Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morning Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Yeah I like Aine.

I wonder how the bould Mary will get on, now that she has to share the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Delighted to hear Aine Lawlor back on Morning Ireland earlier today.

Superb interviewer, she is superior to many of her colleagues in RTE. She sounds authoritative, knowledgeable, intelligent and in-charge of an interview. She sounds concerned and involved about the issue being discussed (eg Leaving Cert results debacle.) She knows how to pursue an evasive interviewee.

Imagine what a dynamic radio programme RTE would have had if they had given her the Today programme instead of Claire Byrne?

I firmly maintain that Claire Byrne will NOT work out in the Today slot.

With you on that ,dude, Lalor ,however , needs to make sure she applies that hostile approach to the lefties and the Shinners.

I hold my judgement till I see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

With you on that ,dude, Lalor ,however , needs to make sure she applies that hostile approach to the lefties and the Shinners.

I hold my judgement till I see that.

The problem is in the phrase "hostile approach". Interviewers should be on top of their brief (she is) and not be rude (as she has been now with ministers two days in a row). I suspect Dobson was moved because he didn't fit the aggressive, hectoring style MI appears to need. Similarly, David McCullough (a superb broadcaster) is not settling well into the News because he is clearly unhappy at asking questions he knows the interviewee
    can't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Aine Lawlor wasn't very hostile to Paschal Donohoe's plamás when she interviewed him for her last News at 1 show recently. Fair enough that he'd acknowledge her last show (although it's not like she was retiring)...but it was like listening to the Oliver Callan version of Paschal. Aine lapped it up...how he made her blush...really cringey stuff.

crossman47 wrote: »
    The problem is in the phrase "hostile approach". Interviewers should be on top of their brief (she is) and not be rude (as she has been now with ministers two days in a row). I suspect Dobson was moved because he didn't fit the aggressive, hectoring style MI appears to need. Similarly, David McCullough (a superb broadcaster) is not settling well into the News because he is clearly unhappy at asking questions he knows the interviewee
    can't answer.

Well what I really meant to get across is that interviewers should adopt a similar approach to interviewing all politicians.

It’s struck me that govt parties get a hard grilling (rightly so) from some interviewers and yet the same interviewers give a ‘vanilla ‘ like interview to opposition... all palsy walsy name checking each other and not holding them to account on anything.

I would agree that David McCullough appears uncomfortable and a bit wooden on the evening news, but quite honestly I never liked his style and repertoire of facial and eyebrow gymnastics.

But that’s only my view .

Doesn’t appear too happy in the role

• Advertisement

A Social Media Influencer course at an Irish educational institution...struggling for the words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Her royal smugness is presenting Morning Ireland now? I thought she had retired?

Try to keep up Ger..... all this discussed months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Morning Ireland went all out on the coverage of the match tonight. Very good to get the view from Slovakia, although I am sure they could have found a sports journalist rather than someone from the Slovakian embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stream (via app, tuneIn etc) for RTE1 seems to be intermittently dropping traffic for the last few weeks. I suspect they're red lining at peak. Anyone else? The stutter is fierce frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

ED E wrote: »
    Stream (via app, tuneIn etc) for RTE1 seems to be intermittently dropping traffic for the last few weeks. I suspect they're red lining at peak. Anyone else? The stutter is fierce frustrating.

Yes, last couple of days on Tune In.

Turned on this morning and the Great Interruptor was talking all over one of the guests as usual.

With the audio dropping out, it seemed to go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Poor again today. When MI ends its fine as everyone tunes out.

Very soft interview with MLMCD on MI this morning.

Allowed to waffle on....

Very soft interview with MLMCD on MI this morning.

Allowed to waffle on....

It's amazing how Mary Lou can say so much but say almost nothing at the same time.

Same waffle, but Shane Coleman on Newstalk at least tried a bit harder to tackle Pearse Doherty on the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

I was a seminar and Mary Lou was on the panel, maybe 10/12 years ago, women in politics/media, that kind of thing. In reply to a question, she spoke fluently for about 15 minutes with minimal pauses and very skillfully blocked every effort when the interviewer tried to get a word in (change of tone, change of tack, personal story, and saying 'it has to be said and I think the audience will be interested in this experience' etc). Said very little of substance but not an um or ahh of any kind. Great media training wherever they are getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"Whatever you say, say nothing." The oldest trick in the book, but takes craft and experience to do it well.

"Whatever you say, say nothing." The oldest trick in the book, but takes craft and experience to do it well.

Correct Jose, and make sure to get at least three ‘namechecks’ in the first two or three minutes.

I notice all the Shinners have the “don’t (dare) interrupt me” card well practiced.

MaryLou
    O’Reilly
    Doherty
    Carty

That and keep talking through the flack like a prop forward pumping the legs going for the line.

The ploy being that even if nobody can hear you, They can’t hear anyone else either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

MI had an interview on this https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2020/1202/1181934-lotto-south-africa/ this morning. Almost seemed to agree there was something fishy. No one on to make the point that the odds against any given set of numbers are very long and are the same for all sets (in sequence or otherwise). The interviewer clearly never studied statistics.

Excellent interview between Audrey Carville and Norma Foley on MI this morning.

No hectoring, no ‘flash-banging’ no implication in the questioning of ‘blame’, just good incisive questioning to elicit information for the listener which is the way it should happen.

Others would do well to study Ms Carville’s style .In fairness Ms Foley came across well,too, seemed much more confident and assured.

I’ll leave it at that , purely a radio subject.

Another “Respond back” from Paschal on MI this morning !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Jesus. Listening to a segment this morning and it seemed to be a parade of "Executive Directors" of Charities working with sex offenders in Ireland. The charity industry must be one of the largest employers of senior executives in the country at this point.

Aine Lawlor gave Martin Collins of Pavee Point the most ridiculously soft, joke of an 'interview' this morning on the Carrick on Shannon funeral/gathering this week. In fairness to Collins, he was clear on the need to abide with the restrictions. But not one probing or difficult follow up question on why they're just being largely ignored at Traveller funerals...she just set Collins up for his dream answer to the question of "are you worried that this will lead to stigmatisation?"

Now I live very near a church and plenty in the settled community are back now gathering (outside) for funerals, but they're aren't (if reports are true) hundreds descending on a town and setting up a fcuking marquee for a couple of days. The incredibly overrated Lawlor was soon back in her element having the banter with the guy about his lost eagle.

Anyway, I shouldn't be so concerned as I'm sure Tubridy, Byrne, Duffy or Maura & Daithi on Drivetime will ask the difficult questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Tonight Show on Virgin Media with Matt Cooper had quite a long feature on the restrictions at funerals yesterday with not a mention of events in Longford there either. Avoided by all of the mainstream media it would appear. You would have to go to the Longford Leader Twitter feee to find any reference to the event

Cole wrote: »
    Aine Lawlor gave Martin Collins of Pavee Point the most ridiculously soft, joke of an 'interview' this morning on the Carrick on Shannon funeral/gathering this week. In fairness to Collins, he was clear on the need to abide with the restrictions. But not one probing or difficult follow up question on why they're just being largely ignored at Traveller funerals...she just set Collins up for his dream answer to the question of "are you worried that this will lead to stigmatisation?"

Now I live very near a church and plenty in the settled community are back now gathering (outside) for funerals, but they're aren't (if reports are true) hundreds descending on a town and setting up a fcuking marquee for a couple of days. The incredibly overrated Lawlor was soon back in her element having the banter with the guy about his lost eagle.

Anyway, I shouldn't be so concerned as I'm sure Tubridy, Byrne, Duffy or Maura & Daithi on Drivetime will ask the difficult questions.

Only if they are members of the ruling parties Mr Cole, everyone else gets the vanilla treatment.

I noticed in Pavee Points ‘resume’ on Twitter mentions “supporting Travellers rights”. No mention of Responsibilities........hmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Aine Lawlor was painfully WOKE years before it even existed

and those sombre deferential tones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭gifted

Heard that interview this morning and my first thought was the same.....Very soft interview.

Just listening to a piece on the rise in covid numbers and they shoehorned in a voxpop on "play dates"...that just means kids mixing and playing ffs doesn't it? I've heard NPHET using that term at their press conferences too.

The voxpop was done in south county Dublin...maybe that played a part in why it was repeated so often.

Just listening to a piece on the rise in covid numbers and they shoehorned in a voxpop on "play dates"...that just means kids mixing and playing ffs doesn't it? I've heard NPHET using that term at their press conferences too.

The voxpop was done in south county Dublin...maybe that played a part in why it was repeated so often.

Apart from that on Samantha Libreri goin mad on the ‘Nooze, which annoys me intensely and the HSE tracer lady starting every, I say again, e v e r y, sentence with ‘So’.

A play date I think is an ‘official invitation’ to another child’s house to play, not a random meeting of children out on the green or on the road.

The voxpop was done by Aonghus Cox in SoCoDu whose mother Valerie never strayed too far from North Wicklow SoCoDu for similar reportage, before ‘taking the lump’

;)

A play date I think is an ‘official invitation’ to another child’s house to play, not a random meeting of children out on the green or on the road.

It must be a generational thing. It was always pretty random in my day...never remember any need for negotiation or invitation to get us all together so we could go a bit mad. Obviously they can't do that at the moment but "play date" just sounds so sterile (and a bit pretentious tbh).

• Advertisement

Apart from that on Samantha Libreri goin mad on the ‘Nooze, which annoys me intensely and the HSE tracer lady starting every, I say again, e v e r y, sentence with ‘So’.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1457854/rte-blasted-for-pronunciation-style-guide-which-demands-broadcasters-speak-on-air-using-queens-english/

Take note of the professor's comments on "nooze";)

Advertisement