Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Antenna wall plate

Options
  • 01-12-2020 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Any advice on these antenna wall plates which were recently installed
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/JsRuxnssN3NHccNTA

Am I wrong but should the outer braid of the cable be connected to the ground/outer ring of the wallplate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

theShire wrote: »
    Am I wrong but should the outer braid of the cable be connected to the ground/outer ring of the wallplate?

The cables in the third pic require an f- connector, the braid has to be part of the connection in all cases, the outer braid is cut too short and is not connected in any of those pics.

https://www.freetv.ie/accessories/tv-connectors/f-connectors/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Any advice on these antenna wall plates which were recently installed
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/JsRuxnssN3NHccNTA

Yes it 'should'.
    Also the ethernet cable should not be unravelled prior to connection to the rj45 socket.

It appears that the coax cables are too short to facilitate adding an F-connector or indeed putting the outer braid under the clamp in the other two pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Cheers,
    I was thinking that it just wasn't right but was second-guessing myself.

This is recent 2nd fix done by an electrician in the last 6 weeks!

Same company has rewired my old house and new extension.

Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Should I be worried?

Probably not from an electrical point of view, but I've generally found electricians not good when it comes to TV, coax etc.

Haven't ever seen anything that bad though.

The Cush wrote: »
    Probably not from an electrical point of view, but I've generally found electricians not good when it comes to TV, coax etc.

Haven't ever seen anything that bad though.

Have to say I'm fairly annoyed, would likely have done a better job myself!
    Have been onto my builder as electrician was through him so hopefully they'll sort it out

• Advertisement

Just to update, electrician was back in the evening to rectify the issues.

It was the owner himself and he did say the apprentice & older lad with him who were here for the second fix would be getting a right b**locking about it!

Advertisement