Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

10 VW Polo - timing chain stretched

• 03-12-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi everyone,

Hope I am in the right forum. Looking for help with a recent issue I am having with my 10-year-old VW polo (107 thousand km). The timing chain has stretched, and the cylinders/pistons damaged. Complete disaster. I did the whole journey with the car, bought it from VW approved garage, and serviced it all the way through with VW approved dealer.

I have contacted Volkswagon they don't care and my dealership is saying that's my only option will cost 2250 to repair, and my car might still might not work which I have to take responsibility for. If I do a trade in, it's only worth €1500.

One of my friends is a mechanic and he thinks the dealer should be fixing it for free/cheaper and that they should stand over the car. He reckons that I should seek legal advice on it as the responsibility lies with them. (he could fix it but said it would be a waste as I have full-service history with VW)

So my question is does anyone have any idea of timing chains and if he is right that I should fight it? Any advice would be welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dealership has no liability or aren’t obliged to do anything on a 10 year old car.

Cheapest option would be to get an independent mechanic to do a replacement engine.

This is not an uncommon issue on these sadly.

Whatever you do, don’t do the €1500 trade in option.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wholesome19

Thanks for coming back to me, so even though I have been with them from the start - they still aren't obliged to the car.

Do you think it would be worth asking them to match a quote from an independent mechanic? I would like to keep it with VW if possible.

Also definitely not doing trade in...do you know if car still valuable if independent mechanic was to fix it (apologies for the millions of Qs)

Car is worth the same as it was last month once it’s fixed.

If garage is doing the work for €2250, I doubt that’s for a whole new engine.
    Try and establish exactly what they’re doing for the money.

Where in the country are you? If in Dublin try the likes of IVI and price a used engine plus new timing chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Unfortunately, that is a popular issue with those Polos, which makes finding a second hand engine very hard, I think your best option is to get the current engine refurbished, whether that by with VW or another provider.

It's disappointing to see this with people who have stayed the course, bought from a dealer and serviced with a dealer right through. If you've been working with the same dealer all along i'd try and put that case to them locally and see they offer the repair for a more competitive price. Dealers can authorise goodwill themselves up to cars 7 years of age but after that point all goodwill is cut off, bar local discount.

Responsibility landing with the dealer is untrue and going legal is an utter waste of time, it's 10 years old, it's your baby. It doesn't take away from the unfortunate nature of things, you done things right in the hope of reliability and it's let you down, that and you'd like to think a chain would last more than 10 years/100k kms. That being said, it is what it is now.

Agree with Colm, trading in wouldn't be the best move here financially.

I would push the dealer for a better price.

I’d be a bit concerned by their assertion that it may not work, and if that’s the case that it’s tough luck.

Surely you’d get a working engine plus a new chain for less? I know they’re hard enough got.

• Advertisement

It sounds like they're saying there been valve/ piston contact and they wont know the full extent until they take the cylinder head off, so the quote may rise.

They're a hard engine to get, lots of subtle variations too. Whatever about a recon engine, a used one might be no better ans still set you back over €1k.

I got a price of a second hand VW polo 09 engine €1500, but I felt that was taking on a risk. - as that could potentially fail & have other issues.

I have a quote from a mechanic who fixes up old cars so he seems to have access to timing chains, said he will fix the lot cylinder, pistons, and chains. Do you think it's worth seeing if they would match his price €1200?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Hi everyone,

One of my friends is a mechanic and he thinks the dealer should be fixing it for free

One of my all time favourite motor trade lines...

See the other side of it is (and i'm not saying go with the main dealer) with a reasonably intricate and invasive job like this you dont want to start a race to the bottom with prices. You'll always find someone who can do it cheaper but you want someone competent working on the car and you want good quality parts used. That way when the job is done the car could last another ten years, as it is relatively low mileage and with a main dealer history i'd expect the rest of it to be in good shape.

sumo12 wrote: »
    One of my all time favourite motor trade lines...

Haha true story!

• Advertisement

Yeah totally, I agree, and to be honest its not a race to the cheapest. - it really isn't...I just want to make sure I'm not being ripped off as I am getting told so many different things.

What I want to really know if the dealer is overcharging for something that should be more cost-effective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

A little bit unrelated but were there any warning signs, eg whining, rough startup/idle etc?

A little bit unrelated but were there any warning signs, eg whining, rough startup/idle etc?

They all do that.

No warning signs at all -which is the worst part, the engine light came in and then the engine started shaking and that was it.

No catastrophic banging etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andrew1300r

Sorry to hear your about your problem but it's totally understandable for a main VW dealer not to entertain you with a 10 year old car. Why should your problems become theirs ??
    Just suck it up & get the engine repaired .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont know anything about those engines but is it possible it just jumped a tooth and needs chain and f all else?

Unlikely, they eat chains for breakfast. Sometimes they skip teeth after the oil is changed and oil pressure drops for a second and even that does them in at times.

Unlikely, they eat chains for breakfast. Sometimes they skip teeth after the oil is changed and oil pressure drops for a second and even that does them in at times.

Jesus. Wouldnt fancy working on too many of them

What does that mean? That its fxxkd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I looked into buying one of these about 12 months ago and decided against it. From what I read back then I seem to remember there was for a time an upgraded replacement chain that could be installed. The original was a single chain, I believe there is or at least was a double chain available as a spare part?

Wake me up when it's all over.

I looked into buying one of these about 12 months ago and decided against it. From what I read back then I seem to remember there was for a time an upgraded replacement chain that could be installed. The original was a single chain, I believe there is or at least was a double chain available as a spare part?

Really manufacturers shouldnt get away with it but at that kind of age there is little to do.
    My own audi tfsi needed a chain. It had oil changes on the button its entire life with the correct oil and still needed a chain at about 130k miles. Id heard about the chain issues but had convinced myself that a properly looked after one wouldnt go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Detritus70

When it comes to fixing the engine, the question is can it be fixed?
    There could be damage to the head, valves, cylinder walls, pistons, con rods, etc...
    I would be weary of anyone promising to fix it for €1200, especially sight unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

Is this the reason why VAG didn't go all out and switch all of their engines from belts to chains?

It's disappointing to hear about this OP and I hope you get it resolved by a proper tech without breaking the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭User1998

OP I bought a 2010 Polo with 110k miles for €1,300 with the same issue as yours. I bought a replacement 2012 engine with 50k miles for €900 and had it fitted for €300. I also put a new timing chain on the replacement engine and changed the oil, the mechanic didn’t charge me for labour for that because the engine was already out of the car, so that was another €250 for parts I think. So about €1,500 or so all in.

Thanks so much for all your help and sharing your knowledge.

Totally agree on the engine as a good option - would be nervous the same could happen to it.

I know I'm moaning here again, but I can't get over the fact that after 10 years of proper approved service and lifecycle it breaks and Volkswagon doesn't give a f* it really just doesn't sit right with me that they are getting away with it.

Like my argument is, that if it was a belt a clutch (they go in cars. - so you just fix them) annoying but it happens. However, there was no I could have fixed this as its meant to be a lifetime part - yet I later find out after it happens that there is an issue with them?! Thats not right that VW arent standing over this.

Like it's somewhat ok for me as I'm only young but what about an elderly lady who buys this thinking it will do them through retirement, and then they get shafted with this cost when they're on the pension. It just doesn't seem right that VW gets away with this!

Also on the topic of reliability - if this was to go on the M50 - would my life have been in danger?! None of this seems right

Thanks so much for all your help and sharing your knowledge.

Totally agree on the engine as a good option - would be nervous the same could happen to it.

I know I'm moaning here again, but I can't get over the fact that after 10 years of proper approved service and lifecycle it breaks and Volkswagon doesn't give a f* it really just doesn't sit right with me that they are getting away with it.

Like my argument is, that if it was a belt a clutch (they go in cars. - so you just fix them) annoying but it happens. However, there was no I could have fixed this as its meant to be a lifetime part - yet I later find out after it happens that there is an issue with them?! Thats not right that VW arent standing over this.

Like it's somewhat ok for me as I'm only young but what about an elderly lady who buys this thinking it will do them through retirement, and then they get shafted with this cost when they're on the pension. It just doesn't seem right that VW gets away with this!

Also on the topic of reliability - if this was to go on the M50 - would my life have been in danger?! None of this seems right

You are right. When chains were found to give trouble, they should have started changing these chains if not as a recall, then during scheduled servicing or at a very minimal, they should have advised of a service interval for the chain as opposed to just allowing failures at customer cost.

Someone with a 5 year old one would be well advised to take a case. At the age of yours, i dont see much point.

mickdw wrote: »
    You are right. When chains were found to give trouble, they should have started changing these chains if not as a recall, then during scheduled servicing or at a very minimal, they should have advised of a service interval for the chain as opposed to just allowing failures at customer cost.

Someone with a 5 year old one would be well advised to take a case. At the age of yours, i don't see much point.

Yeah, and to be honest I know it's an old car I get that, but even to offer the parts/stand over the repair of the car & I pay a contribution would be enough. I just think it's completely unfair that the whole car is gone and I'm left with a huge bill and Volkswagen get away with supplying faulty vehicles.

It's a tought one. A bit of a cliche, but nothing lasts forever. 10 year old car breaks down. Sure if it was a mobile phone or a tv or a fridge freezer you'd say to yourself it's aged and it owes me little at this stage.

I do get your point though, i think as a general rule though cars are becoming less and less relaible and less built to last in general.

The manufacturer will not care after ten years though, if it has been a lesser amount of time they likely would have made a contribution to repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It's a tought one. A bit of a cliche, but nothing lasts forever. 10 year old car breaks down. Sure if it was a mobile phone or a tv or a fridge freezer you'd say to yourself it's aged and it owes me little at this stage.

I do get your point though, i think as a general rule though cars are becoming less and less relaible and less built to last in general.

The manufacturer will not care after ten years though, if it has been a lesser amount of time they likely would have made a contribution to repair.

I think the OP's point is that if it was a know wear item and included as part of the service schedule then he'd have had it replaced whenever the service interval indicated.

At this stage its pretty obvious that the timing change on those cars is a service item and does need replacing. The only problem is no one knows how long they will last as I can remember reading of some going at less than 50k miles.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement