Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a chimney for cooker hood in Apartment?

• 19-09-2019 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Just bought an apartment, the current cooker hood is filter type. It's too weak. I want to buy a chimney type. but I'm not sure there is chimney in the kitchen. How can I confirm that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

You can put a chimney style type. But it won't vent to outside as you are unlikely to have an outside wall to went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ocer

peteb2 wrote: »
    You can put a chimney style type. But it won't vent to outside as you are unlikely to have an outside wall to went to.

Yes, That's the problem. I don't know I have a vent or not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I'd say if there was a chimney / venting in place, they would have installed a vented type extractor fan hood. I find the filter ones useless - especially for getting condensation out. It's an apartment, so you are probably snookered. You could maybe run ducting to an outside wall.....raises all sorts of management company and other issues.

If it's ceiling mounted you might be able to slide down a section of the hood and have a look to confirm no vent / chimney in place.

If the hood is beside an exterior wall you have a better chance of getting vented one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ocer

steamsey wrote: »
    I'd say if there was a chimney / venting in place, they would have installed a vented type extractor fan hood. I find the filter ones useless - especially for getting condensation out. It's an apartment, so you are probably snookered. You could maybe run ducting to an outside wall.....raises all sorts of management company and other issues.

If it's ceiling mounted you might be able to slide down a section of the hood and have a look to confirm no vent / chimney in place.

If the hood is beside an exterior wall you have a better chance of getting vented one in.

Thank you Very much for the constructive comment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most likely a charcoal activated filter which doesn’t need ducting to the external wall.

Maybe look at replacing that first and see if it helps.

If you try run ducting and core holes in the walls without permission you open yourself up to persecution by the landlord or management company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How old is the extractor unit? Any rented places I had they were always very old and just couldnt suck the volume of air needed, especially if you are doing smokey cooking on a wok. You need to figure out how many cublc metres your kitchen/living room is and then get an extractor to match. Newer units are a big improvement on what was on the market years back.

But before you do that take kceires advice and open it up, if there is a grease/charcoal filter replace it as if it is years old then thats what is likely clogging up the air flow. If that doesnt improve things then Id upgrade to a more modern unit with better suction.

Advertisement