Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martin McGuinness commander of Óglaigh na hÉireann

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Are there any British Army personnel here and how did they feel about Martin McGuinness acting as deputy first minister? Did many resign when that happened?

I personally thing there's much narrow mindedness being shown by both sides of this argument. I'm still to make up my mind on whether or not the thought of McGuinness as president would be a good or bad thing for the country, but one things for sure, if the people of the north (both sides) were prepared to accept Paisley and McGuinness as their leaders and move forward, there might be a lesson for us all here.

There seems to be some very strong anti Sinn Fein sentiment here over what might have happened before, but didn't Sinn Fein put a huge amount behind themselves to go into power with the Unionists? Likewise the Unionists went into power with Sinn Fein, and would have a lot more reason than anyone in the south to hate Sinn Fein, yet they opened the door after looking at the bigger picture.

edit: Just to ad, i'm not having a go at either the Sinn Fein bots or the anti- Sinn Fein bots i'm genuinely interested in hearing peoples opinion on this. Not just 'hes a murdering scumbag' off the shelf comment, or 'hes a national hero' retort.

Savage, my strong anti Sinn Fein sentiment is that they do not recognise this state. A state that my grandfather and 2 uncles have served. A state that both my father and myself would have served apart from pesky medical checks.

The people of the north (both sides) were prepared to take Paisley and McGuinness as their leaders because it helped remove the ever present threat of getting blown up by one of the terrorist groups up there.
    Faced with a choice of sitting down to dinner with the devil or having the possibility that him and his minions will come to get you, i know which one most pragmatic people would choose. And my reference to the devil is not any one person, or any one group, but both sets of terrorist groups.

I don't think that McGuinness has been totally honest about when his association with the PIRA ended either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't know, but the 'duplicate' matching software is ringing alarm bells right now. We shall look into the details.

Judging by the abusive pm I received from Spiderman123 yesterday, you might want to check that one as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

edit: ....]or the anti- Sinn Fein bots

I think the anti-Sinn Fein bots are really 'Gay Mitchell-bots'.

Or 'gaybots' for short. Remind me of the fembots actually :)

Morlar wrote: »
    I think the anti-Sinn Fein bots are really 'Gay Mitchell-bots'.

Or 'gaybots' for short. Remind me of the fembots actually :)

I honestly have no idea who i'm voting for to be honest.

Dana is rooted to the no 7 slot though. the top 6 are still all to play for. AND i got 2 voting cards, so my vote is worth twice yours!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

gatecrash wrote: »
    ... AND i got 2 voting cards, so my vote is worth twice yours!! :D

We need the admins to check for re-regs I see !

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    We need the admins to check for re-regs I see !

hehehehe! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Spiderman is taking a week off after his last few posts.

Lads, this bollocks of "Shinnerbot" etc. needs to stop. You're all adults who are capable of having a civilised discussion. Sort it out or this thread gets closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Referring way back to the OP, I reckon this time around McGuinness definately isn't going to make it, but guys in another seven years anything is possible in this Country.

Consider how quickly he has risen to the positions that he has held.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

Savage, my strong anti Sinn Fein sentiment is that they do not recognise this state. A state that my grandfather and 2 uncles have served. A state that both my father and myself would have served apart from pesky medical checks.

They most certainly do and have done since 1986 when a number of men and women split from the Provisional movement to form RSF due to objections in recognising the southern state. Not only that but the Provos have gone even further and as signitories to the GFA they not only recognise the 26 County state but also the northern state and Britain's right to claim sovereignty over the Irish population in the north east. Provo Sinn Féin do very much recognise the southern state at this moment in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Faced with a choice of sitting down to dinner with the devil or having the possibility that him and his minions will come to get you, i know which one most pragmatic people would choose. And my reference to the devil is not any one person, or any one group, but both sets of terrorist groups..

I know what you mean here and agree to an extent, but think thats a bit of a naive answer. I mean both sides didn't trudge themselves over to the table to sit down and work together, they genuinely both thought (and still think) that things can be done differently, while accepting and moving on from what each side may have done in the past.
    What i'm a little disheartened with here is the somewhat hardline attitudes shown by posters in this thread in relation to not accepting that someone may have changed and may be willing to push forward with a broader, more open agenda. I used the word hardline there, as I see paralells in the attitudes of some (not all) posters to those of the current political minority who are intent on not letting the peace process, power sharing, and society as a whole move forward.

All said I still haven't made my mind up if McGuinness would make a good president or not. The office (and duties) of the president seems not to be tailored for the agendas that several of the candidates are pushing forward...

• Advertisement

There's more that went on behind the scenes than we know about. I don't know if it was here or somewhere else that i saw it, but apparently Blair had words with the unionist parties pretty much telling them that the time had come to sit down and chat.

Myself and Morlar (and you too i think) argued the point earlier on in the thread that there was a public backlash after the Warrington bombings in particular, and that Ahern and Blair latched onto and used to force both sides to sit down. Here we are, nearly 20 years later with Sinn Fein being accepted as a mainstream party once again.

I think they would have been better served to wait out this election, and maybe put forward a candidate in the NEXT presidential election. there will have been at least one more general election in the intervening period, and the Sinn Fein party could well be in a stronger position.

Unfortunately this presidential election strikes me as not electing the best candidate, because none of them stand out, but electing the least worst.

And i think that the anti Sinn Fein backlash of the last few days after McGuinness catching Gallagher out is misplaced too. If FG or Labour had pulled the same trick then people would be saying what a master-stroke it was.

There's more that went on behind the scenes than we know about. I don't know if it was here or somewhere else that i saw it, but apparently Blair had words with the unionist parties pretty much telling them that the time had come to sit down and chat.

Myself and Morlar (and you too i think) argued the point earlier on in the thread that there was a public backlash after the Warrington bombings in particular, and that Ahern and Blair latched onto and used to force both sides to sit down. Here we are, nearly 20 years later with Sinn Fein being accepted as a mainstream party once again.

I think they would have been better served to wait out this election, and maybe put forward a candidate in the NEXT presidential election. there will have been at least one more general election in the intervening period, and the Sinn Fein party could well be in a stronger position.

Unfortunately this presidential election strikes me as not electing the best candidate, because none of them stand out, but electing the least worst.

And i think that the anti Sinn Fein backlash of the last few days after McGuinness catching Gallagher out is misplaced too. If FG or Labour had pulled the same trick then people would be saying what a master-stroke it was.

That is an understatement to say the least and I don't mean that in a derogetory way to your post. "Behind the scenes" defined the northern conflict from start to finish and why it got so horrendously bloody. The full role of spooks hasn't come even close to the surface yet and when it does we will be probably well gone from this earth and people of the day will think what a deranged way of handling a war. You only have to look at the current refusals by the British government to give the family of Pat Finucane a full inquiry into his death as evidence for wanting things to remain hidden...because that case more than many others has the capability to reveal for all to see the cosy-as-lice relationship forged between the British security services and the loyalist death squads who did their dirty work for them.

On the winding down of the conflict regarding the Provos. That went waaaay back before Blair. All the work was done at that stage, himself and Berti just needed to draw up the wording and claim the credit. I think as early as 1986 Adams had shown a willingness through his contact with Fr. Alec Reid that he wanted to move the organisation down the political route. Now whether Adams was, but there were definitely other senior Provos, working for British intelligence but the IRA suffered a number of major setbacks from the late 80's onwards such as Loughgall, the capture of the Eksund, Enniskillen (later Warrington as you say) and the upsurge in Loyalist/British killings of Catholics. In fact Loyalist killings surpassed that of the IRA in the late 80's early 90's leading to the UDA FINALLY being made an illegal organisation in 1993. This all culminated in putting pressure on the military only heads within the Provos and allowed Adams to bring the organisation down the political route. The 94 ceasefire was what really ended the Troubles, the organisation was broken as a capable guerrila army after that with many of the ranks being led along and been promised great things by Adams and McGuinness. McGuninness was the key because Adams wasn't trusted by rank and file whereas McGuinness was. After 94 it was just a matter of when not if the Provos would call a permanent halt to the long war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

That is an understatement to say the least and I don't mean that in a derogetory way to your post. "Behind the scenes" defined the northern conflict from start to finish and why it got so horrendously bloody....

i disagree absolutely - i think the 'spookyness' of the war - and i mean on all sides - is one of the reasons that, for a 30 year civil war, NI was remarkably bloodless.

civil wars are, by and large, the most bloody, the most savage of all wars - Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Lebanon, Congo etc.. all have vast vast body counts - the Balkan Wars for instance killed 130,000 people minimum in 7 years out of a population of 23 (ish) million (0.565% of the population). if the same, ish, death rate were to be applied to NI, 10,000 people would have been killed in that 7 years.

now, you can easily argure that an NI after 10,000 deaths would be all 'fought out', and that the war would have ended after those 7 years, but if we extrapolate the casualties for the whole Balklan War to the 30 years of the most recent troubles, we find an NI with 35,000 fatalities.

i have my own views on why the conflict panned out as it did, but i cannot possibly imagine that the 'behind the scenes' nature of an awful lot of the important parts of the conflict did not have a significant impact on the doctrines, and therefore consequences, of all the partires involved.

OS119 wrote: »
    i disagree absolutely - i think the 'spookyness' of the war - and i mean on all sides - is one of the reasons that, for a 30 year civil war, NI was remarkably bloodless.

civil wars are, by and large, the most bloody, the most savage of all wars - Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Lebanon, Congo etc.. all have vast vast body counts - the Balkan Wars for instance killed 130,000 people minimum in 7 years out of a population of 23 (ish) million (0.565% of the population). if the same, ish, death rate were to be applied to NI, 10,000 people would have been killed in that 7 years.

now, you can easily argure that an NI after 10,000 deaths would be all 'fought out', and that the war would have ended after those 7 years, but if we extrapolate the casualties for the whole Balklan War to the 30 years of the most recent troubles, we find an NI with 35,000 fatalities.

i have my own views on why the conflict panned out as it did, but i cannot possibly imagine that the 'behind the scenes' nature of an awful lot of the important parts of the conflict did not have a significant impact on the doctrines, and therefore consequences, of all the partires involved.

The northern conflict wasn't like the Balkans. It wasn't primarily a civil war. The republican movement was fighting the British state for the majority of the conflict. The very early days in the late 60's early 70's were bordering on civil war alright where you had loyalist-republican battles but as the Provos emerged that changed. You may argue that because they targetted RUC/B Specials/UDR that it was internal but those organisations were part of the British security aparatus, British security manned by Irishmen but British security nonetheless. Otherwise the Tan War could be classified in the same way as RIC men were the main targets and were mainly made up of Irishmen working for the Crown, likewise some members of the Auxies.
    It was a British security decision to purposely push the northern security forces to the fore in the conflict. The army was a diaster and from a wider view point gave recognition to the IRA campaign that it was indeed fighting the British state. But the British establishment was cute. Those boys didn't rule half the world for no reason. As they realised from past experience and in the face of an embarrasing conflict on their doorstep in western Europe (this wasn't Oman or Kenya where they could get away with anything!) the best way if possible is to get the natives to police themselves...and that's exactly why they gave lead role to RUC/UDR, had the SAS in the background and let MI5 pull the strings hidden from view.
    British security had two main objectives...to crush Irish republicanism and to draw a line under the disputed legitimacy of British sovereignty infringing on that of another nations. They achieved both. The Provos not only were forced into a military defeat, the reasons for which I mentioned in my above post, but more critically they forced them into an ideological defeat...that of recognising the Crown as legitimate sovereign over north east Ireland and acceptance of the unionist veto over Irish re-unification. The 26 County state was also forced to recognise British sovereignty over part of its national territory and that full Irish independence was illegitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...It wasn't primarily a civil war...

i would argue that the Irish, and then NI conflicts have been civil wars (in the widest, cultural/societal definitions), but that unlike in other civil wars, they have manifested themselves in small group vs state conflicts, rather than the mass conflagrations that have been seen elsewhere.

what i'm suugesting is that the actual parties to the conflict - government, PIRA, Loyalists etc.. have been proxies for the societal conflict, rather than the real protagonists (though, obviously they are protagonists, and could be argued to have a vanguard position within the societies from which they come).

OS119 wrote: »
    i would argue that the Irish, and then NI conflicts have been civil wars (in the widest, cultural/societal definitions), but that unlike in other civil wars, they have manifested themselves in small group vs state conflicts, rather than the mass conflagrations that have been seen elsewhere.

what i'm suugesting is that the actual parties to the conflict - government, PIRA, Loyalists etc.. have been proxies for the societal conflict, rather than the real protagonists (though, obviously they are protagonists, and could be argued to have a vanguard position within the societies from which they come).

Are you saying the conflict for independence is really just a civil war between the people's of the islands of Britain and Ireland? I'd have to say since the rise of republicanism in the 18th century it has been a battle against British imperialism. I know there is a section of revisionists who prefer to ignore that Ireland was a colony, the only one of its kind in western Europe in fact. It was the first nonidividualist, noncapitalist society to suffer European individualist capitalist colonization. That is why up until the 60's Ireland (or at least the 26 County's) shared the same characteristics as many post independence colonies from Africa and Asia. Ireland since the first feudal Norman invasions and more especially from the time of the rise of mercantile capitalism has gone through a period of, not underdevelopment, but undevelopment which is something all former colonies have in common. Basically that more people bacame worse off than they were before colonisation. Although not looked upon as a third world country from the 60's onwards, Ireland didn't actually stop the process of undevelopment until the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Unfortunately your statement( I don't doubt you for a minute by the way) is at odds with ballistic evidence. The ballistic evidence, as described in a book about the deaths(and the deaths of other Gardai) detail the expended cases recovered from the scene, these were fired from an AK 47 and a H&K, neither of which weapon was in use by security forces on the day. It is a Myth that no autopsy was preformed on R/Gda Sheehan or Pte Kelly. Autopsy results are never made public prior to a trial. There has been no trial.

However there seems to be a concerted effort lately, since the non trial of a suspect to the event, to fill the internet with false and misleading information regarding the incident, to an extent that if you hear a lie on the internet often enough, it must be true.
    No smoke without fire etc.
    There is also much confusion between this incidents, and other kidnappings. Some think the kidnappers were killed at an army garda checkpoint later that year. That is a different kidnapping, many years later. The "blue on blue" is also considered to be "evidence" that R/Gda Kelly was killed in a blue on blue. However this is UNTRUE.
    It is well documented, in BOOKS, and the few court transcripts that exist regarding this case. Neither of which are available on d'internet.

Have the circumstances surrounding the deaths of these two young men not been sorted out yet in the intervening years? If they have, point me that way and many thanks. If not...I am principally interested in what exactly happened here, not in the larger political issues. Given that there was no trial, couldn’t some edited version of the autopsy results have been released to allay concerns about a ‘friendly fire’ incident? The autopsies mightn’t have found bullets or other evidence that would conclusively settle the matter either way but IMO abridged reports of the autopsy and other forensics should have been made public at some point (I’m presuming they weren’t) in view of the legitimate public interest here. At this point, the state should have done all it could to clarify the historical record.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]Not sure if a 9-year-resurrection isn't a record in these parts, but the question seems valid enough. Just the question, though, I don't see any merit to restarting the whole discussion, whatever it was about most of a decade ago[/Mod]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Unfortunately your statement( I don't doubt you for a minute by the way) is at odds with ballistic evidence. The ballistic evidence, as described in a book about the deaths(and the deaths of other Gardai) detail the expended cases recovered from the scene, these were fired from an AK 47 and a H&K, neither of which weapon was in use by security forces on the day. It is a Myth that no autopsy was preformed on R/Gda Sheehan or Pte Kelly. Autopsy results are never made public prior to a trial. There has been no trial.

However there seems to be a concerted effort lately, since the non trial of a suspect to the event, to fill the internet with false and misleading information regarding the incident, to an extent that if you hear a lie on the internet often enough, it must be true.
    No smoke without fire etc.
    There is also much confusion between this incidents, and other kidnappings. Some think the kidnappers were killed at an army garda checkpoint later that year. That is a different kidnapping, many years later. The "blue on blue" is also considered to be "evidence" that R/Gda Kelly was killed in a blue on blue. However this is UNTRUE.
    It is well documented, in BOOKS, and the few court transcripts that exist regarding this case. Neither of which are available on d'internet.

I recall that instance. The IRA outgunned the Free State forces quite considerably that night. Tragic for the two slain officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Today is the 37th Anniversary of the Murder of R/Gda Sheehan and Pte Kelly.
    One of the killers is enjoying life as a "community worker" and part time musician, and has never been charged with either murder.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

What does R/Gda mean? Reservist?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Recruit, as in a student garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Different training system back then, you were attested (sworn in) on day one as a recruit, and were a recruit Garda (R/Gda) until you passed out at the end of training, which lasted only 6 months (the duration changed many times in the 70s and 80s).

A decision was made to take Recruits from the Training Centre in Templemore (Now Garda College) to assist in the search of open ground and forestry at Ballinamore.

Post 1992, You entered Garda college as a Student Garda,(S/Gda) were attested after 15 Months, were posted as a Probationer for 9 months, at the end of which you returned to pass out as a fully qualified Probationer Garda (your probation ended 2 years after you were attested.
    It has changed again since, Trainee Garda is the new term in use.

Advertisement