Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

• 01-05-2016 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

bk wrote: »
    Fantastic deal IMO from Lycamobile.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle

Ireland Plus - €15 per month:
    - 20GB 3G Data
    - Unlimited any network (including landlines) calls [1]
    - Unlimited texts [1]
    - Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK and US [2] [3]
    - Free calls and texts to Lyca numbers in Poland + Romania

I have to say, an absolutely brilliant deal, totally blows Tesco Mobile out of the water, specially as Tesco Mobile seems to be going down the drain now [4]

And add to all that very good rates for calling and texting international numbers.

[1] Seems to be 8,000 minutes calls and texts Fair Usage Policy, plenty IMO.
    [2] http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card
    [3] Calls and texts, but not data, but Lyca also has very good value add on bundles for data roaming too:
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf
    [4] Tesco Mobile has started randomly cutting off people with no warning (phone just stops working) for "security" reasons, massive amounts of controversy about it over on the TM forum, people are extremely unhappy. Also customer support has gone to the dogs and their roaming rates are terrible (many people think they maybe against the new EU roaming rules, they have been reported to Irish and EU regulators!).

I've just moved myself and the gf from TM to this Lyca deal and very happy so far.

Seems like Lycamobile have made some changes recently to their 15 euro bundle to make it a better bundle than tesco offering with their 10Gb data bundle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭phester28

it seems that national calls only means land line. other mobile still cost 29c per min. As far as I know tesco is free all mobile calls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ahhhh, i assumed national calls meant all calls within Ireland. That suddenly makes it sound unattractive

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

I was just going to ask that , is there any offer for mobile calls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

are you sure its only landlines as they also state national texts? I can't see anything on their website to clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

From reading their T&Cs think Irish mobile calls are included!
    Lycamobile - Call the world for less
    Bundles
    Sort byDefault
    Roaming
    Unbeatable Pay As You Go Plans
    stacked full of minutes, texts and data!
    National Bundles
    €15
    /30 Days
    Ireland Plus

UnlimitedNational Mins
    Unlimited National Text
    10 GB National Data
    More
    Buy
    Existing Customer
    BUY HERE
    €9
    /30 Days
    National S
    300 National Mins
    300 National Text
    1 GB National Data
    More
    Buy
    Existing Customer
    BUY HERE
    €9
    /30 Days
    Talk & Text S
    450 National Mins
    450 National Text
    More
    Buy
    Existing Customer
    BUY HERE
    €4
    /30 Days
    Text S

500 National Text
    More
    Buy
    Existing Customer
    BUY HERE

SEE ALL BUNDLES
    SEE ALL BUNDLES

See More
    Terms and conditions
    Lycamobile
    Cheap Calls Abroad
    General Group
    Help
    Other Services
    Contact usSitemapTerms & Conditions

Change
    Country
    Group Site
    Lycamobile

© Lycamobile 2016 Back To TopScroll Down

Lycamobile bundles are valid for 30 days from the date of purchase. The bundle will be renewed after 30 days when enough account balance is available (or will be taken from the card if you buy through online). Usage beyond the limit/ after bundle expiry will be charged at standard rate. In bundle data usage is rounded up and charged in 1KB increments. Once the data allowance of a bundle has been fully used, additional data usage will be charged at €0.09/MB.

Allowance:

Your inclusive allowance can be used to make:
    calls to standard Ireland landlines;
    calls to standard Ireland mobile numbers;
    Text message to standard Ireland mobile numbers;
    Mobile data usage in Ireland.
    Non-inclusive usage includes:
    Calls to premium, non- geographic Ireland & international numbers;
    International Standard Roaming;
    International Text message.
    Each bundle could be purchased via a one off payment using the existing top up balance. You will be activating only one type of plan at a time. All plans will be auto renewed on expiry, therefore customers must keep the required balance to auto renew the plan, unless it's been cancelled by dialling *190#. Any unused minutes/Texts or data allowance after the validity period will not be carried forward.
    Lycamobile reserve the right to amend or vary the terms of this promotion, or to withdraw this plan at any time on a reasonable notice. Any illegal, misuse or unethical activity will result in immediate suspension of the service or the activities that considered as illegitimate usage will result in barring the service.

From 28/01/2016 the Ireland Plus bundle includes Unlimited Lyca to Lyca texts.
    close

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/termsandconditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Seen this last week on their site but couldn't find a deal expiry date. Wouldn't be bothered moving if its going to be 25 or 30 in 2 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭phester28

its not terribly clear. From the last line "the Ireland plus bundle includes unlimited Lyca to Lyca texts" Unless this means international then it seems to counter an all mobile scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Seen this last week on their site but couldn't find a deal expiry date. Wouldn't be bothered moving if its going to be 25 or 30 in 2 months time.

I would agree. I was with them before and found the data speeds to be variable. If they have fixed this then the 10 GB is tempting but will probably stick with TM

physioman wrote: »
    I would agree. I was with them before and found the data speeds to be variable. If they have fixed this then the 10 GB is tempting but will probably stick with TM

They are mean't be to be using the same network as TM, are the speeds variable on TM too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

No tethering allowed :(

• Advertisement

aphex™ wrote: »
    No tethering allowed :(

But is it monitored? Most networks don't permit it but don't actually do anything to stop you doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Isn't tethering outdated anyway when you can use your phone as a wifi hotspot.

kn wrote: »
    Isn't tethering outdated anyway when you can use your phone as a wifi hotspot.

That is tethering wirelessly.

Wonder what is the best way to port in to a sim only plan. Is it order a prepay sim and call them when I get it or register for the sim only plan and call them to port the number over when it arrives? Anyone here have any experience with Lyca?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

FrostyJim wrote: »
    They are mean't be to be using the same network as TM, are the speeds variable on TM too?

Yeah but speeds were different. Strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

When lyca first launched in Ireland, there was a megathread in BA about it, and every month their offer changed and people got stung when prices changed or allowances were cut. We all like a bargain but it's a pain to check their site every month to see what has changed.

As for their data, I got a new lyca sim last month actually to test it out. They do their own call and data routing.

Data speeds are VERY erratic, every speedtest I did it was bouncing between 1 and 15mbit during the test, it's a very unreliable speed.
    Data connectivity would often just vanish for a few minutes altogether. Reboots wouldn't fix it. Their data would just simply stop working for a while.
    Downloads from the play store would be pretty slow too, they only got fast when I ran a VPN.

Also your phone credit expires 90 days after topping up.

It's such a pain of a network

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Vodamoan

Its €15pm and includes land and mobile calls. 10gig is good but its only 3g and it's a slow 3g at that. Their customer service staff are rude to put it mildly..... I'm a customer so I know firsthand. You gets what you pays for!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Fantastic deal IMO from Lycamobile.

Ireland Plus - €15 per month:
    - 20GB 3G Data
    - Unlimited any network (including landlines) calls [1]
    - Unlimited texts [1]
    - Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK and US [2] [3]
    - Free calls and texts to Lyca numbers in Poland + Romania

I have to say, an absolutely brilliant deal, totally blows Tesco Mobile out of the water, specially as Tesco Mobile seems to be going down the drain now [4]

And add to all that very good rates for calling and texting international numbers.

[1] Seems to be 8,000 minutes calls and texts Fair Usage Policy, plenty IMO.
    [2] http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card
    [3] Calls and texts, but not data, but Lyca also has very good value add on bundles for data roaming too:
    [4] Tesco Mobile has started randomly cutting off people with no warning (phone just stops working) for "security" reasons, massive amounts of controversy about it over on the TM forum, people are extremely unhappy. Also customer support has gone to the dogs and their roaming rates are terrible (many people think they maybe against the new EU roaming rules, they have been reported to Irish and EU regulators!).

I've just moved myself and the gf from TM to this Lyca deal and very happy so far.
    biebiebie wrote: »
    For anyone ordering a new sim.
    Use the code LYCA20 when ordering your Sim.
    I waited until my first bundle purchase and the code wouldn't work. I could only use LYCA10. So order the Sim along with the bundle of your choice and use the promo code then.

I've filled out the online complaint form as I believe that the LYCA20 advert on their website is misleading for new customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

What network do they use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

bk, can you post speedtest results for Lyca's 3G data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Three.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Love the footnotes, OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Also, simply top-up today to enjoy free 5GB data until 30 June. http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/5gb-bonus-data

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Three.

The old o2 network, same as Tesco Mobile, 48 Months, etc.

o2 is now owned by Three and they are consolidating the networks, but they still aren't using the entire Three network, nor do they have 4G, same with the other MVNO's

I'll do a speed test later, but I wouldn't expect anything spectacular, probably the same as Tesco. Grand for basic surfing, but I wouldn't do a massive amounts of HD video or try and use it as a replacement for home broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Have to say that it is a fabulous deal for the money and certainly blows TM out of the water. TM have gone stale over the last 12 months having been the innovator in the industry prior to that. I am sure they will respond. I will be staying with them for the foreseeable as my clubcard points (including from the credit card) more than cover all my call/text/data requirements without costing me for a penny. But if that were not the case then I would be gone to Lycamobile as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

[3] Calls and texts, but not data, but Lyca also has very good value add on bundles for data roaming too.

I find their website to be quite poor for finding info.

Any ideas how much a roaming data add-on costs for say Spain?

Any ideas how much a roaming data add-on costs for say Spain?

Data Roaming Add On details here:

For Spain:
    - 50MB €1.99
    - 250MB €5
    - 500MB €7
    - 1GB €12

All valid for 30 days.
    I find their website to be quite poor for finding info.

I couldn't agree more, terrible website, with a massive amount of different deals and not really clear what is included in each deal. Just makes it all confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

One question I have. When you click More on the bundle it shows the breakdown of the package.

Mins - Unlimited (National Mins) and Unlimited Lyca to Lyca calls in Ireland. To me it looks like the second part is redundant. Does Unlimited National Mins include all mobile & landline calls?

I'm with Tesco Mobile so probably using the same network. I only move around Dublin but I find the data to be great. It's 3G alright. I get about 13Mb/s max down on it. Fast enough for anything I use on my mobile. The most intensive for me might be Youtube streaming or tethering my laptop for work. For me I'd definitely take 15Gb Tesco or 20Gb Lyca at 3G instead of 3Gb or 7Gb at 4G from competitors. It's great being able to leave 3G on and not have to watch my usage each month.

One question I have. When you click More on the bundle it shows the breakdown of the package.

Mins - Unlimited (National Mins) and Unlimited Lyca to Lyca calls in Ireland. To me it looks like the second part is redundant. Does Unlimited National Mins include all mobile & landline calls?

That is what I meant by the website being badly designed and confusing. Yes the Lyca to Lyca calls and texts are redundant *

However I can confirm that I've called and texted various mobiles and landlines on different networks and on the usage on my account they are all marked as zero cost, with just the 8,000 FUP finger decreasing with each one.

In fact, I've no credit on the phone beyond the bundle I bought, so these calls wouldn't even work otherwise.

* It is possible that Lyca to lyca calls and texts aren't included in the 8,000 FUP, thus explaining it.

• Advertisement

So I just did a speed test, 2.3mb/s down, 1.3mb/s up, nothing special. I tested Tesco Mobile at the same time and got almost the same result.

So certainly nothing special and it might well be much faster in other areas, but fine for my needs.

Advertisement