Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next Gen Freesat?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Has the switch to Non-Freesat mode been sorted out now?
    Thinking of moving to the 4K box and looking for latest feedback please.
    Any other issues showing up now?

Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Cerco wrote: »
    Has the switch to Non-Freesat mode been sorted out now?
    Thinking of moving to the 4K box and looking for latest feedback please.
    Any other issues showing up now?

Thanks for replies.

Don't have the box myself but posters on the Digital Spy forum say that the issue is stil happening

Bought this new box today from Richards sounds 2TB can’t wait I have two cables I used with my old 1100S box to record two shows at once if I wasn’t watching tv or record one while watching another but this box can record more? How do I record more? Do I have to get new satellite and cables or is it something simple I can do?

Dumb it down for me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭decor58

Bought this new box today from Richards sounds 2TB can’t wait I have two cables I used with my old 1100S box to record two shows at once if I wasn’t watching tv or record one while watching another but this box can record more? How do I record more? Do I have to get new satellite and cables or is it something simple I can do?

Dumb it down for me lol

You would need either a wideband or hybrid lnb, if you are using other satellite receivers then a hybrid would be best.

Got my 4K freesat box I love it but there is no recording padding like on my old humax box? to set recording 5 minutes before and after?

I’m not seeing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Are there any recent reviews of the Arris 4k recordable Freesat box online please? Is it still a disasterous device, very difficult to find any up to date information on it.

Are there any recent reviews of the Arris 4k recordable Freesat box online please? Is it still a disasterous device, very difficult to find any up to date information on it.

I have since yesterday it’s amazing buy it and get 2TB you might not need it but just incase you’ll never run out of space and buy it from Richard sounds and get 6 years insurance for €33 for peace of mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

@ tajd, cheers for the tip!
    @Harry Palmr, great link with plenty of info, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The iplayer doesn't seem to work on my humax 1100s anymore. I have had to set up a Fire stick but the picture quality is poor, like tv3 quality.

I reset the box today hoping it would sort it and now I also seem to have lost the ability to delete channels. I want to get rid of some the channels at the top of the epg epecially the bbc1 london sd channel.

This new Arris 4k box seems to be really poor with their selection of apps.
    The penny doesn't seem to have dropped that people want an Android system where you can download what apps you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Prime Video is launching on the new 4k Freesat box. Doesn't look like it will be on the older 1100s model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Anyone who has Freesat UHD-4X box , do you know if it's possible to manually change DNS in network settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

Anyone who has Freesat UHD-4X box , do you know if it's possible to manually change DNS in network settings?

Trying to figure that out myself and it looks like you cant, I was thinking off buying a cheap router to go between Virgin media router and freesat box

lukeeman wrote: »
    Trying to figure that out myself and it looks like you cant, I was thinking off buying a cheap router to go between Virgin media router and freesat box

i wonder if its the same process as humax hb-1100s. with Humax you have to use a wired connection and then network setting are available and you can change dns.

i would like to avoid adding another router ...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

i wonder it its same process as humax hb-1100s. with Humax you have to use a wired connection and then network setting are available and you can change dns.

i would like to avoid adding another router ...

I have my one connected by Ethernet cable and no luck with changing DNS

lukeeman wrote: »
    I have my one connected by Ethernet cable and no luck with changing DNS

A process on Humax would be this:

1. The router may need to be restarted before the DHCP off setting is active.
    2. After the router is fully booted - go into the Humax settings for network and reinitiate checking.
    3. After, what seems like a long wait manual setting should now be able to set.
    4. You will need to enter and fix all network settings so an address reservation on the router is advised.
    5. After saving the setting remember to reactive DHCP on the router.

Or if you have a switch connected to nothing else. It needs to see port up/up but if it can not get IP from DHCP then manual IP setup becomes available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I'm a Free To Air man myself, Ferguson Ariva HD FTA Combo box, but I could be converted to Freesat (if it sounds really good)...

Can somebody tell me the benefits of Freesat over and above Free To Air. Several things I love about the FTA box including HD channels and all BBC & ITV regions + the ability to record using an external Hard Drive.

Tell me about the Freesat box.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭decor58

I'm a Free To Air man myself, Ferguson Ariva HD FTA Combo box, but I could be converted to Freesat (if it sounds really good)...

Can somebody tell me the benefits of Freesat over and above Free To Air. Several things I love about the FTA box including HD channels and all BBC & ITV regions + the ability to record using an external Hard Drive.

I had a humax up to a month ago, it died, but up to that 1st class, 7day epg, auto updates, 500gb hdd, very reliable, ok you can't customize the channels, no C4 hd, but a small price to pay. The newer Arris unit appears to have teething issues, if Humax was still available I would have got a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

FreeSat is branded software. Channels pay to be included in their EPG.
    Pros:- automatic tuning and updating. The channel list region is based on a UK postcode you enter during setup. A London postcode gives London channels, Welsh postcode = Welsh versions etc etc. Can include some "Red Button" functions but I think they're scarce these days.

Cons:- A lot of FTA channels including +1s are not on the EPG. Most notable is CH4 HD is not on FreeSat. Switching between FreeSat EPG and others can be cumbersome. You pay a premium price for FreeSat functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/software-updates doesn't specify what was fixed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement