Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Turkey pack

• 03-01-2018 4:01am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been vaping now for 3 years, the problem is I have also been smoking 3 or 4 cigarettes a day as well. I made a decision to vape only from New year and quit completely after two weeks. So far I haven't smoked any cigarettes and am limiting the vape to 10 minutes every hour.

I'm putting together a cold turkey pack for when I stop vapeing completely. So far I have a rubicks cube, a fidget spinner, a puzzle book, polos, chewits, chewing gum and I'm going to freeze some grapes.

I have also ordered Alan Carr's book.

Anything else I can add to my cold turkey pack?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just an update for anyone following. Day 1 - 4 I Vaped my usual 18mg juice. Day 5 I Vaped 0mg juice while reading Allen Carr. Day 6 (today) I discovered the 0mg liquid burned the throat off me, I abandoned the vaping completely today. I'm feeling extremely positive and feel this time I'm going to make it.

Highly recommend Allen Carr to anyone thinking about quitting the fags or vape or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Went cold turkey for 24hrs yesterday had to pick up a smoker tonight and ended up having 2, back to cold turkey in the morning.
    Done the Alan Carr book and show different tablets etc. Cold Turkey this time just need to get 72 nicotine free hrs, midnight Tuesday hopefully free. Shouldn't have had the smoke tonight was nearly half way there.
    Didn't have any cravings think I have the right mentality this time.
    Just think 72hrs nicotine is gone, dump the vape and hide from any smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Clair4

3years off them here , Just decided enough is enough and havent looked back. . fcuk the dirty things you dont need them ... Get over the
    first 2-3weeks cold turkey /&never ever take nicotine again in any form.. Anyway just my experience. . Goodluck with it .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks guys, unfortunately I live with my elderly, infirm mother, who smokes up to 40 a day so avoiding smokers not so easy. One more day and I'll be nicotine free 72 hours. I ended up not using much of the cold turkey pack in the end. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Folks, I think we are as much if not more addicted to what is in effect a babies soother than the nicotine.

Ive been off the smokes for 5 years since I started vaping in August 2012. I moved down the nicotine levels over the last 4 months or so and have been vaping zero mg nicotine juice for the last two months. ie. Ive been nicotine free for two months. The transition between nic levels and even to zero mg juice was painless and easy only noticable in terms of the strength of the throat hit.

I Finally ran out of zero mg juice yesterday.

Ive been climbing the walls for the last 24 hours and broke already when I found an old bottle of 12mg juice in the back of the drawer. Didnt need any nic juice but its all I had.

I caved because I didnt have my zero nic baby soother for 24 hours!

At least with vaping when one falls off the wagon its not like with the cigs where you buy a packet of fags and end up smoking more than before you quit. ie. You dont fall all the way back down the addiction mountain and have to start from scratch all over again. Vaping is like a ledge that catches you before you fall all the way down. The 12mg is making me ill and ill have some 3mg and some zero delivered on Tuesday and Ill pick a better time when my heads in the right place to give up my zero nic baby soother.

• Advertisement

I think vaping is stupid, when someone says oh I don't smoke anymore I want to hit them with a large wet fish. Your just as addicted if not more than you were to smokes.
    Cold turkey is cold turkey, no gimmicks or substitutes.
    Your right about the soother, it's pure habit.

As you can guess I'm still regretting having the smoke last night and struggling a bit today but holding firm. It'll pass. 58hrs left should be 24 grrr.

Holy ****. I'm being lectured by a self righteous cold turkey advocator who failed after 24 hours too!!

When people rail against a strawman imaginary vaper that thinks they aren't addicted, I want to hit them with a wet fish too. No vaper thinks they aren't addicted when the switch to vaping. What they are is much healthier in body and in pocket compared to a smoker. No. we don't do it to look cool except for a few hipster gob****es blowing mushroom clouds. We do it as a step towards giving up nicotine, saving our lungs and saving a fortune in the process. We know we are still little nicotine fiends.

I just thought I'd point out in a self deprecating way how its as much the action of smoking and vaping which is additive as the nicotine itself and how pathetic I was not lasting 24 hours without my zero nic soother.

Thanks for taking that self deprecating openness as your cue to also call me stupid indirectly.

Looks like your going to be one of those annoying self righteous, "I gave up cold turkey, you're pathetic if you can't too" ex smokers when you eventually give up. Yeah, one of Those ex smokers!

Wasn't personal to you I think the same of all vapers...it's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

My gripe with vaping is none of my mates that left fags for vapes has giving up the vape and they were a lot more fun as smokers, they can't go anywhere without a full charge or being close to a charging socket. Stuck in the early hours with no power guess what they'll have a fag but it's ok they can go back on the vape tomorrow as there not smokers.

Your either stopping smoking or your not, moving to "healthier" smoking is still smoking. Call it vaping if it makes your feel better but your still a smoker.
    Vaping is just as addictive if not more and remember smoking was once healthy as well. We have no idea what 20 years or vaping can have on the body let alone the lungs, it's new, it's highly unregulated and it's not something someone should willingly take up and congratulate yourself for.

Being not dependent on anything is really giving up. That's not me being self righteous that's just the facts of the situation.

Cherry is trying to get off both and just there, here's you sure vaping is grand. Seriously wtf dude not what we need to hear, pedal you vape somewhere else.

I gave up twice before, both times for over a year. Both times I hadn't been entirely aware that I was avoiding certain social situations until I inadvertently found myself in them. This time around I'm not actively avoiding anything. I'm just taking everything as it comes. My mother, it turns out is a manipulative saboteur constantly taunting me and telling me I'm full of **** and we'll see this time tomorrow if your still off them etc. etc.

Smoking/vaping is a choice at the end of the day. It's not for me to judge other people's choices.

Most of my friends have successfully quit over the years. I think the trick is just that you have to be in the right mindset for it. I think I am this time around and just taking one day at a time. This is my third day nicotine free now and from here on in all I should have to think about is how stupid it would be to slip up now and have to start all over again.

I'd be crushing some champix into her porridge in the morning, she'll never notice what's happening until it's to late:) I don't know any smoker that could beat them my head just couldn't handle them again, i've taken them a few times. Cold turkey seems like the easy option this time in comparison.

• Advertisement

Peddle my vape elsewhere? I wasn't aware I was peddling anything. I was just relaying my experience that it looks like the act of smoking/vaping is as addictive as the nicotine itself if not even more. If I hadn't felt like I was being put on the defensive after my first self deprecating post I may have gotten around to making the point, that what I thought would be helpful in giving up the habit entirely, ie. Dealing with the nic addiction first and then with the psychological addiction seperately, made the nic easier to give up alright but it was no easier to give up the psychological addiction as I just found out. I may have even made your point for you, that it was beginning to look like seperating them was a waste of a couple of months and it would have been no harder nor easier to have simply gone cold turkey and got it all over with sooner.

Seems like the contribution of vapers is not wanted in the Giving up smoking forum then I guess.

Bit of advice. I don't know why you all are focusing on this magical 72 hours when the nic is out of your systems. Like I said, it was out of my system for 2 months. It seems that the nic is the easy part to give up, is the only real point I've been trying to make. The hard part is the cravings long after there is no trace of nic in your blood when you'd normally reach for the packet in the car at the red lights, or when you have the morning coffee, or when you sit down at the computer or whatever. Focus your will on those times over the next few weeks to break those habits not on this magical 72 hours.

But there are no physical cravings after the nicotine has left your body. It's all in your head at that point. It's just habit that you haven't broken. Ive read you need to do something 18 times for it to become a habit. You need to be creating new habits to replace the old ones.

One of my old habits was vaping in bed for hours. I've replaced it by watching quit smoking meditation type videos on YouTube and it seems to be doing the trick. I suppose at some point I'll switch to some other type of motivational message but quit smoking is doing it for now.

I'd be crushing some champix into her porridge in the morning, she'll never notice what's happening until it's to late:) I don't know any smoker that could beat them my head just couldn't handle them again, i've taken them a few times. Cold turkey seems like the easy option this time in comparison.

:D I quit successfully one time on champix. The second time I tried I got really dizzy and kept seeing stars and spots when I closed my eyes so haven't tried it again since.

Yea it's all in the head after the nicotine is gone. Was thinking i'd go down and buy a box about half an hour ago and put it off for another 24hrs that moment has passed but i'd f'n love a bbq chicken pizza. I'm starving.

So, I'm four months smoke free now and almost 4 months nicotine free. I still think of it from time to time and for a brief second when I smell someone else's smoke I feel I could still reach for one. I haven't though. At this point it's the thought of having to start all over again that puts me off reaching for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

Hi all,

I've been vaping now for 3 years, the problem is I have also been smoking 3 or 4 cigarettes a day as well. I made a decision to vape only from New year and quit completely after two weeks. So far I haven't smoked any cigarettes and am limiting the vape to 10 minutes every hour.

I'm putting together a cold turkey pack for when I stop vapeing completely. So far I have a rubicks cube, a fidget spinner, a puzzle book, polos, chewits, chewing gum and I'm going to freeze some grapes.

I have also ordered Alan Carr's book.

Anything else I can add to my cold turkey pack?

Good Luck.
    I would need a padded cell added to the list :)

Almost 7 months now smoke free and still going strong.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Well done Cherry Blossom. That split second you think about smoking, does it go away as quick for you at this stage?

I'm going through what Calibos described. I gradually brought the nic content down from 18 to zero over a few months and hit zero 2 weeks ago. It's almost laughable how easy it was. The physical side was easy but psychological side with the "Soother" is nuts. I notice it is worse if I'm not having a good day like today. :(

All my nice tasting zero nic juice will be gone by next week. All I have left is this rotten Blackcurrant stuff. Hopefully it helps in dropping the soother!

Hi Mike,

I have a really hard time still getting to sleep at night. I'm putting this down to my habit of lying in bed at night vaping for hours while surfing the Web. I'm doing meditations and while it helps me wind down I still lie awake for ages. I suppose the best way to describe it is like the feeling that you forgot to do something but not sure what it is. This night time botheration is the only time really that I notice any residual cravings.

Hi guys, at 11:50pm I'll be two years smoke free and I'll be two years nicotine free on the fourth. I think I have cracked it this time. Don't think ill ever go back on the evil nicotine now at this stage. This is definitely the longest I've gone without.

• Advertisement

Wish I had have held in there with you Cherry, now on month 3 of champix and still smoking a little bit, admitted defeat to the chemist so going to try another month or two. Hopefully stopped now said I wouldn't smoke tomorrow.
    Tablets definitely not feeling as strong this time. Literally no side effects.

You just have to make the decision and stick to it drunk monkey. It really does get easier as time goes on then. All the threes are hard periods. Three days, three weeks, three months. I don't know why but for me it was definitely true. It was surprisingly easy, I just kept reminding myself that other times it was easy I just had one smoke and messed up the whole plan when it turned out not so easy next time. You will never regret it if you just do it but you will always be full of imagine ifs and regrets if you don't. Good luck with it this time and hopefully it'll be your last attempt at quitting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Best of luck people & hope you kick the habit!

2.5 smokes today, I'm close. I've only 1 left which I know I'm going to have later tonight, can't see me buying any tomorrow current box was bought Sunday when I was hungover and couldn't be dealing with any effort.

Advertisement