Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heating System

Options
  • 30-11-2020 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am modifying the set-up in my heating system and I just wanted to get some views on the proposal:

[/Current Setup as follows:B]

1000L Thermal Store with the following inputs: Solar Panels (20m2), Oil Boiler and Back-Boiler on solid fuel fire (only lit at weekends).
    Outputs: DHW and UFH upstairs and downstairs.

At the moment, I am heating the tank to 65 DegC to satisfy my DHW requirements (as well as my UFH @ 38 DegC).

My proposed change is as follows:

Use Thermal store for UFH only with solar panels and back-boiler feeding into same.
    Install separate DHW tank (300L) and heat this from oil-boiler and immersion when required. The 'cold water' feed to this 300L tank would be from the existing DHW pipe from the thermal store so in reality, this tank would be fed by 40 DegC water and not from ~12 DegC water.

My thinking is as follows:
    Solar panels heat thermal store to 45-50 even on a dull-ish day so all of the UFH heating for the house could be provided by the solar panels and then I am only heating water with fossil fuels for my DHW requirements.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Without knowing the heat loss characteristics of the house, the risk, as I see it, is that there wont be enough solar to satisfy the u/f demand in the depths of winter. So I would keep the option open to augment the heat in the large thermal store with the oil boiler if / when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Thanks Mick - yes should have said, the plan there would be to incorporate a couple of motorized valves to allow for that.

Mike

Advertisement