Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hardware Vs Software raid help

• 17-01-2020 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Is there anyone that has first hand experience with HW and SW raid.

i have a r710 with a H700 card.

i want to install proxmox running some VM and Container instances, Mostly Home stuff, game server, media servers, dns filter, and learning.

Which would be faster performing for the VM instances

Install proxmox on a Hardware mirrored raid 2xSSD. and make a hardware raid 10 from the remaining ssd drives to use as the pool.
    Or
    Install proxmox on a sataII drive replacing the optical drive, install a H200 card flashed to in IT mode.
    Have Proxmox make A ZFS Raid 10 and use it as the pool.

Any insight would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I only use hardware RAID. The more layers of complexity you add the less likely it is someone will recover the data.

I think the story with home NAS servers is always that when it breaks nobody knows what the recovery process is because it's always some proprietary setup.

Dell is also junk and I've see more than one server have the RAID controller die. It would work for 2 hours then stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Definitely use h/w RAID if available.

I'd agree the Dell RAID cards are miserable, lowest spec know to man in my experience. The one that annoyed us the most was one card that would manage a max of two RAID volumes, after that you were left with just a single disk option.

Advertisement