Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sick of Inkjet cartridge prices? Laser Printer Bargain €59.99

Options
  • 21-01-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I'd decided to replace my Lexmark AIO X2230 purely because of the cost of cartridges and hit-and-miss results with refilling and clogging issues if it's not used for several weeks.

This is what I came up with based on value, availability and reviews -Samsung ML1665 Mono Laser Printer and the best deal I found is at Argos. €59.99! - you can pay that for some cartridge sets!
    specs:

Print speed - black text: 16ppm.
    Up to 600 x 1200dpi print resolution.
    Connectivity:USB.
    150 sheet paper capacity.
    Compatible with Windows 2000 or later, Mac.
    Size H18.4, W34.1, D22.4cm.
    Weight 5.8kg.

reviews indicate it ships with a cartridge that should do 700 pages and the weight suggests it's built like the proverbial brick-built-s********

You can get a replacement toner cartridge as recommended and conveniently linked from the ordering page here for €75

or you can get it in the same shop at 25% off here for €55.99

For those who type first and think later please note this is Mono -aka Black and White only. So it won't do colour photos etc and may not be a replacement for your current inkjet. But it's a killer deal for speed, reliability and cost of ownership. I especially like it because it will work even if you only use it for occasional printing and it has the grunt for high volume if required.

Stock is low so get clicking that reserve button.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Inkjet printers are fine, and very very cheap to run, I've never paid more than 99p for a replacement cart for my Epson and have it 5years+ working grand.
    my Lexmark
    There's your problem.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

https://www.inkjet.ie/index.php?pageid=4&product_id=215

€88 for 3 x blacks and 3 x colours, so less than 30 to replace cartridges for your printer. A lot cheaper than the toner, though not sure how many pages you would print from them.

edit, considering the laser printer is mono, to compare apples with apples, you would only need a black cartridge, 17 quid to buy individually (high capacity cartridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Whats the most cost effective make of a printer? one that takes replacements and won't break the bank. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

slave1 wrote: »
    Inkjet printers are fine, and very very cheap to run, I've never paid more than 99p for a replacement cart for my Epson and have it 5years+ working grand.

where to get those at 99p?
    Linkie-Linkie? Please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Dunnes in Northside & Charlestown have had Epson Ink Cartridges ranging for €1 to €2 lately. They were in baskets near the checkouts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

confuzed wrote: »
    where to get those at 99p?
    Linkie-Linkie? Please

Here for example, they charge more for P+P now, I generally get as part of a larger order to reduce the P+P impact

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Great price -I'm sick of my inket - unfortunately seems to be out of stock everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

iv got an epson with a ciss system so its win win for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

The HP Officejet 8000 is a stunning Inkjet when it comes to running costs, and is great value to buy new IMO:
    http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/hp-officejet-pro-8000---printer---colour---ink-jet-5HCC.html

I don't think it is any more expensive to run than my Laserjet 4000, although it probably wont still be working in 250,000 pages time like that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

maidhc wrote: »
    The HP Officejet 8000 is a stunning Inkjet when it comes to running costs, and is great value to buy new IMO:
    http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/hp-officejet-pro-8000---printer---colour---ink-jet-5HCC.html
    QUOTE]

Thank you for the recommendaion. How many ink cartridges does it take and how much are they?
    Any other recommendations guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It really does pay to work somewhere that has a printer and photocopier:D.
    I just got fed up of buying ink, biggest rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

cartidges for €1 or €2 euro. :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I get my Epson ones for about €2.50 each from www.justmedia.ie, been using them for a good while and reccomend them, www.inkjet.ie are also good but for most carts are more expensive than just media I find,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Once you use laser inkjet is for the bin ;-)

Refill the toner only, not the cartridge. £5 for about 2000-3000 sheets!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toner-refill-use-Samsung-ML-1610-printer-/230576596275?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printing_PrinterInkCatridges_JN&hash=item35af6fa533#ht_500wt_1156

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Lasers and inkjets have their pro's and cons... My only advice is to see how much the toner/ink costs before buying.

I always use places like inkmaestro.ie or the ones mentioned above for my toners. I've never had a problem with them..

Lasers do make sense if you do a lot of printing. Myself and the missus work from home and she runs a montessori so we print up a hell of a lot of pages. We've a colour laser at home and 1 colour and 2 BnW in the school. They work out much cheaper than inkjet and are far more reliable and faster. For normal home use, and epson inket with cheap ink would be perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

I know this is a little off topic so sorry, but when ye do buy the cartridges do you buy the real or compatable ones? The compatable ones are seriously cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

badker wrote: »
    Thank you for the recommendaion. How many ink cartridges does it take and how much are they?
    Any other recommendations guys?

€20 buys you the XL original cartridge which is good for about 2000 pages. It has 3x colour cartridges so you only need replace as you use them.

Also prints duplex, and has wireless or wifi depending on the model.

I run 7 or 8 printers in total, and have had every kind of inkjet under the sun, but that one is really exceptional when it comes to running costs and purchase price IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Can someone please point me towards where I can get a cheap cartridge for my Samsung SCX-4600?I've looked everywhere and can't find one for under €60!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

that samsung is a good printer, way faster than the ink gobbling inkjet I used to have. I bought it from amazon a couple of months ago for €80. definately worth €60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

For anyone interested, I find www.justmedia.ie the cheapest by far for Canon, Epson & Lexmark original & compatible cartridges.Toners are very competitive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The XL refillable cartridges like these are a great job.

REFILLLC612.jpg

https://www.printercartridges.net/printercartridgesstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=872

None of the messing about that refilling original type cartridges entails.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Nanoc wrote: »
    I know this is a little off topic so sorry, but when ye do buy the cartridges do you buy the real or compatable ones? The compatable ones are seriously cheaper!

Compatables of course, sure for many printers its cheaper to buy a new one than a set of origional ink*. Got my parents a Epson SX515W wifi printer, seriously good printer/scanner/photocopier/wifi etc and a set of replacement inks is just €7 :).
    laser has pros & cons, but good luck using a laser printer to print decent photographs, onto cds/dvds etc :D

*nearly :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

homer911 wrote: »
    Great price -I'm sick of my inket - unfortunately seems to be out of stock everywhere!

You can get it on Amazon too for similar money and it'd qualify for free shipping if that's any help.

It's a cracking printer if black and white works for you. Ready to print in seconds after power on and prints a page so fast you'll think it's still warming up. It also has a neat button that simply prints exactly what's on your screen.

Inkjet printers are fine, and very very cheap to run,
    Bit of an inaccurate generalisation?

As confirmed with:
    "My Lexmark" -There's your problem.

BTW I think my post stated fairly clearly I'd grasped the Lexmark was expensive to run so not sure why you're playing that fact back to me? Did you have a solution that doesn't entail a new printer and won't suffer problems with infrequent usage 'cos I'll still use the Lexmark when I need colour - about once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Amazon have various colour laser printers for between £100 - £120 not sure how good any of them are, I picked up this Xerox Phaser colour laser for just over €100 from another store here in Sweden on special offer a few weeks back and have found it to be excellent so far. Full set of compatible toner cartridges for it are £45 on Amazon so shouldn't be too expensive to run.

invest4deepvalue.com

what sort of printer you require depends on what your needs are. if you have low volume printing needs then an inkjet is fine. the all-in-one option gives you photocopying, scanning and photo printing too which is useful. wireless is also worth having if you don't print much - just stick the printer in an out-of-the-way place. you don't even need a wireless router - just create an ad-hoc network from your pc.
    this wireless inkjet all-in-one printer is a good deal and is well-reviewed, for a good price.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/hp-photosmart-wireless-e-allinone.html

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

I have two of the Samsung line of laser printers mentioned by the OP and can highly recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

yoyo wrote: »
    I get my Epson ones for about €2.50 each from www.justmedia.ie, been using them for a good while and reccomend them, www.inkjet.ie are also good but for most carts are more expensive than just media I find, Nick

I have Epson SX 515W found the justmedia cartridges (although cheaper) didnt really work for me, they left lines in the printing (or horizontal lines that didnt print, thought I screwed up my new printer with compatible cartridges) the inkjet ones do fine though
    Nanoc wrote: »

Inkjet compatible ones do fine for me, justmedia ones probably work just as well on other printers/makes

Anyone know where I can recycle my epson compatible cartridges? thats my only problem with inkjet, I asked them and they dont know

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    ..if you have low volume printing needs then an inkjet is fine.
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/hp-photosmart-wireless-e-allinone.html

Not in my experience - you may be right if you qualify that with regular low volume because I've found inkjet cartridges can clog -frequently irretrievably- if dormant for weeks. Even the recyclers can't recover them with steam, vacuum, etc.
    So I've had cost ratios that cost as bad as €30 for 10-20 pages max.

I had the original apple bubble jet (canon) and had the same issue so ultimately sprang for a laserwriter 300. Cost a bit but still works and I never put a cartridge into it - probably because I bought a spare for it at the same time.

Advertisement