Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Alien Worlds season 1
    Applying the laws of life on Earth to the rest of the galaxy, this series blends science fact and fiction to imagine alien life on other planets.

Ari Eldjárn: Pardon My Icelandic
    In this English-language special, Icelandic comedian Ari Eldjárn pokes fun at Nordic rivalries, Hollywood's take on Thor, the whims of toddlers and more.

Fierce (polish)
    A gifted young singer becomes an instant sensation on a popular talent show. But her real goal is earning the love of her father, a member of the jury.

Hazel Brugger: Tropical
    In this stand-up special, comedian Hazel Brugger offers her breezy takes on unruly geese, chatty gynecologists, German bank loans and more.

Once Again (Koreon)
    Back at square one as divorcees, four siblings take another shot at love and dreams -- after mustering up the courage to convince their parents first.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Watched Jingle Jangle last night, poor and not even remotely Christmassy. The songs are completely forgettable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Watched Jingle Jangle last night, poor and not even remotely Christmassy. The songs are completely forgettable.

I thought the songs were alright but they all felt like individual songs and not like they were part of the story. There didn't seem to be any continuity between them, like you should have in a musical.

I thought the songs were alright but they all felt like individual songs and not like they were part of the story. There didn't seem to be any continuity between them, like you should have in a musical.

They were fine I suppose but I think I'm still hung up on how unnecessary the Christmas setting was, like it really played no part at all. I was expecting a Christmas musical and what I got was a musical set at Christmas but really had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The Prom is getting pretty mixed reviews. Due to be released on the 11th but I'll probably wait a week or two as it feels like it would tick a lot of my Christmas viewing boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is there any way to change the settings so that you don't have to press yes to watch another episode after watching 3 episodes of a series. Always the same as can't find the remote and searching high and low. (I know obvious thing is to put remote on coffee table but where would the fun in that be).

Not much use to you if you don't watch on chrome/desktop but I highly recommend the chrome plugin Neverending Netflix which has several options one of which is to auto-click the play next episode button. The only option I use is the auto-click skip opening titles button which is great.

They were fine I suppose but I think I'm still hung up on how unnecessary the Christmas setting was, like it really played no part at all. I was expecting a Christmas musical and what I got was a musical set at Christmas but really had nothing to do with it.

I find that's the case with an awful lot of recent American made "Christmas" films though. They have very little to do with Christmas. Most of them could take place at any time of the year and be exactly the same film.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The Prom is getting pretty mixed reviews. Due to be released on the 11th but I'll probably wait a week or two as it feels like it would tick a lot of my Christmas viewing boxes.

I've seen mostly good reviews. The stage version was very well received on Broadway so hopefully it's transferred well. I don't like Ryan Murphy when he does TV, and I'm not a fan of his casting choices for some of the main adult characters, but I'm still looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That describes pretty much all the movies on those Christmas movie channels like True Christmas. The exec can come home at any time of year and meet her highschool boyfriend.
    But if I admit that, then I might have to admit Die hard isn't a Christmas movie either and that's not going to happen. :)

Speaking of auto playing the next episode I watched Netflix on my tablet for the first time in a couple weeks last night and when one episode ended I was surprised when it instantly started the next episode. Didn't even have the usual 5 second countdown. And when the last episode was done it only had a few second countdown before it would start playing the random trailer they usually have lined up.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That describes pretty much all the movies on those Christmas movie channels like True Christmas. The exec can come home at any time of year and meet her highschool boyfriend.
    But if I admit that, then I might have to admit Die hard isn't a Christmas movie either and that's not going to happen. :)

Hallmark and the likes make non Christmas romance films all year round. It seems like they pick a few at random to throw a few Christmas trees on set and add something festive to the title and air them in December.
    To be fair, I watched Dash & Lily last week and with a few minor tweaks it could probably have taken place at any other time of the year too, but visually they went all out and had a lot of New York at Christmas in it, so I'll buy it as a Christmas show.

• Advertisement

I find that's the case with an awful lot of recent American made "Christmas" films though. They have very little to do with Christmas. Most of them could take place at any time of the year and be exactly the same film.

This is a fair point but I feel Jingle Jangle could have made more effort bar having a some snow and I think one character says Merry Christmas twice, it wouldn't have been that hard given it's about an estranged family, perfect reason to pile on the schmultz. Anyway even that aside I still wasn't a fan. It's no Muppets Christmas Carol that's for sure.

And btw Die Hard is definitely a Christmas film and is way more Christmassy than Jingle Jangle, it has Christmas music at least :D

This is a fair point but I feel Jingle Jangle could have made more effort bar having a some snow and I think one character says Merry Christmas twice, it wouldn't have been that hard given it's about an estranged family, perfect reason to pile on the schmultz. Anyway even that aside I still wasn't a fan. It's no Muppets Christmas Carol that's for sure.

No, I didn't like it either, it was very clunky and disjointed. It looked really good but other than that it didn't have a lot going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've seen mostly good reviews. The stage version was very well received on Broadway so hopefully it's transferred well. I don't like Ryan Murphy when he does TV, and I'm not a fan of his casting choices for some of the main adult characters, but I'm still looking forward to it.
    Yeah, I think it would be more accurate to say that the reviews are quite positive in general with the odd slating here and there.

The only Ryan Murphy I've ever liked is Popular and early Glee (and maybe American Crime Story at a stretch) so that's why I'm interested in this adaptation.

Yeah, I think it would be more accurate to say that the reviews are quite positive in general with the odd slating here and there.

The only Ryan Murphy I've ever liked is Popular and early Glee (and maybe American Crime Story at a stretch) so that's why I'm interested in this adaptation.

God, I loved Popular! And the first 12 episodes of Glee were incredible. I think he just has no control over himself when things go on too long. Like he might have a brilliant idea for something and it's good for a little while and then it just goes to $hite. The fact this is an adaptation gives me some hope that he's not been involved in the writing much, or at all.

It's out on my birthday so I'm taking that as a good omen :D

Break (french)
    After a serious accident, Lucie tries to rediscover herself as a dancer and meets Vincent, a talented b-boy battling his own insecurities.

Just Another Christmas (brazilian)
    Stuck in a time loop where it's forever Christmas, a family man who hates the holiday starts to learn valuable lessons about what's important in life.

The Whistlers
    A shady police inspector teams up with a beautiful accomplice for a high-stakes heist. To pull it off, they'll communicate using a secret whistling language.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Whistlers
    A shady police inspector teams up with a beautiful accomplice for a high-stakes heist. To pull it off, they'll communicate using a secret whistling language.

Saw the Whistlers last year at the Cork film festival. Enjoyable neo-noir thriller that was very entertaining. One of the better films I saw at the festival. Worth checking out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

olvias wrote: »
    Lucifer - binged watched from S1 and up to date at S5 pt 1.
    Only S4+S5 are on our Netflix. Dunno who has the rights but it's a tad stupid. Presumably it'll revert to Netflix at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,803 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought oh this looks fun! Ryan Murphy involved..Meryl Streep...Nicole Kidman....oh wait...James Corden...eugh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ixoy wrote: »
    Only S4+S5 are on our Netflix. Dunno who has the rights but it's a tad stupid. Presumably it'll revert to Netflix at some point.
    Think Amazon have the earlier seasons?

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    I thought oh this looks fun! Ryan Murphy involved..Meryl Streep...Nicole Kidman....oh wait...James Corden...eugh

As annoying as James Corden can be he's actually quite good at musicals. I watched his opening number from when he presented the Tonys a few years ago and he's very natural at it, more natural than he is in anything else he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Just watched Mortal Engines. Wasn't as bad as the reviews made it out. Not fantastic by a long shot, takes from a lot of other movies and some of the characters and acting are pretty poor (Anna Fang).

Think it has 26% or something on Rotten tomatoes though which is just ridiculous. Worth a watch to kill a couple hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Just watched Mortal Engines. Wasn't as bad as the reviews made it out. Not fantastic by a long shot, takes from a lot of other movies and some of the characters and acting are pretty poor (Anna Fang).

Think it has 26% or something on Rotten tomatoes though which is just ridiculous. Worth a watch to kill a couple hours.
    I watched the trailer of that a few years ago (or whenever it was due to release) and thought it looked good.

When it eventually came to DVD/streaming, I didn't watch it for very long, I thought it was poor.

But I think if I had expected it to be poor, I may have enjoyed it more.

If that makes sense..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Suckit wrote: »
    I watched the trailer of that a few years ago (or whenever it was due to release) and thought it looked good.

When it eventually came to DVD/streaming, I didn't watch it for very long, I thought it was poor.

But I think if I had expected it to be poor, I may have enjoyed it more.

If that makes sense..

Yeah that makes sense. If I'd seen it in the cinema as a major release I'd have been very disappointed. But just filling a couple hours on Netflix with a random movie I was surprised at it not being complete crap. Given the reviews I was expecting Wild Wild West.

Mank
    Based on a script by David Fincher’s late father, Jack, this period drama sees 1930s Hollywood re-evaluated through the eyes of scathing social critic and alcoholic screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz as he races to finish the screenplay of Citizen Kane for Orson Welles.

Big Mouth: Season 4
    Netflix’s adult animated comedy takes on summer camps in its fourth run, which introduces its teen to the Anxiety Mosquito.

Captain Underpants: Mega Blissmas – 4th December
    Christmas gets weird — really weird — after George and Harold go back in time to change up a few of their beloved holiday’s traditions.

Bhaag Beanie Bhaag: Season 1 – 4th December
    Facing disapproving parents, a knotty love life and her own inner critic, an aspiring comic ditches her cushy but unsatisfying life to pursue stand-up

Selena: The Series: Part 1
    Iconic Mexican-American performer Selena rises to fame as she and her family make sacrifices in order to achieve their lifelong dreams.

Leyla Everlasting
    A resilient housewife, her husband and their marriage therapist become mired in a toxic love triangle in this Turkish film.

Christmas Crossfire (german)
    A man foils an attempted murder, then flees the crew of would-be killers along with their intended target as a woman he’s just met tries to find him.

You Are My Home
    After becoming separated from her family, a young girl finds herself in the care of a heartbroken woman who faces her own struggles.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Think Amazon have the earlier seasons?

Nope. Not on mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ixoy wrote: »
    Nope. Not on mine anyway.

Seasons 1-3 (Luficer) are on the UK Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Hurrache wrote: »
    Seasons 1-3 (Luficer) are on the UK Prime.

I’m on UK prime but its not showing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Odd, just checked again and it's telling me seasons 1-3 are there for Prime members.

Good news though, Leap Year is there now too :) (edit, on Prime Video)

Advertisement