Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PlayStation Classic

• 26-12-2018 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi Argos have the Sony PlayStation Classic for 59.99 great price 884/2071

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

scrachie wrote: »
    Hi Argos have the Sony PlayStation Classic for 59.99 great price 884/2071

Think everyone is doing it as this price. Unfortunate for anyone who paid full price two days ago for a new product only released this month

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Most places should be covered by an extension for return of unwanted items if you over paid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Guffy

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Think everyone is doing it as this price. Unfortunate for anyone who paid full price two days ago for a new product only released this month

If you got it in smyths, once unopened, bring it back in return it and rebuy it.

If its opened you can always chance your arm and say your going to rebuy it.

Everybody is offloading it because it's a poor seller and was critically panned. Sony manufactured tonnes thinking it will be the next Nintendo Classic - without any of the care or effort that Nintendo went to.
    Will be under €50 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

£50 delivered on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Considering how much of a flop it is, I would spend that money on a raspberry Pi and install a better PS1 emulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

Thanks Op. I think it's beginning to make sense at that price. The hardware is nice, just a pity about the games. Now if there was only some way to get more on there...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Boradriver wrote: »
    Thanks Op. I think it's beginning to make sense at that price. The hardware is nice, just a pity about the games. Now if there was only some way to get more on there...

Lots of ways and it's easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

Lots of ways and it's easy.

Yeah, the play from USB stick option looks good. I'd love to try Colin McRae rally and Gran Turismo 2 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

So you hack this and put RetroArch on it.......but the specs of it are actually inferior to a SNES mini or a Pi 3? The controllers aren't even dualshock......gonna wait to see if it drops in price some more personally.

Was never ever worth €100....more like €30-€40.

Here's a direct link by the way:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8842071.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Wow, doesn't even include a power supply!
    With an RRP of €99 that's an absolute joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

To be fair 50 quid for Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, GTA I reckon that's your money worth there, is the console badly built or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There’s a thread on the console over in the PS forum. Gives a flavour of the lack of popularity if the device.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057912507/1/#post108121477

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Arstechnica named it the most disappointing device of the year. And that’s impressive because Facebook launched their Portal spy device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rapul wrote: »
    To be fair 50 quid for Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, GTA I reckon that's your money worth there, is the console badly built or something?

It's a totally substandard emulator and some of the games run far slower than they did on the original hardware, which is unacceptable.

Sony took short cuts just assuming it would sell regardless and now they're paying for it.

You're way better off getting a Pi3 for proper PS1 emulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Unless you want this as a collectors item on a shelf there are much better wats to play ps1 games, including buying a ps1 second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Can Sony rectify the emulation via some sort of update or is it stuck with the ****e emulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Can Sony rectify the emulation via some sort of update or is it stuck with the ****e emulator?
    There's no way for it to connect to the internet to receive an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

theShire wrote: »
    Wow, doesn't even include a power supply!
    With an RRP of €99 that's an absolute joke!

Nintendo is the same. Most TVs have a USB port anyway so not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Saw this post on Reddit today, seems like you can put more games on it.

Can't post the link but it's on the resident evil subreddit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bloody infuriating the dual shock doesn't rumble especially with Metal Gear Solid being one of the twenty games

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

There's no way for it to connect to the internet to receive an update.

You can run updates via usb, doesnt need internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sony took short cuts just assuming it would sell regardless and now they're paying for it

How so?

It sold very well. They’ll probably see it as a success to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

callaway92 wrote: »
    How so?

Successes don't have a near 50% price drop within a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do the retailers have that much margin?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do the retailers have that much margin?
    Retailers generally wouldn't but there can be an SOA (sales-out allowance) from the distributor where the retailer can claim back from products sold. Only if an SOA offer is in place for the retailer, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

callaway92 wrote: »
    How so?

No it didn't, hence huge price cuts within a few weeks of release.

It sold a fraction of what both Nintendo mini consoles sold and got weak to mediocre reviews.

It's a flop, sales are bad and it makes Sony look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

If anyone thinks about buying it, I strongly recommend watching this video first:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU0dn9pRKuw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Are the controllers original quality?

It's nearly worth it for the controllers and the tinkering aspect I guess.

I'm sure some ****ing genius still get patched games ruining flawlessly on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

No it didn't, hence huge price cuts within a few weeks of release.

It sold a fraction of what both Nintendo mini consoles sold and got weak to mediocre reviews.

It's a flop, sales are bad and it makes Sony look bad.

To be honest, I think the only people buying this are modders. I'll buy when it's fully modded.

A VERY cynical cash grab that, thankfully, backfired big time.

Advertisement