Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl: 32" Full HD TV with MPEG4 Tuner - 3rd Feb

• 27-01-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Here's an up and coming deal from Lidl.
    Deal starts on the 3rd of february.
    €299.99
    Full HD LCD TV with MPEG4 Tuner.
    Bargain, considering I bought the exact same thing for €380 in the January sales just because it was a name brand.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.index

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

The TV link (404 error) seems to be down for me. I was trying to take a look at the specs...

could be this model:

http://www.eireshop.ie/products/view/6877/32inchFullHDLCDTVwithMPEG4Tuner.html

32inch FullHD LCD TV with MPEG4 Tuner

Experience the future in Digital Terrestrial TV (DTT) with this state of the art FullHD TV with MPEG4 tuner!
    4 HDMI connections with HDCP decoding for high quality digital video and audio signal playback
    2 USB 2.0 ports for accessing video & picture files on any memory stick or hard drive
    With CI+ slot for accessing future Pay TV channels
    Also ideal as a PC monitor (VGA input)
    Suitable for tabletop use or wall-mounting (wall bracket not included)
    Receive FREE Irish Standard & HD TV Channels
    With built-in DVB-T tuner (MPEG4)
    Receives Digital Teletext and Electronic Programme Guide
    With MHEG5 capable receiver
    Technical specifications: TV system: PAL/SECAM/DVB-T (MPEG2/4); Audio: 2 x 8W RMS (Dual Stereo/Nicam); Viewing angle: 178� horizontal/178� vertical; Response time: 8ms; Size (with base): 77.5 x 56.6 x 18.7cm; Weight (with base): 11.9kg; Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels; Contrast: 1,400:1; Brightness: 450cd/m�; 16:9 aspect ratio; Ports: 4 x HDML, 2 x Scart, 2 x USB; In: VGA, Aerial, AV, Composite Video; Out: Headphones, Digital audio
    (Digital Teletext Your receiver requires MHEG5 to display Digital Teletext. It provides richer text formatting and supports images. The current channel you are viewing stays on screen while you are browsing teletext)
    (Electronic Programme Guide An EPG is a programme guide embedded in digital broadcasts and viewable on your TV. The EPG holds 7 days of programming information for each channel listed on the EPG. With the EPG you are able to browse your TV channels comfortably, set reminders, schedule to view your favourite programmes and much more. Your TV/receiver must feature the MHEG5 standard to run the EPG fully.)
    (Irish Digital Terrestial TV (DTT) DTT was launched in Ireland in October 2010. All digital Irish standard and HD channels will be available come spring 2011.Service will be extended further over the following months. DTTwill completely replace analogue TV in Ireland by 2012. DTT allows for a larger number of channels to be broadcast while using less space compared to analogue. DTT provides excellent video and audio quality. The MPEG4 format allows even HD channels and digital surround sound information to be broadcasted in highest quality. It also provides interactive information services.)
    Digital aerial required. Requirements will vary depending on the coverage in your area

Seems decent and looks like it was €350 before xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

neacy69 wrote: »
    The TV link (404 error) seems to be down for me. I was trying to take a look at the specs...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Contrast: 1,400:1

Decent?? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Here's the Google cache of it.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.p.32inch_Full_HD_LCD_TV_with_MPEG4_Tuner

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I bought this tv when it was 350 in october or so. Great tv - no problems with it. Loads of connections, and the picture looks great - baring in mind it was my first HD tv.

Playstation 3 games looked savage and connecting up the laptop, external hard-drives (it plays xvid iirc) piece of piss.

Although trying to find the initial switch to turn it on took me and my dad about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

stimpson wrote: »
    Contrast: 1,400:1

Decent?? I don't think so.
    Assuming that's the static contrast ratio, it's not a bad deal (for €300)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

28064212 wrote: »
    Assuming that's the static contrast ratio, it's not a bad deal (for €300)

Sorry, but that's awful contrast. My 4 year old Samsung is 15,000:1

Here you go - £270 and they will deliver to the republic for 15 quid or pickup in Phillips store in town. 40,000:1 contrast.

http://richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=6&sub=44&productid=938

Sorry, but that's awful contrast. My 4 year old Samsung is 15,000:1

Here you go - £270 and they will deliver to the republic for 15 quid or pickup in Phillips store in town. 40,000:1 contrast.

http://richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=6&sub=44&productid=938

not like for like...

the one you posted isnt full hd, dosent have saorview, only 2 HDMI ports, no CI+ etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Worth a read:
    The Truth About Inflated HDTV Contrast Ratios

Just as resolution continues to increase on HDTV sets, so it seems does contrast ratio. I few years ago, digital displays were exclaiming how impressive a 1,000:1 contrast ratio was. Now 10,000:1 is not that uncommon. And since contrast ratio is more important to resolution in the production of a great picture, it sounds like these new displays should be amazingly fantastic. Unfortunately, these extremely high contrast ratios have little to do with real world performance and are, to a great extent, marketing hype.

First of all, it's necessary to understand the difference between the two types of contrast ratio measurements. The one used by pretty much every manufacturer out there is full on (100% white) / full off (100% black). While this can give some amazingly high numbers, people don't watch all-white or all-black screens. Comparing the brightest whites in one scene to the blackest blacks in another scene is not representative of the picture quality available at the exact instance the viewer is watching each scene. (Measuring the screens at 2 different times also allows further manipulation of the display between tests, such as switching to a different color wheel setting, changing the aperture of an iris, or taking the measurement at a more favorable location on the screen.)

The contrast ratio that matters most for the most common viewing scenarios is ANSI contrast ratio [1]. With ANSI contrast ratio, the black and white levels are measured at the same time on the same screen using a 16-square black and white checkerboard image. What this means is that it is representative of the contrast ratio achievable at any one point in time; this is what is really important to viewers. [Edit: see AlenK's comment below regarding situations where On/Off contrast ratio become important.]

The reason ANSI contrast ratios are not published is because of marketing. ANSI contrast ratios are much lower than on/off contrast ratios. An ANSI contrast ratio of 250:1 would be an impressive result and 600:1 would be outstanding — but much too low of a number if casually compared to an on/off contrast ratio of 6,000:1.

This info is for front projection and does not directly relate to flat panels:

One last point that is critical is the impact ambient light has on perceived contrast ratio. Ambient light kills contrast ratio on any and every display. If you make out the beige carpet below your flat panel, your contrast ratio is being negatively impacted. If there is 1 lux of ambient light in the room (i.e. a small candle), the max perceivable contrast ratio is 500:1. A dimly lighted room with 30 lux of lighting would squash the maximum perceivable contrast ratio to 50:1 [2]. Unless you have a completely dark room covered in black velvet, you'll never be able to perceive the high on/off contrast ratios claimed by manufacturers — those numbers are meaningless otherwise.

Conclusion: If you're looking to buy a new HDTV, don't place much merit on the contrast ratio published by the manufacturer; it is pretty much meaningless for real-world (a little bit of light in the room) viewing. Plus, I've never seen a review of a calibrated display meet or exceed the manufacturer published contrast ratios. Look for independent test results that measure both ANSI and On/Off contrast ratio on a properly-calibrated display. If you are always watching TV in a well-lit room, the contrast ratio doesn't really matter anyway; display brightness is more important the brighter the room is. But if you like to enjoy the full performance of your display by turning the lights off, high contrast ratio is extremely important.
    If you're considering a model for which no reviews listing ANSI and On/Off contrast ratio exist, use this rule of thumb:

1. CRT displays are pretty much the king of on/off contrast and give the best black levels, have great color reproduction, but lower ANSI contrast ratios [edited 2007-05-29]
    2. Plasmas offer almost the same (and often better) on/off contrast ratio performance as compared to CRT and can offer better ANSI contrast ratios.
    3. DLP is the best for digital front/rear projection displays
    4. LCoS (aka SXRD, DiLA) are very close to DLP
    5. LCD (both flat panels and front/rear projection) offers the poorest contrast ratios (especially on/off); however, they can be among the brightest flat panels and that makes them great for bright rooms where it is difficult to perceive contrast ratio.

Like always, there are some exceptions. Always look at a display yourself before you purchase it. LCD flat panels have great bang-for-the buck and look pretty good on a bright show-room floor. See if you can view and compare it in your normal viewing environment (a completely dark room, a very bright room) before you make your final decision. Plasmas have great black levels but are terrible for glare and reflection off the glass front screen; plasma + direct sunlight = unwatchable combination.

http://carltonbale.com/the-truth-about-inflated-hdtv-contrast-ratios

• Advertisement

It has MPEG4 and MHEG so would work with Saorview. Not Full HD, but neither is Saorview. I'd rather a quality 720p panel than a crappy 1080p one.

If you want full HD, richer sounds have a Phillips for £300 quid.

It has MPEG4 and MHEG so would work with Saorview. Not Full HD, but neither is Saorview. I'd rather a quality 720p panel than a crappy 1080p one.

Again that Philips dosent have saorview:

http://richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=27&productid=1087

and I cant see any info online about the LG being able to receive saorview either

so again not like for like....

It has MPEG4 and MHEG so would work with Saorview.
    Source? Everywhere I've seen it only mentions Freeview, which is Mpeg2
    That's a better comparison. €50 more (before delivery) for a TV with a lower brightness level (400cd/m2 vs 450), and, while 50,000:1 sounds a lot better than 1,400:1, that's dynamic vs static, so can't really be compared

EDIT: Oh, and on the subject of Philips and Saorview: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056150384

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

The LG is hardly "quality".
    Plus, like you say, there's £15 delivery, which brings the total up to over €330. So it's not really a like for like comparision.
    Not to mention the piece of mind of being able to bring it back to your local Lidl if something went wrong, as opposed to having to ship it back to Richersounds.

So although the Lg is good value for money, the Lidl one would be a better option for most.

Soarer wrote: »
    The LG is hardly "quality".
    Plus, like you say, there's £15 delivery, which brings the total up to over €330. So it's not really a like for like comparision.
    Not to mention the piece of mind of being able to bring it back to your local Lidl if something went wrong, as opposed to having to ship it back to Richersounds.

So although the Lg is good value for money, the Lidl one would be a better option for most.

For 3 years with no quibble...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Gipo3

The contrast ratio on that Samsung is surely exagerated.
    Also the Lidl tv comes with 3 years warranty. Practically no questions asked.

Source? Everywhere I've seen it only mentions Freeview, which is Mpeg2

Manual is here:

www.superfi.co.uk/extras/LG/LG-32LD320-manual.pdf
    That's a better comparison. €50 more (before delivery) for a TV with a lower brightness level (400cd/m2 vs 450), and, while 50,000:1 sounds a lot better than 1,400:1, that's dynamic vs static, so can't really be compared

EDIT: Oh, and on the subject of Philips and Saorview: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056150384

How do you know the Lidl one is Static? Tyhe only reason I bring it up is that my sister has a silvercrest LCD in the bedroom and the quality of the panel is awful - there are no blacks - only dark greys. I've had my Samsung side by side and there is a world of difference between them.

Point taken about the Phillips. I was just showing what was available for the money. Do your research and you'll get a far better TV for 300 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Manual is here:

www.superfi.co.uk/extras/LG/LG-32LD320-manual.pdf

How do you know the Lidl one is Static? Tyhe only reason I bring it up is that my sister has a silvercrest LCD in the bedroom and the quality of the panel is awful - there are no blacks - only dark greys. I've had my Samsung side by side and there is a world of difference between them.

Point taken about the Phillips. I was just showing what was available for the money. Do your research and you'll get a far better TV for 300 euro.

But you did your research, and still didn't show us "a far better TV for 300 euro".

Soarer wrote: »
    But you did your research, and still didn't show us "a far better TV for 300 euro".

I spent 10 minutes and came up with 2 alternatives. If I was buying myself I would take longer.

If it was my money I'd rather spend the 50 quid on a decent panel that I was going to be looking at for the next 5 to 10 years than on a Silvercrest, but don't let me stop you.

I don't see anything about an MPEG4 tuner in there?
    How do you know the Lidl one is Static? Tyhe only reason I bring it is is that my sister has a silvercrest LCD in the bedroom and the quality of the panel is awful - there are no blacks - only dark greys. I've had my Samsung side by side and there is a world of difference between them.
    I'm making the assumption it's static because saying contrast ratio when you mean dynamic contrast ratio is a good way to get yourself in trouble. What's the contrast ratio on your sister's? I have a 1400:1 contrast ratio TV (different brand) and the blacks are more than satisfactory (I wouldn't say amazing, but for the price, they're excellent, certainly not dark gray)
    Two alternatives? One which is a much lower spec, the other is similar for €50+delivery more expensive?

• Advertisement

I don't see anything about an MPEG4 tuner in there?

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Productinformation/LG_32LD320__7938461
    I'm making the assumption it's static because saying contrast ratio when you mean dynamic contrast ratio is a good way to get yourself in trouble. What's the contrast ratio on your sister's? I have a 1400:1 contrast ratio TV (different brand) and the blacks are more than satisfactory (I wouldn't say amazing, but for the price, they're excellent, certainly not dark gray)
    Haven't memorised the spec on my sisters TV. I have seen them side by side though. You can go into power city or DID and view most TV's before you hand over the cash. You can't do it with Lidl.
    Two alternatives? One which is a much lower spec, the other is similar for €50+delivery more expensive?

It's a different spec. I wouldn't agree that it's much lower. The thing that's going to make the single biggest difference to your viewing experience is the quality of the panel. And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the LG would wipe the floor with the Silvercrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

So what's the verdict, is this a good deal or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

clonadlad wrote: »
    Its a good deal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

clonadlad wrote: »

Best deal by miles. You may not get anything like that spec for €300 for a good while yet. I expect the price of the Saorview sets to go up in the Summer when the should be fairly plentiful. Reason being, manufacturers find the Irish market very small in international terms & the cost of certification is sure to find its way to the consumer. Grab it if you can, is my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Link working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Sikpupi

Excuse the STUPID question I am about to ask.....

<LI taggedByMe="true">"Irish Digital Terrestial TV (DTT) - DTT was launched in Ireland in October 2010. All digital Irish standard and HD channels will be available come spring 2011. Service will be extended further over the following months. DTT will completely replace analogue TV in Ireland by 2012. DTT allows for a larger number of channels to be broadcast while using less space compared to analogue. DTT provides excellent video and audio quality. The MPEG4 format allows even HD channels and digital surround sound information to be broadcasted in highest quality. It also provides interactive information services. "
    will I need a satalitte dish for this service or is there a 'built-in' feature to receive it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Excuse the STUPID question I am about to ask.....

will I need a satalitte dish for this service or is there a 'built-in' feature to receive it ??

No, the signal is picked up with the same aerial you use for TV3. If you can get TV3 with an aerial, you can get Saorview (Irish Digital Terrestial TV (DTT)).

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Again that Philips dosent have saorview:

http://richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=27&productid=1087

and I cant see any info online about the LG being able to receive saorview either

so again not like for like....

i have that phillips and it definitely has saorview

fairly crap tv though

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Im thinking of getting a flat screen TV at some point, one thing im not sure about with this one is Audio: 2 x 6W RMS (Dual Stereo/Nicam), is that OK?

It seems a bit lower that other TVs i was looking at; the last time i took the notion of buying one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

EI111 wrote: »
    i have that phillips and it definitely has saorview

fairly crap tv though
    Has it got the radio stations? As well as the digital Aertel?

Advertisement