Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Painting 1950's Kitchen Dresser

• 15-09-2019 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

We've got an old (roughly 50s/60s) dresser that used to belong to my Grandmother. It's not like a "fancy" country dresser with panneled doors, they're just plain (see attached image). Anyway, we recently got some small refub work done to it - replaced the bubble glass with stain glass, added T&G back and a skirting to the bottom. Now we need to paint it ...

I know that originally the frame would probably have been white and the doors a different color (currently brown, but looks like originally they were a turquoise/green color from scratching away the paint).

I want to paint it all one color (something like like a duckegg green like the original door colors), and then paint the inside white to tone this down a bit, along with white door knobs. I know this isn't in keeping with how it would have been originally, but I'm not very keen on the two-tone effect. And some of the doors don't line up 100% anymore (not enough that anyone would notice ... but I do :) ). I think putting the doors different colors will just highlight the fact that they don't line up.

Others in the house think that putting it all one color will be overwhelming and think we should stick with the original way it was painted. Just wondering, has anybody painted one of these before ? Do you have any thoughts on which way we should paint it ? Or do you have any photos you'd be willing to share ?

I've googled this quite a bit and haven't found any photos so far that really match our dresser. So any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IsThisOneFree

with image this time ... I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Here’s an older dresser I rescued few years ago.

36-A1-B12-E-FDDB-4049-8563-F2-A90-D39-A8-E6.jpg

It needed drawers replaced, new handles and locks, significant woodworm treatment.

We opted for a single colour throughout.

My kids use it as their baking supplies storage.

Better photo

Looks pretty similar to ours alright. Thanks very much for the photo, much appreciated

Ach sorry, knew I had another question ! What type of paint did you use ? Did you go for any of those new cupboard paints/chalk paint (doesn't look like chalk paint) that have started to emerge ? Or just regular gloss/matt sheen paint ? Did you go with a more expensive brand like farrow and ball, or just use one of the more household ones like dulux ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ach sorry, knew I had another question ! What type of paint did you use ? Did you go for any of those new cupboard paints/chalk paint (doesn't look like chalk paint) that have started to emerge ? Or just regular gloss/matt sheen paint ? Did you go with a more expensive brand like farrow and ball, or just use one of the more household ones like dulux ?

Sand the entire thing back, and use any paint that takes your fance, be it chalk paint for wood services or emulsions. Dont waste money on Farrow and ball for a project like this.

In fact id be hard pressed to use it at all. I had Farrow and Ball shades mixed elsewhere for less than half the price and painted the entire kitchen with it. Perfectly durable. delighted with the results.

Used chalk paint and wax.
    Was a torture and wouldn’t use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

_Brian wrote: »
    Used chalk paint and wax.
    Was a torture and wouldn’t use it again.

I also used Annie Sloan chalk paint once. Never again.
    I have painted lots of furniture without stripping what's there first, sometimes I use BIN as an undercoat, but it depends on what the original paint was. The vintage pieces would usually be a gloss and I think that would definitely need stripping off or sanding back first if you are using a modern paint.

I know there are lots of opinions on this but I have to say I love using Farrow and Ball. It's not just the colour (which I agree can be duplicated) but the other qualities of the paint. It is a little more expensive, but if I have spent time, money and love on a piece to bring it back to life, I think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Sorry for jumping in on this tread just wondering if you use farrow and ball or other standard paint,whats the best way of preventing chipping from happening. Say on a press door or wardrobe door something that gets used regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry for jumping in on this tread just wondering if you use farrow and ball or other standard paint,whats the best way of preventing chipping from happening. Say on a press door or wardrobe door something that gets used regularly.

Good primer. 3 coats of paint.

And keep some spare for touchups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

listermint wrote: »
    Good primer. 3 coats of paint.

And keep some spare for touchups

Cheers no matter what way you do it they always require a touch up here and there. I thought the chalk paint way was to avoid touch ups but seems to be just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Preparation, time, care.
    Chipping could happen because the paint has been laid on too thick on top of poor prep.
    Sand, prime, first coat and light sanding, second coat and light sanding, third coat. Wait until each coat has dried properly, I know there’s a temptation to get in there quickly, but let each coat dry and harden off before the next.

Advertisement