is a non-story at the moment.

And to compare a mask worn to protect people from a virus, to an Orwellian boot? Big Brother would hardly like people to so easily obscure their identity. So it's both utter nonsense and wrong in the context used.

At the moment. I agree. My point is that there is no evidence to suggest that they'll ever be got rid of. If a country that has gone more than 200 days without a case still has them then that suggests to me that they'll never be got rid of.

At the moment. I agree. My point is that there is no evidence to suggest that they'll ever be got rid of. If a country that has gone more than 200 days without a case still has them then that suggests to me that they'll never be got rid of.

The pandemic is still around worldwide. There is not widespread vaccinations happening. People are dying every day. People are still catching the virus. People are still spreading the virus.

What is strange in that situation about various countries still having certain restrictions in place to try to ensure that they remain virus free?

Where is the evidence that masks are here to stay? Show us the historical proof of this happening before.

What are the reasons for governments wanting to enforce permanent mask wearing?
    Why are countries around the world of all political persuasions following the same set of guidelines?
    Why has there been no leak from any government worldwide about this big conspiracy to enforce the worlds population to start wearing masks? Who is running this conspiracy and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nonsense because I disagree with you? We're entitled to have an opinion. It's a discussion forum. I'll probably end up getting thread banned because the pattern here seems to be that when somebody wants to get a person thread banned they shout 'conspiracy theorist' or insult the person because they disagree with them, i.e. "shyte".

Again?

:)

The pandemic is still around worldwide. There is not widespread vaccinations happening. People are dying every day. People are still catching the virus. People are still spreading the virus.

What is strange in that situation about various countries still having certain restrictions in place to try to ensure that they remain virus free?

Where is the evidence that masks are here to stay? Show us the historical proof of this happening before.

What are the reasons for governments wanting to enforce permanent mask wearing?
    Why are countries around the world of all political persuasions following the same set of guidelines?
    Why has there been no leak from any government worldwide about this big conspiracy to enforce the worlds population to start wearing masks? Who is running this conspiracy and why?

But the virus is gone from Taiwan. They've gone over 200 days without a case. Close to be year, and yet they're still mandatory. Why wouldn't it be the same in this part of the world post vaccine? Indeed, people are beginning to shift from "vaccine, back to normal" to "masks and distancing necessary indefinitely post vaccinations". The neverending moving goalposts.

The evidence, but not proof, which is important to say, is a country going almost a year with no cases, i.e. Taiwan, still having mandatory mask wearing in place. Further evidence is countries where COVID-19 is statistically insignificant still having mandatory mask wearing in place. Where's the evidence that they aren't permanent? The only Health Minister to have spoken of masks being a thing of the past is the Turkish Minister of Health. So there is evidence that they'll be a thing of the past in Turkey.

It's not really possible to compare the Spanish Flu, for example, with COVID-19 because the world then and the world now is so different. Crucially, there was no social media back then. Social media dictates social policy in the West. So if enough Irish people on Twitter object to masks being got rid of then they probably won't be.

If I answer your other questions in detail then I'll be accused of being a conspiracy theorist. But the answer is the World Economic Forum. That's all I'll say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If I answer your other questions in detail then I'll be accused of being a conspiracy theorist. But the answer is the World Economic Forum. That's all I'll say.

Sorry the World Economic Forum wants people to wear masks. :confused:

I mean lots of questions there, but we will start with Why?

Advertisement