Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annual Taxsaver Tickets to be extended by Six Months

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've actually used my rail/Luas ticket on Luas since the extension was announced, and it hasn't appeared. Original doesn't expire until the end of January though, so plenty of time to chase it up

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Has anyone received a refund on their annual ticket from April yet?

I have a luas card, HR seem in the dark and just saying that travelhub are processing it...

I applied for my at end of August and got refund last month through my hr department

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I applied for my at end of August and got refund last month through my hr department

how many months did you get back?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

loyatemu wrote: »
    how many months did you get back?

1 as my pass expired on 30th of June

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

I have a luas card, HR seem in the dark and just saying that travelhub are processing it...

No, I applied for a refund in August with my HR for my tax saver ticket and as of yet I haven't received anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

Applied for my refund in July and still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The website said to allow at least six weeks I think.

I applied for a refund from April 1st via TravelHub back in August so just missed that timeline for Sept pay. Hopefully it’s in my October pay in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Davebol11

I applied to get my ticket cancelled about 2 months ago and requesting a refund. I looked at my payslip for next week and they have stopped taking out the weekly deduction.

Does anyone who has received a refund know how long the gap was between them stopping the deductions until the refund arrived?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still not received any extension on a 31/01/21 expiring ticket - which is still used, occasionally.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Davebol11 wrote: »
    I applied to get my ticket cancelled about 2 months ago and requesting a refund. I looked at my payslip for next week and they have stopped taking out the weekly deduction.

Does anyone who has received a refund know how long the gap was between them stopping the deductions until the refund arrived?

They've stopped taking money for my travelcard and I've got a refund of about €250 net but no idea how that was calculated so have asked HR for backup. Doesn't seem enough?

I had asked for a reminder from 1 April until the start of August when they should have cancelled it.

• Advertisement

They've stopped taking money for my travelcard and I've got a refund of about €250 net but no idea how that was calculated so have asked HR for backup. Doesn't seem enough?

I had asked for a reminder from 1 April until the start of August when they should have cancelled it.
    Yeah, that does seem quite a low refund. I should get a refund from April until last week. I read somewhere if you used the card 10 times in a week that that week would be excluded so maybe I'll lose a couple of weeks during the summer when I was back in the office a couple of days a week.

Did getting the refund push you into a different tax rate and it was taxed at that higher rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Yeah, that does seem quite a low refund. I should get a refund from April until last week. I read somewhere if you used the card 10 times in a week that that week would be excluded so maybe I'll lose a couple of weeks during the summer when I was back in the office a couple of days a week.

Did getting the refund push you into a different tax rate and it was taxed at that higher rate?

Seems more like 10 uses in a month is deemed enough to exclude that month from the refund: https://www.taxsaver.ie/News/Free-Taxsaver-Extension-Customer-FAQ/
    8. As a customer, I have been using my TaxSaver ticket from time to time during travel restrictions, but now I want a refund.
    Where the customer wishes to receive a refund, it is still open to them to make such a request via their employer under existing terms and conditions. Operators will process the refund if the customer didn’t have “substantial” use. Substantial use is deemed to be more than 10 trips within any calendar month

Depending on how those weeks with 10 trips fell (e.g. if they were in different months) , that may see you markedly worse off?

cython wrote: »
    Seems more like 10 uses in a month is deemed enough to exclude that month from the refund: https://www.taxsaver.ie/News/Free-Taxsaver-Extension-Customer-FAQ/

Depending on how those weeks with 10 trips fell (e.g. if they were in different months) , that may see you markedly worse off?

Thanks, I think I may lose a month on that basis, maybe 2 unfortunately!

Nope, would be all at the higher rate normally....will see what backup HR can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

L1011 wrote: »
    Still not received any extension on a 31/01/21 expiring ticket - which is still used, occasionally.

Don't think you will until closer the time. Mine is 31/12

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Can you tell me was your transport operator a private company.

Can you tell me was your transport operator a private company.

Was a Dublin bus and LUAS annual ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

L1011 wrote: »

Your extension will not issue until the last week of January

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mama lion

I had asked for a reminder from 1 April until the start of August when they should have cancelled it.[/quoted

Do you mind me asking how long it took from stopping the payments to getting refund. I can see next week's payslip so can see they've stopped taking the payment. Many thanks

Not 100% sure so am waiting on HR to provide details, think about 3 months....will report back.

• Advertisement

I’ve just paid the final payment for my annual ticket in my Nov salary. Not used since early March.

So not only have I not got the refund, I’ve paid 4 more months since I requested it.

They owe me 8 months back at this stage. I’m presuming there’s just a terrible backlog like everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mama lion

mailforkev wrote: »
    I’ve just paid the final payment for my annual ticket in my Nov salary. Not used since early March.

So not only have I not got the refund, I’ve paid 4 more months since I requested it.

They owe me 8 months back at this stage. I’m presuming there’s just a terrible backlog like everything else.

I made last payment 2 weeks ago. Would be interested to know how long it takes for refund.

Requested in August and due refund back to April too.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I have an annual Dublin Bus/Irish Rail ticket, Jan - Dec, through my employer. I have used it less than 10 times total since March and have no use for the extension so thinking of requesting refund backdated to April. Am I too late for this? Do I have to request through employer or how do I go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gerlad

Celtise wrote: »
    I have an annual Dublin Bus/Irish Rail ticket, Jan - Dec, through my employer. I have used it less than 10 times total since March and have no use for the extension so thinking of requesting refund backdated to April. Am I too late for this? Do I have to request through employer or how do I go about it?

You have up to 31/12/20 to apply - do it through your employer. There seems to be a huge backlog. I applied in mid September and money keeps coming from salary and no refund yet. And i can see above others applied even earlier and no sign yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I also applied in August, money no longer coming out as of November, but no refund - I haven't used it since March. My ticket is luas only, was hoping we might see the refund this side of Christmas but I'm guessing not.

Was informed this week that supposedly my refund is approved and money was to be with my employer by end November, so hopefully a bumper December payslip awaits in a couple of weeks. Mind you, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

I got mine though my employer. I actually ended up using the ticket early this year (I was paying for it!), but like once a month, and the NTA were getting very sniffy about the refund. The Finance Dept in my place fought them though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Debating with myself to apply for a refund through work. Unsure of the wording on the taxsaver site section 8 regarding 'substantial use', does this definitely apply to just an individual month or if you have gone above 10 journeys in any month since April then you are excluded from eligibility for a refund?

Hardly used it from April til mid-August with a couple of journeys made late August. Used it 20+ times during September, pretty certain I just went over 10 journeys in October and then back to minimal use in November/December well under 10 journeys

I would hope that would work out as a 7 month refund which looks better than the 6 months extension. Do you get refunded pro-rata net amount or gross amount and then pay additional tax? I paid €1800.00 upfront in January and I'm on the higher tax band

Got my refund today finally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I see my refund on my pay slip for my next payday this week. I had a Luas only ticket, not used since March. Even in March, it was barely used. My refund, before tax, is €859.

Advertisement