Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

holiday flights summer 2021

Options
  • 25-11-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hi folks

anyone book flights yet for family hols next summer?

I am thinking of booking with Aer Lingus who are showing cheap flight options to France and Spain for early July 2021, 2 adults 3 kids and booking a car and a campsite then.

What do people think of the possibility of having mandatory covid vaccinations for anyone wishing to travel overseas next summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

jconn wrote: »
    What do people think of the possibility of having mandatory covid vaccinations for anyone wishing to travel overseas next summer?

Highly unlikely in Europe. Younger people with no underlying conditions will probably not be able to get the vaccine at that stage, even if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

hi folks

I am thinking of booking with Aer Lingus who are showing cheap flight options to France and Spain for early July 2021, 2 adults 3 kids and booking a car and a campsite then.

We booked our flights and went with flexible option in case things go belly up.
    Still cheaper than last year.

Campsite booked last Sept, deposit was a voucher from last year, rest due in May.

Vaccinations: worry about that when we have to think about it, way off that so far

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jconn

what about travel insurance for next summer for a family holiday, presumably premiums will be hiked, anyone get that sorted yet, any medical extras taken?

I see Aer Lingus are not offering any voucher or refund eligibility on their Economy Saver flight options (which are half the price of their Plus and Advantage flight options); presumably similar situation with Ryanair?

Wondering if there was a covid spike in the region of Spain/France where the flights were arriving, but with no Dept of Foreign Affairs non-travel advisory, is one just stuck with the option of either fly or lose the lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

what about travel insurance for next summer for a family holiday, presumably premiums will be hiked, anyone get that sorted yet, any medical extras taken?

I see Aer Lingus are not offering any voucher or refund eligibility on their Economy Saver flight options (which are half the price of their Plus and Advantage flight options); presumably similar situation with Ryanair?

Wondering if there was a covid spike in the region of Spain/France where the flights were arriving, but with no Dept of Foreign Affairs non-travel advisory, is one just stuck with the option of either fly or lose the lot?

Travel Insurance will be no different than the summer gone. It didn't cover anything cancelled by Covid.

The price of Flexible ticket is cheaper this year than economy was last year with Aer Lingus for us going to France

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Can't see mandatory vaccinations being a requirement, not within the next 6-12 months anyway, something like this would need significant infrastructure to be put in place and that's after a mass vaccine rollout, although I can see something like proof of negative test result for travel within EU being necessary for the foreseeable future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Ennione

I very much doubt there will be vaccination available on demand (for non vulnerable people) that soon. I personally have no plans to get on a airplane any time soon. All you need is one selfish person to fly knowing they have symptoms, and you have a plane load of sick people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ennione wrote: »
    I very much doubt there will be vaccination available on demand (for non vulnerable people) that soon. I personally have no plans to get on a airplane any time soon. All you need is one selfish person to fly knowing they have symptoms, and you have a plane load of sick people.

Will you therefore not enter a supermarkets , shop, gym, restaurant etc in case one selfish person is there too? You’ll then have a shop load of sick people etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

Check the insurance, some policies now covering loss if you test positive and can't travel, usual exclusion, no cover for cancellation if government restricted, but I believe with the new traffice light system the old "do not travel" is gone
    and its now travel with "caution"

I'm hoping to go, but will hold till new year and see regards what policy I can get and flight prices, have deposit on accomodation but was only e200

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Can't see mandatory vaccinations being a requirement, not within the next 6-12 months anyway, something like this would need significant infrastructure to be put in place and that's after a mass vaccine rollout, although I can see something like proof of negative test result for travel within EU being necessary for the foreseeable future

Who will make it "Mandatory" I don't think the EU will make it a law that you have to have a Vaccine, it may be the case that individual countries make it a requirement but i'd expect those to be outside the EU... Making something mandatory is walking a very fine line for a lot of Authorities and private companies so will be interesting to see how this all pans out for travel going into the 2021 season...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

hi folks

The flights are cheap due to the uncertainty over travel next summer, if you wait for certainty the cheap flights might be gone. It’s a tough call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m hoping to travel perhaps around September 2021 but I won’t be booking for another few months.
    Would be willing to pay a bit extra with Aer Lingus for booking flexibility within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ennione wrote: »

as opposed to all the other unselfish people who may be asymptomatic

:rolleyes:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Who will make it "Mandatory" I don't think the EU will make it a law that you have to have a Vaccine, it may be the case that individual countries make it a requirement but i'd expect those to be outside the EU... Making something mandatory is walking a very fine line for a lot of Authorities and private companies so will be interesting to see how this all pans out for travel going into the 2021 season...

Nobody will make it "mandatory" per se but I reckon there will be certain restrictions for people who decline the vaccine, for example I would imagine for people who want to travel but have not yet received the vaccine they will have to fork out for a PCR test and have proof of negative result before entering some countries, if you can show youve been vaccinated then no test required and off you go without any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Nobody will make it "mandatory" per se but I reckon there will be certain restrictions for people who decline the vaccine, for example I would imagine for people who want to travel but have not yet received the vaccine they will have to fork out for a PCR test and have proof of negative result before entering some countries, if you can show youve been vaccinated then no test required and off you go without any hassle

Meh... won't be so simple... a worldwide roll out of Vaccines could take 3 years, with each and every country outside.. and possibly inside the EU all having different requirements... show a cert.. download an app with a barcode... who's responsible to check it? Border control? IT systems which will scan Vaccine proof certs to check they're not forgeries..will that be at a Global level? Will it be integrated with passport systems and the software at all points of entry setup to scan it?

Dunno which way countries plan on opening up to travellers but if you restrict it to those with a vaccine cert then i'd expect tourist numbers to be even less in 2021 than 2020...

Meh... won't be so simple... a worldwide roll out of Vaccines could take 3 years, with each and every country outside.. and possibly inside the EU all having different requirements... show a cert.. download an app with a barcode... who's responsible to check it? Border control? IT systems which will scan Vaccine proof certs to check they're not forgeries..will that be at a Global level? Will it be integrated with passport systems and the software at all points of entry setup to scan it?

Dunno which way countries plan on opening up to travellers but if you restrict it to those with a vaccine cert then i'd expect tourist numbers to be even less in 2021 than 2020...

I had to cancel a cruise this Christmas, and with the credit booked another for September. Now I am taking a risk in this, I don't know that the cruise company won't make it a condition of voyage that I must have a vaccine, nor do I know if the airlines I will be booked on will make it a condition of travel. I'm hoping to actually have a vaccine by then but no guarantees of this at all.

As alluded to earlier I can't see the infrastructure being in place for this within the next few months however I would say by 2022 there will be some sort of vaccine passport or cert that will be required for travel, there are already some airlines talking about refusing people who are not vaccinated by the summertime but I reckon a lot of them will have to extend or postpone this time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Thinking of booking a holiday for the 3 of us in the canerys next October for a Christmas present, still have doubts,but surely it should be ok and opened up alot by then?

There is an article in the Irish Times about Vaccine certificates being part of the implementation plan in Ireland, and mention of the possible requirement of some airlines to have this certificate before flying next summer.

In terms of our family of 2 adults 3 kids, I would imagine it very unlikely all of us would have the vaccine by July considering we are so far thankfully all healthy under 50, so this begs the questions will we potentially have to pay for a private Covid test before going on holidays, and after returning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Thinking of booking a holiday for the 3 of us in the canerys next October for a Christmas present, still have doubts,but surely it should be ok and opened up alot by then?

You would need a crystal ball

There is an article in the Irish Times about Vaccine certificates being part of the implementation plan in Ireland, and mention of the possible requirement of some airlines to have this certificate before flying next summer.

In terms of our family of 2 adults 3 kids, I would imagine it very unlikely all of us would have the vaccine by July considering we are so far thankfully all healthy under 50, so this begs the questions will we potentially have to pay for a private Covid test before going on holidays, and after returning?

I think it would be wise to factor this into the cost of your holiday for next summer, however there has been pressure on the Spanish government as well as other EU holiday destinations to accept antigen testing as a means of entry as this will be low cost compared to PCR tests, allowing more people access to travelling there, the whole thing is still up in the air (no pun intended) with regards to what will be acceptable within the next few months but some countries will not be in a position to turn away tourists after losing so much revenue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Senior scientists in France now saying normality may not resume till autumn next year...... If that's the case I assume that would extend to most of the EU therefore ruling out typical summer holidays unless you're willing to quarantine on arrival and return home??

I am gone from being optimistic about Summer 2021 travel from Ireland to France/Spain early Dec, to a lot more pessimistic now...though the cheap flights still remain!

I guess we have bigger fish to fry in this country right now, the numbers are high but hopefully will calm down again pretty quickly, lots of elderly folks frightened to go for a walk so talk of summer hols seems a bit selfish.

Will keep an eye on the flights but the uncertainty will continue I guess until we see how the vaccination program plays out, I suspect we may see France/Spain/Italy requiring vaccine certs before allowing tourists in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I am gone from being optimistic about Summer 2021 travel from Ireland to France/Spain early Dec, to a lot more pessimistic now...though the cheap flights still remain!

I guess we have bigger fish to fry in this country right now, the numbers are high but hopefully will calm down again pretty quickly, lots of elderly folks frightened to go for a walk so talk of summer hols seems a bit selfish.

Will keep an eye on the flights but the uncertainty will continue I guess until we see how the vaccination program plays out, I suspect we may see France/Spain/Italy requiring vaccine certs before allowing tourists in.
    Same here. Was all set to book our two weeks in Portugal for next September but I think it's probably a non runner now. Roll out of vaccine seems to be a lot slower than I anticipated

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suspect those countries will base their full reopening on when their vulnerable and front line workers are vaccinated, once that's done they won't care who is coming in whether they have Covid or not as impact will be minimal and manageable. Additionally there's little testing at all been done as to whether those vaccinated can still transmit the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Given that very young kids may not be vaccinated until 2022 I can't see them looking for vaccine certs at the airports.

I think once the 60 plus are vaccinated things should hopefully open up.

There is still of course huge uncertainty over whether the vaccine will be effective in the long term.

Europe should really have locked down like NZ/Aus did.

In many ways they should allow travel from an early stage as otherwise you will have a mass of people looking to get away towards the end of the year.

I think there has been something like 100,000 positive cases in ROI now. Given that many people are not showing symptoms half a million could already have had the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Still aiming towards September but I wont be booking anything for a couple of months. I am group 7 on the priority list so hope to have a vaccine by easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hard to know what countries will implement. Spain have already said they will keep data on those that refuse the vaccine and they will share this with other EU countries. If other countries follow this approach, then I can foresee people getting stopped on entry for not having the vaccine. I can't see this happening this year though, but in the future it may be mandatory to have your vaccine passport on you when ever you are travelling. Hopefully they update the current vaccine passports to something more robust, mine is in poor shape as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

I'm heading to Iceland later this week. Depending on how it goes, I might book Dunnes Stores for next week.

oops, I'll get my (over) coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

Really tempted to book our family holiday to Spain for end of June. When I priced in October it was 1500 for 7 but its now only 1000 which is great value. Just not sure if it will be throwing away money.

Only thing is its a voucher I will use to pay it so doesn't feel like it's costing me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Re Ryanair flight changes - I thought you could change your flight without any change fee if you booked in December or January.

Yet when I try to change my flights I am being charged a change fee of 280eur for everyone on the flights.

I thought any flight could be changed for free.

I booked the flight in December which I thought would mean a no flight change fee.

https://extra.ie/2020/11/20/business/irish/ryanair-waive-flight-change-fee/amp

Thanks

Advertisement