Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-12-2019, 16:42   #226
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by morchgally View Post
For each recipe click the slider at the bottom of the ingredients page to metric for UK measurements.
drives me insane, a fcuking "half cup of butter".

I thought I hit onto a great idea by putting into google -cup in my searches, but the yank bastards shorten it to c,

5 tbsp butter softened
1 c sugar
3/4 c flour

bunch of lazy cu....ps
Advertisement
11-12-2019, 19:33   #227
RoYoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post

I thought I hit onto a great idea by putting into google -cup in my searches, but the yank bastards shorten it to c,

5 tbsp butter softened
1 c sugar
3/4 c flour

bunch of lazy cu....ps
You need to watch US recipes carefully. A cup of butter is not the same weight as a cup of flour or sugar eg. Not to mention that a US cup is different to a metric cup or an Australian cup!

If you have an Alexa Dot, it's a great way of getting recipe conversions - just be sure to specify what the ingredient is. What gets me most is the likes of a cup of grated carrots or mashed banana or honey. Seriously, do they actually put stuff like that into a cup? Weight is a far better and more accurate measure of anything, especially for baking.
(3) thanks from:
11-12-2019, 20:56   #228
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoYoBo View Post
If you have an Alexa Dot, it's a great way of getting recipe conversions - just be sure to specify what the ingredient is. .
Great tip, Ive just spent the last few minutes asking Alexa to convert various ingredients from cups to grams and she seems to know her stuff. No more googling for the answer
Thanks from:
11-12-2019, 22:19   #229
loyatemu

The Americans do love their weird measures...

11-12-2019, 22:36   #230
rubadub

Quote:
A cup of butter is not the same weight as a cup of flour or sugar eg..
what is way worse is the fact that 1 cup of say odlums flour can be a different weight than another cup of odlums flour, using the exact same cup. As dry ingredients are compressible they can be denser, or more airy if say the bag was shaken up a bit.

What is astonishing is when this is explained to some Americans, instead of them accepting it as a flaw which they had never considered I have actually seen them turn it around as a reason NOT to use weight based recipes!!!, with this bizarre logic "oh thanks for that, a cup is a cup, I did not realise they might weigh different so I will stick to the recipe as written".
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-12-2019, 14:45   #231
vidapura

Quote:
Originally Posted by morchgally View Post
The app name has changed to "Remote control for smart wifi" but is the first hit for me when searching for "instant pot"
Ahh yah, Pot arrived this morning with the postman.
Wouldn't yah know it but the QR code for the app is right there on the front !!!
12-12-2019, 14:48   #232
vidapura

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
they're releasing a new app next week apparently. The current one isn't great - it includes loads of recipes for their other products with no way of filtering.
Yah, don't think much of the app .. first recipe I looked at was for Southern BBQ Chicken.

It has 4 ingredients.. oil, water, chicken AND 1 jar of Instant Pot Southern BBQ sauce....

Ahh come ON...
Thanks from:
12-12-2019, 18:14   #233
Peig Sayers

In Lidl from Mon 23rd!

1000w multi-functional pressure cooker 5.6L - €59.99

Can't post pic, too large. In the latest brochure

Last edited by Peig Sayers; 12-12-2019 at 18:22.
Thanks from:
13-12-2019, 11:59   #234
vidapura

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post

5 tbsp butter softened
1 c sugar
3/4 c flour

bunch of lazy cu....ps
This book on Amazon says its:

"Fully adapted for UK home cooks with metric measurements"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-12-2019, 20:12   #235
vidapura

These guys have a few free books that might be of interest.
Not just for IP but air fryer as well.

https://www.recipethis.com/ebooks/

Just used their Roast Beef recipe to do a lump of round roast.
And their rosemary roast potatoes from the air fryer..

For the rare Sunday dinner I'd normally go for a premium cut like Rib Eye.. cos I like it rare and tender... but its bloody expensive.. so I don't get to do beef that often. Generally Sunday Roast means the more affordable Chicken.

Well, thats all changed now.. the round roast came out amazingly tender... really great.
A totally different beast to the dry tough round roast you get out of the oven.

We'll be having roast beef far more often now, a 7 buck round roast is a very doable alternative to a roast chicken.
Especially when it comes out juicy and gorgeous.

I added to the recipe by changing the 1 cup up water into 1 cup of beef stock and a few finely diced shallots.
Then when the beef was resting I turned on Saute and added a bit of a roux to make a nice thick gravy.
Well received ...

Oh, and not having a steamer rack, I just put some veggies in a tinfoil bag (with some butter) and plonked it in on top of the beef before starting the cooking. They came out perfect too.. not mush, just a nice bite to them.

Now if anyone can point me at a good set of accessories for the IP I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by vidapura; 15-12-2019 at 20:17.
(3) thanks from:
16-12-2019, 09:51   #236
loyatemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidapura View Post
These guys have a few free books that might be of interest.
Not just for IP but air fryer as well.

https://www.recipethis.com/ebooks/

Just used their Roast Beef recipe to do a lump of round roast.
And their rosemary roast potatoes from the air fryer..

For the rare Sunday dinner I'd normally go for a premium cut like Rib Eye.. cos I like it rare and tender... but its bloody expensive.. so I don't get to do beef that often. Generally Sunday Roast means the more affordable Chicken.

Well, thats all changed now.. the round roast came out amazingly tender... really great.
A totally different beast to the dry tough round roast you get out of the oven.

We'll be having roast beef far more often now, a 7 buck round roast is a very doable alternative to a roast chicken.
Especially when it comes out juicy and gorgeous.

I added to the recipe by changing the 1 cup up water into 1 cup of beef stock and a few finely diced shallots.
Then when the beef was resting I turned on Saute and added a bit of a roux to make a nice thick gravy.
Well received ...

Oh, and not having a steamer rack, I just put some veggies in a tinfoil bag (with some butter) and plonked it in on top of the beef before starting the cooking. They came out perfect too.. not mush, just a nice bite to them.

Now if anyone can point me at a good set of accessories for the IP I'd appreciate it.
was that using the "4-minute beef" method (4 mins on high, then NPR)
16-12-2019, 10:23   #237
vidapura

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
was that using the "4-minute beef" method (4 mins on high, then NPR)
Ehh.. haven't heard about that one.. (but would like to)
High? as in pressure yeah?

It was just their very straighforward one:

https://www.recipethis.com/instant-pot-beef-roast/

One thing that annoyed me was it (and a lot of recipes dont) didn't say whether to put it on low, or high pressure.

I'm still very new to this thing.. what is the "less, normal, more" bit ??
I get that if you push a setting button (like Meat Stew) a coupla a times it moves it from less to more.. but is it just increasing cooking time yeah?

Thanks
16-12-2019, 10:57   #238
RoYoBo

Quote:
One thing that annoyed me was it (and a lot of recipes dont) didn't say whether to put it on low, or high pressure.

I'm still very new to this thing.. what is the "less, normal, more" bit ??
I get that if you push a setting button (like Meat Stew) a coupla a times it moves it from less to more.. but is it just increasing cooking time yeah?

Thanks
If a recipe doesn't specify low pressure, the default is High - most recipes are high IME.

As for the Less, Normal High - these are for the Adjust button and relate to temperature and time on other settings, not pressure. https://youtu.be/_Xi7mL2PdiU

Last edited by RoYoBo; 16-12-2019 at 10:57. Reason: Link
Thanks from:
16-12-2019, 16:33   #239
vidapura

Quote:
If a recipe doesn't specify low pressure, the default is High - most recipes are high IME.

As for the Less, Normal High - these are for the Adjust button and relate to temperature and time on other settings, not pressure. https://youtu.be/_Xi7mL2PdiU
Thanks for that.
My one is a Duo so doesn't have the Adjust button.

I've finally found a proper beginners guide from Instant Pot UK's facebook page...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r345336h2w...Guide.pdf?dl=0

Usual story.. I always suffer from not having a facebook account.. but I don't care. Still I'd say if you have FB thats one to follow:

https://www.facebook.com/instantpotUK
Thanks from:
16-12-2019, 20:16   #240
RoYoBo

Quote:
Thanks for that.
My one is a Duo so doesn't have the Adjust button.

I've finally found a proper beginners guide from Instant Pot UK's facebook page...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r345336h2w...Guide.pdf?dl=0

Usual story.. I always suffer from not having a facebook account.. but I don't care. Still I'd say if you have FB thats one to follow:

https://www.facebook.com/instantpotUK
I have 2 IPs - both Duo, but the older one has the Adjust button and the newer one just has + and -, which do the same job.

As for Facebook, I just have an account for groups like the IP one - make up a name and attach a unique email address to it for handiness. I can't be bothered with any other FB feature, but the groups are great The IP one has great recipes and information in the files - well worth being on it until one gets to grips with the pot.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion