Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good Primary Schools Cork

Options
  • 30-09-2020 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,

I am new to cork but myself and my husband have decided that we love the city and plan to live here for the foreseeable.

We are currently looking at buying a home; and are thinking of buying off the model farm road in carrigrohane (beside st Oliver's cemetery!).

Being unfamiliar with the area I would love some advice on what Primary school catchment areas this home will be in; and advice around good Primary schools in cork as we do not know any. We will have someone starting school in 2025.

This house will be near Ballincollig; but we may prefer to send our kids to a school in the city if this is possible. I would love to hear recommendations on whether to look at schools in Ballincollig or schools in another area.

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

It depends what you are looking for really. There is a multitude of primary schools in Ballincollig. 1 all girls, 1 all boys, 1 mixed and 2 gaelscoileanna (both mixed). 1 of the gaelscoileanna in particular is oversubscribed, this would be the closest primary school to you if you move to where you mentioned.

If you’re on the model farm road you will also be close to Bishopstown where you would have similar options and also a fee paying private girls national school St Catherine’s that feeds into Mount Mercy.

You will be sufficiently close to the city as well if that is your preference and again both private and non, I’m not sure how places are allocated in the city.

The best thing to do is to take a tour of all the schools (difficult in these times) and see which gives you the best feeling, which aligns with your own approaches to life and education.

Good luck, Cork is a great city, you won’t go wrong where ever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Gemancy wrote: »
    It depends what you are looking for really. There is a multitude of primary schools in Ballincollig. 1 all girls, 1 all boys, 1 mixed and 2 gaelscoileanna (both mixed). 1 of the gaelscoileanna in particular is oversubscribed, this would be the closest primary school to you if you move to where you mentioned.

If you’re on the model farm road you will also be close to Bishopstown where you would have similar options and also a fee paying private girls national school St Catherine’s that feeds into Mount Mercy.

You will be sufficiently close to the city as well if that is your preference and again both private and non, I’m not sure how places are allocated in the city.

The best thing to do is to take a tour of all the schools (difficult in these times) and see which gives you the best feeling, which aligns with your own approaches to life and education.

Good luck, Cork is a great city, you won’t go wrong where ever you choose.
    I didn't think that primary school is fee paying but could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamieak

Thanks so much for that Gemancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

big_drive wrote: »
    I didn't think that primary school is fee paying but could be wrong

Actually you are most likely correct. Not sure why I always thought that it was but just had a quick look there and can’t see anything about fees! You live and learn!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 floydstapleton

yes

• Advertisement
Advertisement