Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of jazz song I heard?

• 10-03-2019 5:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

Whatever the name of this song was, it had quite a bit lyrics. It was a female sung jazz song. All I really remember was that it had the lyric "yellow" in it somewhere. I think I heard "cliches" in there too somewhere.

I heard it on RTE Gold at about 2:40 am this morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Could it be a blues song called Young Woman's Blues, that Bessie Smith and Billie Holliday sang (I ain't no high yellow, I'm a deep yellow brown…)?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Correction (sorry - bit distracted last night!). As far as I know Billie Holliday didn't record Young Woman's Blues (and it is more Bessie Smith's bag, though she was a big inspiration for Holliday).

I got confused between two of my favourite numbers, both mentioning yellow. The other one, written and sung by Billie Holliday, is called Brown and Mellow (bit of a clue there!); 'He wears high-draped pants, Stripes are really yellow'. Seems a more likely one, as she's usually classified as a jazz singer (Bessie Smith was more hardcore blues, though usually accompanied by Louis Armstrong). The singing's also more or continuous (the Bessie Smith number has a fairly lengthy instrumental intro).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Found a selection of songs with "yellow" in it, all jazz. Maybe this list will help?

https://www.lyrics.com/serp.php?st=yellow&genre=Jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gloria10

I adore listening Bill Evans Trio at Village Vanguard. Jast every song is a masterpiece !

Advertisement