Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post, unlimited Data/calls/texts for 15€month

• 02-12-2020 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya

My mam needs a new phone and is currently payg with vodaphone, paying 25 per month for unlimited calls and some data.

She has WiFi in house so data use would be minimal.
    I have just purchased a phone/switch number package on line with an post mobile.

All that was required was number and network, so I'm wondering how exactly am I going to be able to swap her number into this new sim? Is it a smooth process or a head wrecker.

The last time I changed network everything was done for me in the shop, hopefully I will be able to keep all her numbers.

Any opinions on this deal/network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You can do it in a post office or just ring them up. Took a few mins for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

48 is only 8 per month..........it’s a no brainer for gods sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

BENDYBINN wrote: »

But do they have unlimited data/calls/texts?

JJayoo wrote: »
    But do they have unlimited data/calls/texts?

No but neither does post mobile, it's FUP 50Gb

BENDYBINN wrote: »

I was on gomo, sick of no service and unusable internet.
    Tried 48, found it a feast or famine. Great or poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 AlanPG

@OP

I switched from VF to Postmobile and its working well for me.

You need to make sure her phone is unlocked. You will also probably need to change the APN settings. There is a guide on the postmobile website as to how to do this. Its straightforward though you need to take care that you are putting in the exact details.

It took a while for the APN to go live for me for some reason - about half a day. I think this was specific to my phone, perhaps some cache issue. It appears for most people that its immediate.

Postmoble customer support are very helpful and I was only a couple of minutes getting through when I rang them.

On a speedtest the data is slightly slower than VF, although its not noticeable in practical use.

For me I'm glad I switched as I am paying half what I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hiya

My mam needs a new phone and is currently payg with vodaphone, paying 25 per month for unlimited calls and some data.

She has WiFi in house so data use would be minimal.
    I have just purchased a phone/switch number package on line with an post mobile.

All that was required was number and network, so I'm wondering how exactly am I going to be able to swap her number into this new sim? Is it a smooth process or a head wrecker.

The last time I changed network everything was done for me in the shop, hopefully I will be able to keep all her numbers.

Any opinions on this deal/network?

Is it not 20 per month for unlimited calls and texts and 10gb of data with VF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

That's Chat Extra which is 20e / 4 weeks.

The 25e plan is probably a legacy SIM only plan that VF are happy to keep selling even though there are cheaper options available.

There are a couple of options...

1. Move to VF Chat Extra 20e plan

2. Move to PM 15e plan (similar plan to option 1)

3. Try out 48 7.99 plan (free to try 1GB for a week)

IMO option 2 is a good compromise for the savings versus VF.
    You can still try 48 just to see what coverage is like without committing to anything as it's PAYG.

Make sure to buy an unlocked phone to allow using a SIM from any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

I tried An Post Mobile but switched to Tesco Mobile in the end. The signal where I'm living (Crumlin) wasn't great, and the web portal for managing your account is basic to say the least. TM have a mobile app that you can use to track usage, top up etc and signal/internet has been excellent.

I tried An Post Mobile but switched to Tesco Mobile in the end. The signal where I'm living (Crumlin) wasn't great, and the web portal for managing your account is basic to say the least. TM have a mobile app that you can use to track usage, top up etc and signal/internet has been excellent.

48 coverage should be similar to TM but costs 7e less and lasts a full month while TM is 28 days duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

Ten Pin wrote: »
    48 coverage should be similar to TM but costs 7e less and lasts a full month while TM is 28 days duration.

in a year some months we have 31 days some have 30 days and one or two have 28 days wats the difference in losing one two or three days if its a better network your on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

tipptom wrote: »

They have a few offer for Christmas, you also get first month free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

in a year some months we have 31 days some have 30 days and one or two have 28 days wats the difference in losing one two or three days if its a better network your on

So it's not just cellular telephony you have a vague understanding of.

They have a few offer for Christmas, you also get first month free

VF have a couple of offers that look better value than anything in PM shop. Depends what phone you might have in mind.

Eg Samsung A21s is 90e from VF and 129e from PM.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-phones.html?c_id=christmas&c_name=christmas&c_source=offers-page&c_medium=other&c_content=see-all-phones&c_term=view-phones&c_type=offers-page

The VF offers are switching offers so you'll need a spare SIM to get the deal. Some of the phones on offer are unlocked so you'd need to check that out before hand...thread here...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058031922&page=77

That won't affect any move to PM 15e plan which can be done separate to any phone purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

:):):):)
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    So it's not just cellular telephony you have a vague understanding of.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

It's not a better network though. 48 and Tesco Mobile are both on Three's network

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

VF have a couple of offers that look better value than anything in PM shop. Depends what phone you might have in mind.

Eg Samsung A21s is 90e from VF and 129e from PM.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-phones.html?c_id=christmas&c_name=christmas&c_source=offers-page&c_medium=other&c_content=see-all-phones&c_term=view-phones&c_type=offers-page

The VF offers are switching offers so you'll need a spare SIM to get the deal. Some of the phones on offer are unlocked so you'd need to check that out before hand...thread here...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058031922&page=77

That won't affect any move to PM 15e plan which can be done separate to any phone purchase.
    PM SIMs work in phones locked to Vodafone so you wouldn't have to worry about unlocking in any case.

I did a speed test today with 2 phones, VF and PM. Both had near identical upload and download speeds: 40-41 down, 11up. Ping for VF 23, ping for PM 71.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭deezell

But its not one or two, its a full 29 days, which means 13 payments per year (plus a day, 2 in a leap year), instead of 12 monthly payments in any year. AnPost increase the 28 days to Monthly for free if you pay by DD, equivalent to
    8% discount.

Quackster wrote: »
    PM SIMs work in phones locked to Vodafone so you wouldn't have to worry about unlocking in any case.

If you're trying to port to PM with same 087 number you used to get a VF phone offer, VF will refuse to port as the number is offer tied, so you'd have to get a new PM 087 number.

• Advertisement

If you're trying to port to PM with same 087 number you used to get a VF phone offer, VF will refuse to port as the number is offer tied, so you'd have to get a new PM 087 number.

Do you mean they won't release a number used for a PAYG handset port in offer? Only 087? Only when switching to PM?

That seems odd as the initial offer conditions would have been complied with.

Do you mean they won't release a number used for a PAYG handset port in offer? Only 087? Only when switching to PM?

That seems odd as the initial offer conditions would have been complied with.

If it's a payg phone offer, without any minumum credit requirement or a payg direct debit to your existing VF number, you're fine, in that case the catch is usually the network lock is a mimimum of a year or something. If your VF payg number is not involved, then it's not associated with the deal, and won't be flagged when you try to port it to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

I must be getting old I haven't understood this thread page at all.

gussieg wrote: »
    I must be getting old I haven't understood this thread page at all.
    Haha, I'm ancient but it's right up my street. It's about the pros and cons (cons literally sometimes) of low cost mobile Call minutes and Data deals. The discounters are using the 3 national providers, Vodafone, Eir and Three, so how can Tesco mobile be better than their provider Three, or AnPost Mobile (PM) outdo Vodafone, the network used by PM. Answers on an envelope, or here even. Tricks like 28 day instead of monthly top ups, or limiting data rate on 'unlimited' plans. Low, or no priority on congested cell towers, relegation to 3G, and so on. The Original poster wants to know if AnPost €15 deal is good. So do I, tomorrow I'm dumping Eir, the non existent support provider.

And many will argue that xxx is cheaper. But look over in the 48 or gomo thread and you'll find pro and cons of them. For me, PM offers a good consistent middle ground. I always have service, internet is consistent and enough data in 50Gb.
    The only cons are high ping times (which won't affect many)

TheDriver wrote: »
    And many will argue that xxx is cheaper. But look over in the 48 or gomo thread and you'll find pro and cons of them. For me, PM offers a good consistent middle ground. I always have service, internet is consistent and enough data in 50Gb.
    The only cons are high ping times (which won't affect many)

My PM sim on it's way. Only 4G service in my area with good to fair, others are fringe. The comreg map is very handy.
    https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map?location=53.3526827,-6.7652384&technology=4g&network=postmobile&place_id=

deezell wrote: »
    My PM sim on it's way. Only 4G service in my area with good to fair, others are fringe. The comreg map is very handy.
    https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map?location=53.3526827,-6.7652384&technology=4g&network=postmobile&place_id=
    You won't be disappointed. That map is rubbish, says I should have perfect 3G eir and it was barely 2G

Accurate for me, says my eir is rubbish!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

deezell wrote: »
    Yeah, you use a burner SIM to port to Vodafone to bag the offer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement