Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tommy and Hector Podcast

• 14-09-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

The first episode of the Tommy and Hector podcast was a good listen. Some very funny bits. Not usually a fan of their works but being a bit unplanned suits them both.

Comments

I like Tommy, but don't know if I could listen to Hector for more than 30 seconds..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

I heard a few minutes of it. Tommy's great when he's not doing his shouty 'Cute Navan Hoor' persona and talking in a quieter and thoughtful manner, much like he does on his chat show, and it was that latter way of speaking he seems to be doing on the podcast. Hector's not trying to be too big either. I'd say it has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks OP, listened to this tonight. Very enjoyable stuff, would say well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It's irrelevant but very enjoyable so far imo (going on about dogging in West Mayo was brilliant craic).

It's a bit of a Hector tribute show in places though so if you're someone who can't stand him, there's not much hope for you here.

irreverent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭LilacNails

What's the point of your one there, in the background? The woman? Trys too hard to be funny and fake laughing like Maura on the 2 Johnnies !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised with this, very enjoyable, the lads just rambling about different things with a few funny stories in between. Like Hector in this format really suits him I think.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

I've heard first couple of episodes, its ok without being super i thought

I’m loving it. It was a bit too much of a Tommy show in the first couple of episodes but has got a lot better as it got more balanced. Top of the list every Thursday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It's not bad at all.
    Tommy seems like a cantankerous, angry man. There's some good stuff when he's not being a contrarian, but he's not coming across great.

Laurita is pretty good imo. Keeps it light hearted and isn't afraid to take the p1ss out of either of them.

Hector is very good. He's been all over the world and has some great stories. I'd say he'd be very draining in real life, but has a lovely outlook on life.

Tommy likes to portray himself as this forward thinker, but it's the Tommy and Hector show with Laurita Blewitt. She's not even in the artwork for the podcast, it's just the 2 lads.

• Advertisement

It's not bad at all.
    Tommy seems like a cantankerous, angry man. There's some good stuff when he's not being a contrarian, but he's not coming across great.

Laurita is pretty good imo. Keeps it light hearted and isn't afraid to take the p1ss out of either of them.

Hector is very good. He's been all over the world and has some great stories. I'd say he'd be very draining in real life, but has a lovely outlook on life.

Tommy likes to portray himself as this forward thinker, but it's the Tommy and Hector show with Laurita Blewitt. She's not even in the artwork for the podcast, it's just the 2 lads.

You’ve checked she has issue with that I presume?

Don’t take down another thread with that bloody rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

You’ve checked she has issue with that I presume?

Don’t take down another thread with that bloody rot.

How could i possibly check that with her? I'm sure she's glad to get the platform.

It's not 'bloody rot' it's a perfectly valid point.

Go have some lunch Tommy, your blood sugar must be low if you're getting so angry about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

It's not bad at all.

This was changed by the way. Tommy, Hector and Laurita podcast now and she is on the artwork.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Enjoying this more than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adraigh

the Debs stuff was brilliant this week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Really enjoying it as well. Hector was very good on all his travel shows, going back to the early 2000s up to the more recent stuff. He was pretty poor on the radio when he had his own show, but this format suits him

I think both him and Tommy are at their best when they are rambling on and not trying to force/manufacture a bit of craic - both have lived fairly interesting lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

adraigh wrote: »
    the Debs stuff was brilliant this week

Tommy describing his lovely date and then imitates her talk 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Ah here, this podcast is class, has me in laughs while out walking....love it !

Ah here, this podcast is class, has me in laughs while out walking....love it !

I'm the same. Have to wear a mask to cover the laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Really enjoying it , you haven’t a clue what direction the show will take . I think it’s perfectly balanced between the 3 of them . Tommy does come across as a big grump at times.
    I like others have found myself laughing out loud when out for my walk and I am sure other walkers think I am mad .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 dublin7d7

Great show
    Tommy dropping his girlfriend for the debs, cos having the craic with the lads was his priority for the night and she' d just be getting in the way.
    Classic.
    Bonkers but it's the quintessential Irish lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I like the rambling, people having a casual chat style of this show, although it can also be a bit waffly sometimes. I suppose that's the point really!

If anybody isn't a fan of Hector, Tommy has a podcast on his own.

Very same, rambling, storytelling, grumbling commentary on life.

He picks a theme every episode, last one was anger I think, one about sisters too.

He has a gift for the quiet, lilting, telling stories of divilment.

JCDUB wrote: »
    I like the rambling, people having a casual chat style of this show, although it can also be a bit waffly sometimes. I suppose that's the point really!

If anybody isn't a fan of Hector, Tommy has a podcast on his own.

Very same, rambling, storytelling, grumbling commentary on life.

He picks a theme every episode, last one was anger I think, one about sisters too.

He has a gift for the quiet, lilting, telling stories of divilment.
    I enjoy Tommy's podcasts but they aren't the same really, there is less craic on them. In this podcast, I love things like where they just improvise i.e. naming the girls at the debs. :D:D Or before, just making different cow noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bit behind, but Hector's story about attending an African fertility celebration and the subsequent good fortune that befell Rosco was one of the most emotionally engaging anecdotes I have ever heard. In fact, that whole broadcast live from Crane Bar in Galway was excellent, and I find the podcast essential listening at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Bit behind, but Hector's story about attending an African fertility celebration and the subsequent good fortune that befell Rosco was one of the most emotionally engaging anecdotes I have ever heard. In fact, that whole broadcast live from Crane Bar in Galway was excellent, and I find the podcast essential listening at this stage.

Which episode is that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Beau wrote: »
    Which episode is that one?

Not sure where you listen to the podcasts but the name of it is "The Crane Bar, Galway City, Ireland". It came out on 15th October. Here is the spotify link.

Just listen to them all anyway, there’s not a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Absolutely loved this, listened to them all in a week. Didn't get a huge amount of work done.
    Few times had me in tears laughing. It's like sitting in the pub with the 2 lads just talking whatever nonsense comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Hector is a fascinating guy. Loved his story about going off to live on Inishmaan in his youth to hone his Irish and live on the dole.

New podcast out tomorrow, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Good episode today, but short. Hector losing the rag with the other 2 for slagging his auntys male name was gas.

Advertisement