Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Lads ye should have a go on a few of the Irish classic car groups on facebook, plenty lads on there will debate ya about what's a classic and what's not, they'll even debate you on wind farms and such :pac:

This probably isn't a classic, maybe it is, maybe a future classic? I dunno, but it sure is a cheap banger

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-wt-i-just-passed-nct/26687336

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Cheensbo wrote: »
    This probably isn't a classic, maybe it is, maybe a future classic? I dunno, but it sure is a cheap banger

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-wt-i-just-passed-nct/26687336
    Great find for somebody on a shoestring budget. Weekend away sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Wife is in the market for a 1.6-2.0 SUV (dislike that term intensely) with a budget of €3k, hadn’t really considered the X3, think they’re a bit chavvy

Not a bad consideration for bangernomics but i always thought the panel design looked brutal and the interior dash / center console looks really dated now. All that black and beige plastic. No for me these yokes haven't aged well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A friend is looking for a cheap small engine runaround with lots of interior space - she has a big dog :)

What are your thoughts regarding Mercedes A class. Seem to be a few around that look value for money but are they a nightmare if they go wrong ?

She would consider a van but they seem poorer value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Not a bad consideration for bangernomics but i always thought the panel design looked brutal and the interior dash / center console looks really dated now. All that black and beige plastic. No for me these yokes haven't aged well at all.
    Bought this today. Didn’t get it for banger money but we did manage to negotiate a healthy discount on it. https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26672946

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Discodog wrote: »
    A friend is looking for a cheap small engine runaround with lots of interior space - she has a big dog :)

What are your thoughts regarding Mercedes A class. Seem to be a few around that look value for money but are they a nightmare if they go wrong ?

Estate or hatch would be an option.

Skoda Octavia or superb
    Renault Laguna or megane estate
    Ford Mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Estate or hatch would be an option.

Skoda Octavia or superb
    Renault Laguna or megane estate
    Ford Mondeo

Poster said small engine

Poster said small engine
    Octavia and Mondeo (and probably several others) can be had with 1ltr engine.
    How much smaller would you like?
    Might not get the 1 litre for banger money (nor would you want one) but the 1.2 and 1.4 Octavia should be out there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Poster said small engine

Whats a small engine?

Merc A Class comes in 1.5 petrol

Volvo v50 1.6d has plenty of space, well built, reliable enough and decent looks and styling

Not gonna set the world on fire performance wise, can get a decent 08 for under 2k with the cheap tax

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭3d4life

Poster said small engine

Honda Fit / Jazz has a lot of space in the back if 'magic seats' are positioned in the horizontal

( bit of a come down from a Merc tho' )

• Advertisement

3d4life wrote: »
    Honda Fit / Jazz has a lot of space in the back if 'magic seats' are positioned in the horizontal

I am taking her to look at a local Xsara Picasso 2006 & €600.

3d4life wrote: »

But a hell of a lot more reliable and useable.

Watch out for any engine warning lights and If you have access to an OBD2 reader (ask your friends if they have one that they could lend you) its a good idea to bring one along and check for any fault codes

The electrics are the weak point with this generation of Citroens, as well as water ingress, so check the carpets and footwells and boot (check spare wheel well for water too) for any damp or wet carpets, easy enough to check and definitely worth doing because water getting into the cabin could cause electrical shorts and all kinds of nasty surprises that are very expensive to repair (and not really worth it at this price range)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it's the one for €650 in Galway, ignore the bit that says that it has 0 previous owners; it has 2 previous owners.
    Also, be aware it could be a possible lemon.

Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on: 05/11/2020

If they're trying to flip it after a month, I'd wonder on why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-ignis-4x4-nct-tax/26702554

ZTFiZDMyZWI3YzJhNDkxNjRlODA5YTU0MTliZjlmNzODKSsGF7fH7p1yHWaH6TfJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQzNjM0NDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

4x4 Suzuki Ignis with NCT til August 2021 and a bit of recent work done, €850

Interesting little car for the money.

the_syco wrote: »
    If it's the one for €650 in Galway, ignore the bit that says that it has 0 previous owners; it has 2 previous owners.
    Also, be aware it could be a possible lemon.

Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on: 05/11/2020

If they're trying to flip it after a month, I'd wonder on why.

That's interesting because they imply that it's a car that they have owned. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

My folks had an A Class and I never liked it. It was expensive to fix and it did present problems. That said it lasted something like 16 years before being hit by a passing Pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-ignis-4x4-nct-tax/26702554

4x4 Suzuki Ignis with NCT til August 2021 and a bit of recent work done, €850

Interesting little car for the money.

Set of winter tyres on that and it would be unstoppable in the snow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My wife had one of those, drove it to France... Hated every second of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

That sounds horrific but as a second car to use as a winter hack, it'd be fine. Much like a Panda 4x4

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I had 5 people in a Micra and 2 grown labs in the boot many times, the Octavia suited much better though as boot was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NCT is out in December, and they've only had it a month. Tax is out in January.

Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on: 29/10/2020

Throw the reg into https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeOwnership.do to see if it was transferred in the last 3 months.

Why would a dealer sell this without getting it NCT'd unless there was something wrong with it ? Surely an NCT would increase the sales price ?

https://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/cr-v/honda-crv-2-0/22256085

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Why would a dealer sell this without getting it NCT'd unless there was something wrong with it ? Surely an NCT would increase the sales price ?

"SOLD AS IS FOR PARTS OR REPAIR OR EXPORT" Definately something major wrong with it. It's not being sold as a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I dont know, the arse has really fallen out of stuff like that. Would it be worth €950 with a new NCT? Hardly worth the bother considering it'd take an eternity to sell either way.

17 years old, 2.0 petrol on the old tax system and a dreery yoke all round, there's really nothing going for it other than the badge on the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

They would've made their money on the sale of another car and accepted the trade in to complete said sale.

Export cars are usually rust buckets where they can be shipped off to countries without any road testing. Probably still drives but would be an economical write off.

Useful in a country that sees proper snowfall about once a decade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Totally agree, France really is the pits.

That Suzuki Ignis 4x4 is a cracker, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Easier sell it as is with no NCT as a parts/export car for a dealer, Hassle of getting it NCT'd and then someone coming along expecting a bumper to bumper warranty on a €800/€900 car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement