Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Specsavers - how do they get away with it?

• 20-03-2017 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Full disclosure: I hate going for new glasses, this dates back to when I got my first credit card (long ago) I had promised myself a nice pair of glasses instead of the old medical card jobbies, armed with a 'special offer' - glasses and sunglasses for £100 I happily went in and before I know it I was being charged £578; coatings I 'had' to have, frame upgrades for just a little more etc etc - yes I swallowed it all.

Every experience with the optical chains since that has reinforced this, I honestly would rather deal with the roughest used car dealer than these 'professionals'.

Now, I had a lovely pair of raybans until I lost them last year, as summer is approaching i thought I'd get a new set with an up to date prescription so looked about online.

Specsavers seemed to offer a nice pair at a reasonable price of €89 and as the ad said 'comes with standard single vision lenses, a scratch-resistant treatment, case and cloth.' I thought I had a winner.

Their website promised me a free eyetest up to the 30th but found they preferred to go through PRSI when I tried to arrange a test; eh well okay.

Turned up for the test and all went swimmingly, their Navan staff are lovely, very easy to deal with.

So test done I mentioned that I'd seen a pair I liked and could I buy them, we selected the pair from the display (marked at €89 as per the web) and went to order, I was asked about thin lenses and coatings but as these are only really for the car I said no thank you, just the standard.
    The calculator came out and I was presented with a bill for €178, a little stunned I questioned this, thinking they were thinking I wanted 2x pairs but no, this was for the pair I'd picked with standard lenses.
    I mentioned the price from the website but was told that that was for the frames with 'standard' lenses, when I said that was what I wanted I was told that for 'sunglasses' I would require polarizing or tinted lenses, €60 and/or €89, that the 'standard' lenses that were free were clear lenses, I thanked them for their time, got my prescription and left, I've just ordered 2 pairs (one sunglasses and a spare set of clears) for €64 online so I'm very happy.

I'm just trying to understand how they can get away with that kind of carry on, surely there's some sort of advertising standard that's in breach here, selling sunglasses with standard lenses that aren't sunglasses unless you spend another €60 minimum for a tint, how can they describe clear lenses as standard sunglasses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

You wanted sunglasses. That requires the lenses to be tinted. Tinted lenses is not what most people require when they get glasses, it is something extra to the normal lenses, therefore they are not standard. In addition, the website clearly lays out what standard lenses are. Lens tints are listed under "lens extras". Surely you learnt after the first time to research before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Frigating wrote: »
    You wanted sunglasses. That requires the lenses to be tinted. Tinted lenses is not what most people require when they get glasses, it is something extra to the normal lenses, therefore they are not standard. In addition, the website clearly lays out what standard lenses are. Lens tints are listed under "lens extras". Surely you learnt after the first time to research before you buy

I think you have misunderstood me, I did not select glasses and want them to be made into sunglasses, I selected sunglasses specifically.

I wanted sunglasses, went to their sunglasses section, selected the frames I likes etc, how can they advertise Sunglasses?
    Linky

:confused: Where does it say that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Polarized lenses are expensive (as you'll have noted comparing against the prices where you bought online too); the quoted price was for standard lenses. No ripoff.

You can get sunglasses fitted with standard lenses just as you can get normal glasses fitted with polarised - bit pointless in both cases, but that's not the issue.

L1011 wrote: »
    Polarized lenses are expensive (as you'll have noted comparing against the prices where you bought online too); the quoted price was for standard lenses. No ripoff.

You can get sunglasses fitted with standard lenses just as you can get normal glasses fitted with polarized - bit pointless in both cases, but that's not the issue.

I think it is tbh, never heard of sunglasses with clear lenses, the picture on the website shows dark, I know they have some room on images but surely it's misleading, I know exactly how much polarizing costs but that's not my gripe, if I want to get anywhere near what is portrayed on their website I have to got to €149 despite a published price of €89, no T&Cs are mentioned on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't see how it's a rip-off.

• Advertisement

I don't see how it's a rip-off.

Really, priced at €89 but you have to give them €149 to get what's actually described while a similar product can be purchases for €32 (with lenses).

Refusing their own voucher over a PRSI claim?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bladespin wrote: »
    I think it is tbh, never heard of sunglasses with clear lenses, the picture on the website shows dark, I know they have some room on images but surely it's misleading, I know exactly how much polarizing costs but that's not my gripe, if I want to get anywhere near what is portrayed on their website I have to got to €149 despite a published price of €89, no T&Cs are mentioned on the page.

The page very clearly says "standard lenses".

The page very clearly says "standard lenses".

I'm sorry but standard lenses in sunglasses are dark IMO, extremely misleading and the end product would not match description either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Standard lenses are not tinted. I don't understand how you don't understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Really, priced at €89 but you have to give them €149 to get what's actually described while a similar product can be purchases for €32 (with lenses).

Refusing their own voucher over a PRSI claim?

We most have a different understanding of what standard lenses are!

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Standard lenses are not tinted. I don't understand how you don't understand this.

Maybe it's me but I honestly can't how you can describe an item as 'sunglasses' but supply them with clear lenses or expect a customer to pay double the advertised price to actually get the product pictured.

This morning, I purchased a pair of 'sunglasses' from a UK company, I called them to make sure the lenses were dark and the person on the other end of the line (who must have thought I had too much over the weekend) replied, of course - they're sunglasses.

We most have a different understanding of what standard lenses are!

I think we have a different understanding of what sunglasses are really!
    It's not just the lenses but as said already I would think standard lenses in sunglasses have some tint, I'd also expect a company to honor their own vouchers.

Oxford english dictionary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I am a very happy repeat Specsavers customer but come on lads ........ sunglasses with clear lenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Sunglasses with (standard) clear lenses. What fuggin' use would they be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

True but if he was looking at Ray Bans specifically you can bet good money it was a pair of tinted sunglasses as standard.

C3PO wrote: »
    I am a very happy repeat Specsavers customer but come on lads ........ sunglasses with clear lenses?

I used to be happy with them too, still am, kind of, I have bought soft contacts from them many times without an issue, they're lovely to deal with etc but it's the website offer that's bugging me, that and having wasted my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Anyone that can't see the OPs' point really needs to go to Specsavers. ;-)

IMO that's an out and out misleading advert, no ifs, buts or maybes .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Standard sunglasses lenses are - or should be. Otherwise you just sell / advertise them as glasses. I don't understand how you don't understand this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

OP - you are right. It is misleading.

Don't listen to the silly replies stating that it should be obvious etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, thought I was going mad, as someone who builds and sells custom microscopes I do honestly know the difference between filtered, polarized and standard lenses but I would never show a darkfield image to a customer if I was trying to sell them a bright field scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Has anyone posting here questioning the ability of OP to choose sunglasses without knowing they have dark lenses actually visited a Specsavers store?

They have a display with a price over it showing €89 etc and all of the glasses within that display (sold as sunglasses) have dark lenses - it is therefore reasonable to assume that is what you are purchasing for the price above the display.

I had intended to purchase prescription sunglasses in Specsavers myself in the next few weeks so will maybe test the waters now before I bother to spend too long picking out a pair.

If correct, and little reason to doubt OP it is extremely sharp practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Op, take a screenshot and report them to advertising standards.
    They are normally good at replying.

I usually get my eyes tested in specdaver and buy online.

I usually get my eyes tested in specdaver and buy online.

:D that's my approach from here on.

I'm sorry but standard lenses in sunglasses are dark IMO, extremely misleading and the end product would not match description either.

I don't find it even vaguely misleading, to be honest. As I said, you can get polarised lenses in "normal" glasses and v/v. The pricing is generic for different types of frames and very clearly specifies standard lenses.

It would be a consumer issue, not a rip off, anyway if the concern is about misleading info.

I don't find it even vaguely misleading, to be honest. As I said, you can get polarised lenses in "normal" glasses and v/v. The pricing is generic for different types of frames and very clearly specifies standard lenses.
    Really, I didn't look for normal glasses with any special lens, I was only looking for sunglasses, bog basic standard; which should have some tint as far as I'm concerned.
    In my view it's exactly the same as selling a car but charging extra for the wheels (which are actually in the product representative picture).
    It would be a consumer issue, not a rip off, anyway if the concern is about misleading info.
    I think leading with a price of €89 and then attempting to charge the customer €178 is a rip off tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Sorry to butt in but where do people buy glasses online? I just got new glasses but after a few weeks with my new frames I've started to hate them, definitely can't afford another pair at the price I paid!

rawn wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in but where do people buy glasses online? I just got new glasses but after a few weeks with my new frames I've started to hate them, definitely can't afford another pair at the price I paid!

I used Spex4 less this morning, one of our guys in the UK has used them many times and speaks very highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

rawn wrote:

Once you have your prescription there are plenty of online sites framesdirect.com one example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I mentioned the price from the website but was told that that was for the frames with 'standard' lenses, when I said that was what I wanted I was told that for 'sunglasses' I would require polarizing or tinted lenses, €60 and/or €89, that the 'standard' lenses that were free were clear lenses, I thanked them for their time, got my prescription and left, I've just ordered 2 pairs (one sunglasses and a spare set of clears) for €64 online so I'm very happy.

I'm just trying to understand how they can get away with that kind of carry on, surely there's some sort of advertising standard that's in breach here, selling sunglasses with standard lenses that aren't sunglasses unless you spend another €60 minimum for a tint, how can they describe clear lenses as standard sunglasses?
    Disclaimer: I've worked for Specsavers before (though not in Ireland) and a tint (colour and level) was always included on prescription lenses in the 2 for 1 offer price. Extras were driving tints, transitions and polarised lenses.

On single pairs the standard tint was always charged as an extra as well, or else you could purchase them off the shelf for the advertised price with no prescription.

Anti-reflective coating was also extra, but there is no way you would put that on a pair of sunglasses!

Price for single pair of prescription sunglasses =/ price of sunglasses on website.

From SS website, price should have been around €127 (€89 + €38) for standard tint or €178 for polarised

Advertisement